Carnival Triumph worth the risk?

Happytobee

I booked a cruise for this Aug for me, hubby, and boys 11 and 14.

I am scared of all the bad things I am seeing now about this ship. Should I be paranoid about the failed inspections? The ship will be in drydock soon. Does that mean it's on its last legs? Is there enough to do for the kids? Thanks for any information!

I don’t think it’s the SS Minnow or anything like that. In fact I’d guess that with the recentish issues, it’s probably under a heightened level of scrutiny by the big cheese at HQ.

I wouldn’t worry too much.

The Triumph is what inoculations are all about. Kidding.

You’ll have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Triumph in 2016 with our (then) 12 year old. We didn't have any issues, and he had a great time. All ships have to go to drydock every so often (I think about every 5 years). There are rumors that the Triumph may get more than the normal refreshment, but I don't really know. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Triumph again.

We sailed on the Triumph in 2016 with our (then) 12 year old. We didn't have any issues, and he had a great time. All ships have to go to drydock every so often (I think about every 5 years). There are rumors that the Triumph may get more than the normal refreshment, but I don't really know. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Triumph again.

This. :D:D

Well cursing with Carnival is risky. In my experience the greatest risks include.

1. Gaining too much weight.

2. Getting a bad sun burn for staying it the sun too long.

3. Becoming so addicted cruises its the only vacation you take

4. The post cruise depression starts when you disembark at the end of the cruise.

We have been on the Triumph twice and I would go again without hesitation. She's not my favorite ship, but she was our first cruise ship and we got addicted, so it obviously wasn't bad! Due to our schedules we can really only do 4-5 night sailings and have been happy with both Triumph cruises. The last one was better than the first. (Aug 2017)

I just got back from the Triumph from last week's cruise for my birthday. I enjoyed myself and it was the smoothest cruise I've ever experienced being I'm prone to sea sickness and we had a forward cabin. I liked the ship. It was very clean.

Sailed on the Triumph at the beginning of the month. I too was worried about all the negative reviews, but I had a great time. Part of that was from the other passengers on board, and part was from me having an open mind. There weren’t a ton of kids when I sailed, but the kids I saw seemed to enjoy themselves. I can’t speak for the camps though. I’ll give some highlight and a few tips.

1. Sail away party was fun even though we left two hours late. No explanation given but it didn’t ruin the cruise. 2. Cinco de Mayo deck party was a blast...again, awesome cruisers on board.

3. Nijah’s calypso was good although he plays better than he sings. Request “Ordinary People”.

4. Larsen the steward was top notch! Ship was very clean. Only found a slight sewage smell on deck three near the lobby on last day but it was gone by that night.

5. CD Jenn(?) the American was a lot of fun...FYI she loves line dances.

6. Comedians John Wesley Allen and Al Katz were great, but in different ways. Al’s adult show was tamer than John’s, so if swearing or talking about sex offends you, go to the PG show for John. Both were good and tke kids will probably like the early show.

7. Ridge Asia was a good band. They got the crowd dancing.

8.Pizza and burgers were good, especially the prosciutto and arugula pizza. MDR food got better each night. Filet was divine, but skip the shrimp cocktail. Guava orange juice and the omelets were good for breakfast.

9. Harry Potter trivia was fun.

And for a few tips

1. Lido buffet gets kind of crazy, but there’s a short buffet station in the middle by the stairs to the second deck of the buffet. It never had a long line, especially at breakfast. This is probably the most important thing to remember.

2. The ice cream machine by the Seafood Shack on the aft of the lido had shorter lines.

3.I didn’t think my Bottomless Bubbles was worth it at all. Sodas were flat and the lemonade was very good.

4. If you drink, get a guava margarita from BlueIguana (you’re welcome).

5. No one was on the deck outside the capitol bar on deck by guest services. Great quiet place to enjoy the view.

6. There are board games to check out or you can bring one. I saw lots of kids playing card games.

7. There were family movies on the lido deck but I didn’t get to watch any.

Wow... that was long. If you’re a family that enjoys having fun, don’t let every little thing ruin your trip, and enjoy being around and meeting all kinds of interesting people, you’ll be fine. I got a little bored on day 2 just hanging on the deck, but had a blast on day 4, and I already booked another cruise on another ship. It really is addictive.

Edited by NauticalNeophyte
Sp

We cruised on the Triumph in April. It had been 4 years since our last cruise and our first one on the Triumph. I was apprehensive with all the talk of Carnival cutbacks. We thouroughly enjoyed our cruise. We enjoyed the food, drinks, entertainment, and service. There were not many children onboard, so I cannot speak to that concern.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got off the triumph today and could not wait to get home. The ship was clean and safe but the food is just awful. Eating my wife’s spaghetti with meat sauce tonight and it will be the only decent meal I have had in five days.