Thought on Zaandam 22 day Anarctic Cruise

wesport

After over 20 Holland America cruise's our Valparaiso to Buenes Aires Antarctic cruise is still number 1!

We did it on the Veendam and just loved it.

We did Manchu Piichu and Iguazu Falls pre and post cruise on our own. Awesome adventure.!

We also had a great Roll Call and wonderful CC members.

Book Am Danno!

Sounds terrific! We are sailing BA to Valparaiso December 1. Unfortunately no Antarctica on that itinerary. I have booked a pre cruise tour to Iguazu Falls through HAL but would love not to have to pay the premium prices. Can you share a bit about how you did the falls excursion on your own?

Sent from my K00L using Tapatalk

Sounds terrific! We are sailing BA to Valparaiso December 1. Unfortunately no Antarctica on that itinerary. I have booked a pre cruise tour to Iguazu Falls through HAL but would love not to have to pay the premium prices. Can you share a bit about how you did the falls excursion on your own?

We visited Iguazu on our own before our SA cruise on the Celebrity Infinity in 2011. You can read about it and see lots of photos in our review on our website. Here is a link to that review LINK. Iguazu is amazing and you will be so glad you went.

While you miss Antarctica there are some awesome sights along your way; expect a fabulous cruise. I believe our location guide Ryan will be back on the Zaandam next season; do not miss his presentations.

I'll shared what I did for my Iguazu tour, if you have a sense of adventure:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Buenos-Aires/4-Day-Tour-to-Iguazu-Falls-from-Buenos-Aires/d901-3851BAIF

Here's also the entry from my blog for the day of arrival in Iguazu. There are links at the very bottom of each entry for the next day:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/day-iguazu1-thursday-friday-march-16-17-buenos-aires-to-iguazu/

One suggestion if you plan to go to Iguazu on your own. Book a hotel for the night you arrive in BA and also a night after returning before boarding the ship. Luggage space on either a bus or flight to Iguazu is very limited and I stored most of my baggage at my BA hotel while in Iguazu.

Roy

While you miss Antarctica there are some awesome sights along your way; expect a fabulous cruise. I believe our location guide Ryan will be back on the Zaandam next season; do not miss his presentations.

I'll shared what I did for my Iguazu tour, if you have a sense of adventure:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Buenos-Aires/4-Day-Tour-to-Iguazu-Falls-from-Buenos-Aires/d901-3851BAIF

Here's also the entry from my blog for the day of arrival in Iguazu. There are links at the very bottom of each entry for the next day:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/day-iguazu1-thursday-friday-march-16-17-buenos-aires-to-iguazu/

One suggestion if you plan to go to Iguazu on your own. Book a hotel for the night you arrive in BA and also a night after returning before boarding the ship. Luggage space on either a bus or flight to Iguazu is very limited and I stored most of my baggage at my BA hotel while in Iguazu.

Roy

That tip about baggage en route Iguaza is helpful. I hadn't considered this. :-)

• 3 months later...

I apologize if some has already asked this question, but I couldn't find the answer if they did.

With regards to the temperature in January when cruising around Antarctica, what average temperatures can we expect? In Fahrenheit on a pretty day, like those in the above pictures, is the average around 30-40, 40-50, 50-60 or 60-70? Just trying to figure out what type of warm clothing to wear on our upcoming cruise. Thanks!

I apologize if some has already asked this question, but I couldn't find the answer if they did.

With regards to the temperature in January when cruising around Antarctica, what average temperatures can we expect? In Fahrenheit on a pretty day, like those in the above pictures, is the average around 30-40, 40-50, 50-60 or 60-70? Just trying to figure out what type of warm clothing to wear on our upcoming cruise. Thanks!

Go with the lower end of your ranges, and be prepared to take a layer off. I have been there on warm days, with no wind and the sun shining---somewhere around 50º, maybe. I have also been there when it looked the same, but the wind was bitter, bringing the wind chill way down. I've seen it snow, with a little build up of the stuff, so figure around 30º.

Don't forget, you will need clothes for very hot weather, too. You can put a heavy coat over lighter weight clothes for some days.

Go with the lower end of your ranges, and be prepared to take a layer off. I have been there on warm days, with no wind and the sun shining---somewhere around 50º, maybe. I have also been there when it looked the same, but the wind was bitter, bringing the wind chill way down. I've seen it snow, with a little build up of the stuff, so figure around 30º.

Don't forget, you will need clothes for very hot weather, too. You can put a heavy coat over lighter weight clothes for some days.

Thanks Ruth! That's the exact information my DW and I were hoping to hear.

Don't worry about tough passage...big storm blowing through when we went but Captain took us a day early (missing Ushuaia) so we were fine...our favorite cruise! Shall do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also wondering about sea conditions? I know it varies, but as I am a fair weather sailor I am nervous about how bad it might be? Though it sounds incredible!

From what I gather, the drake passage at times can be rough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fabulously so. :D (I realize not everyone appreciates that.)

enhance

(photo by turtles06 taken aboard National Geographic Explorer)

Also wondering about sea conditions? I know it varies, but as I am a fair weather sailor I am nervous about how bad it might be? Though it sounds incredible!

You could find the Drake Lake, or the Drake Shake. Can't predict, or you could have a different one in each direction.

My friend has a severe problem with rough seas, but she was careful to take what works for her, and was able to get through a very rough crossing. She thought the time in Antarctica was worth the crossing enough to book a return trip.

I know that I am an odd sort when it comes to the issue of when King Neptune is having his bad days. But, I book a cruise to enjoy the ocean experience as much as anything else. While I prefer not seeing the white bags along the railings in the elevator foyers or the bowl of green apples on the Front Office counter , seeing the ocean in its many states, as difficult as they may be to endure, is an important and memorable part of the cruise experience that I enjoy.

I know that I am an odd sort when it comes to the issue of when King Neptune is having his bad days. But, I book a cruise to enjoy the ocean experience as much as anything else. While I prefer not seeing the white bags along the railings in the elevator foyers or the bowl of green apples on the Front Office counter , seeing the ocean in its many states, as difficult as they may be to endure, is an important and memorable part of the cruise experience that I enjoy.

We agree we you. We recently were on a HAL cruise to Hawaii and enjoyed the two days of swales each way we cruised through in the middle of the Pacific, especially when doing our daily walks around the promenade.