Solo Lady on the Zaandam

Mitzi_Muffin

It does seem to be a Noah's Ark world, even after we board the ships. But your friend will find other solo cruisers, especially if she makes an effort to go looking for them.

There will most likely be 'Single & Solo Travelers' get-togethers, and if the timing works, she could make an appearance. She should also be willing to start conversations with others, and join in activities.

There are plenty of opportunities for a solo to meet up with others.

My friend is travelling alone going to South America in March on the Zaandam, she is getting quite nervous, do many people travel solo, she is very friendly so I am sure she will be OK.

I am too. You didn’t mention which itinerary she is on. If it’s the same cruise, I’m willing to meet up with her. I’m boarding the 3rd.

As others have suggested, she might want to join CC and sign in to her RollCall.

She might also want to visit the Solos Board as there is lots of ideas, tips and support there from solos who have cruised extensively.

I’ve found solo travel to be scary, stressful, interesting and incredibley relaxing. I’m fairly shy, so I’ve had to push myself and get out of my comfort zone, and I’ve found I enjoy it.

This will be my 4th solo, and I can’t wait for my DH to join me in the near future, now that he gets more vacation. (Job changes really mess up vacation accrual).

• 1 month later...

I took my first ever cruise on the NA in December solo. I met several people that I have been chatting with and I just booked the 22 day SA/Antarctica cruise with a lady I met on there. Traveling solo can be fun, if expensive, because you are accountable to no one. But She will meet people. It's inevitable as you are on a ship. People were so incredibly friendly. That cruise was the best decision I have made in my adult life.