Petra!: Profile, Tips, Insights??

TLCOhio

Just booked an exciting itinerary from Athens to Dubai with Oceania over 20 days, Nov. 16-Dec. 6, 2018, that includes a stop in the Jordan area that would allow us to experience Petra, etc. Very excited as it would also involve our first opportunity to visit the Holy Lands, Egypt, etc.

On Petra, just saw in the San Francisco Chronicle today a story from earlier this month that has this headline: Petra an archaeological oasis in the desert of Jordan with some of these highlights: “There is no denying that Petra is one of the Middle East’s greatest attractions. For a few centuries B.C., the Nabataeans carved civilization from the massive stone valley walls on the back of wealth from the spice trade. Eventually trade routes shifted, the Romans came in, and ultimately earthquakes in the fourth and sixth centuries sent Petra into obscurity. The first impression is without question Petra’s most overtly spectacular, made all the more thrilling because it can be glimpsed only at the end of a half-mile-long corridor slicing between vertical stone walls that rise up to 600 feet.

Lots of interesting details and background in this detailed profile for this area, including about Lawrence of Arabia, the desert of Wadi Rum, etc. Looking forward to learning more. Any tips, ideas and suggestions to share from those who have visited here, private tour companies, etc.? Don't be shy!! Love reading any and all insights and experiences from this area. Our ship, the Oceania Nautica, will be docked at Aqaba, Jordan, from 6 am to 8 pm.

The author noted: "Erosion had given the massive sandstone formations a quality of dripping rock such as Gaudí might have imagined."

Full story at:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/Petra-an-archaeological-oasis-in-the-desert-of-12333491.php

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 189,938 views for this posting.

We are going to visit Petra in April, while on the Constellation. If you have not already seen this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCoyRrylVrg, I highly recommend it. It is just gorgeous and shows many of the places that neither of us will have time to visit during a port stop; plus obviously areas of Petra that we will be able to see. Until I booked this cruise, I had no idea how large Petra is. I can't wait to see it.

I don't know how long you will be in Israel; but you might want to check out our review of our Holy Land cruise on the Constellation last year, where we spent 3 days and saw so much of that amazing country. You can get to the review through the link in my signature. We also visited Egypt 9 years ago on a river cruise. Truly amazing. Have fun researching, it sounds like an awesome cruise.

Just got back from a cruise on the Azamara Journey from Athens to Dubai. We did a 2 day private tour to Luxor with Your Egypt Tours, and took the ship’s 1 day excursion to Petra. Both were fantastic and I’d definitely recommend them. We loved Petra, but it is quite hard work, especially coming back. We were there about 3 hours in total, walked 5 or 6 miles and didn’t get any further than just past the amphitheatre.

You can take a carriage, but it costs about $50 and didn’t look at all safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Terry,

Have cruised to Aqaba a couple of times a few years back - an afternoon and a full day on both occasions, and have visited both Petra & Wadi Rum.

Both are well-worthwhile. Whether you can do justice to both in your one day is very debateable, but you do have a late sailing.

Unless things have changed (which I doubt), Aqaba is a secure port - there are no taxis on-spec at the quay & you can't walk through the port. So you have to fix a tour in advance unless there's a shuttlebus. Theoretically you can get a taxi at the port gate or in town but your time is at a premium & you might have difficulty (including language & currency) in negotiating a ride.

Petra is about 2 hours from Aqaba, and is worth a bare minimum four hours.

Or Wadi Rum is something under an hour from Aqaba. The visitor centre has virtually nothing to offer other than bathrooms & drinks, and Wadi Rum isn't worthwhile unless you take a minimum 90 minutes 4x4 excursion from the visitor centre across the desert past the Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Or if you want to visit both, the diversion off the Petra road to Wadi Rum will add about 40 minutes to your travel time, ie total day's travel time about 4 hrs 40 mins..

Easiest to understand on this map

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Aqaba,+Jordan/Wadi+Rum+Village,+Jordan/Petra,+Jordan/Aqaba,+Jordan/@29.9288076,34.6802697,9z/data=!4m27!4m26!1m5!1m1!1s0x15007039ff2efa81:0x595faa556d2e6acc!2m2!1d35.0063209!2d29.5320522!1m5!1m1!1s0x150092cf983251f9:0x13e9c8120714754!2m2!1d35.4210372!2d29.574299!1m5!1m1!1s0x15016ef1703b6071:0x199bf908679a2291!2m2!1d35.4443622!2d30.3284544!1m5!1m1!1s0x15007039ff2efa81:0x595faa556d2e6acc!2m2!1d35.0063209!2d29.5320522!3e0!4e1

So with a 7am start, no lunch-stop, and back at the ship by 7 pm, you'd have up to about 6 hours at Petra.

Combining both is certainly possible, whether it's advisable is up to you. I'd certainly give it consideration with an early night before and a lazy sea-day after.

If the ship offers that Petra/Wadi Rum combo I'd book it.

You know, Terry, that you'll not be getting best value with ship's tour. And you know you'll be regimented to some degree (tho the Wadi Rum 4x4 is about 6 to 8 people per vehicle, and you can wander Petra by yourselves if you don't want to tag along with the guide). But with a long day & long distances in remote desert the combo is probably best done with the ship.

Done independently, whether to visit Wadi Rum on the way out or on the way back will depend on opening hours and sunset time. You'd need to take the advice of your provider.

If you choose to book something independently, for Petra do check whether it includes admission (it's expensive) and for Wadi Rum check if it includes the 4x4 (I don't know the cost).

Aqaba town is very limited & very boring.

Theoretically you can cross into Israel, the border is just off the town centre & the Israeli resort town of Eilat is just four miles from the border - but you have to walk across & hope there's a taxi available on the other side.

Ship may offer the Dead Sea (Jordanian side) from Aqaba - but that'll be a journey of 3 hours & not worthwhile.

Far better to consider the Dead Sea with Jerusalem from your overnite Haifa stop.

So it's very much Petra or Wadi Rum or both. If you choose just the one, I think Petra wins hands-down.

At Petra it's a hike of about three-quarters of a mile from the parking lot across to & down the siq (ravine) to The Treasury.

The siq is long but not overly steep & it's smooth pavement. There are two-wheel / 2 passenger horse-drawn buggies for the siq. They're cheap to go down (they mainly go down empty) but they'll screw what they can to come back up - supply & demand, and they're hard negotiators.

From the Treasury onwards it's pretty level but very stony - careful choice of footwear. A lot of folk don't get further than the Treasury, but still find the visit very worthwhile.

There are horses at the bottom if you want to go across to the (?) monastery.

There are also camels at the bottom, but they're just for the experience & not for getting you from A to B. Don't take photos with the camels & certainly don't get on one even if you're told you can get on for free - they WILL want money. Same with camels elsewhere on your cruise, including Wadi Rum.

I know you like to do your research, and you'll very definitely find it well worthwhile in Israel, Jordan & Egypt.

For Wadi Rum the Lawrence connection - and the first major success of the Lawrence-inspired WW1 Arab uprising, the raid from Wadi Rum to take Aqaba from the Turks.

For Petra, the unique way the Treasury was constructed. And the valley's water supply - including the hewn-out waist-level water channel down the siq and the dam at the head of the valley above the Treasury.

The weather in the Red Sea is excellent at that time of year - it's cheap winter sun for us Brits.

But Wadi Rum & especially Petra are in the high desert, they can be cold, and late in the day they will be cold.

Well worth playing safe and taking a warm coat or thick sweater - on arrival you can decide whether to leave them on the bus/car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our ship (not Oceania) organised out Jordanian visas, added to our on-board account, just a few dollars.

Ditto Egypt, but I think it was free. And Egyptian immigration officials boarded at the previous port as all-found guests of the ship, & sorted the visas en-route. (They still haven't replied to my job application :D)

No need for Jordanian currency.

You can use plastic if you need to pay Petra admission.

Street traders & such accept USD, Euros (including one and two-Euro coins), and GBP (incl £1 coins). And possibly Egyptian pounds if they have to.

Much the same for your Egyptian ports.

Euros widely accepted (and prices often advertised in Euros) at tourism outlets in Haifa, USD accepted at some tho probably poorer value.

Great itinerary.

JB :)

Terry thanks for posting this.

We have been to Petra twice and want to go back a third time.

It is one of the most extraordinary places we have visited.

I highly recommend doing the visit privately and not on a ships tour.

Usually the private guides will arrange for someone from the site to take you around it. You can cover so much more privately and not get the distractions of a ships tour.

The weather you have will also make the visit different. First time it was hot and humid and sunny and second time cooler and cloudy and you saw different colors based on sun versus clouds.

Keith

Have cruised to Aqaba a couple of times a few years back - an afternoon and a full day on both occasions, and have visited both Petra & Wadi Rum. Both are well-worthwhile. Whether you can do justice to both in your one day is very debateable, but you do have a late sailing. Unless things have changed (which I doubt), Aqaba is a secure port - there are no taxis on-spec at the quay & you can't walk through the port. So you have to fix a tour in advance unless there's a shuttlebus. Great itinerary. JB :)

WOW!! Super appreciate these great details, experiences and follow-ups. Wonderful background from John Bull, Keith, Host Grandma Cruising and MVPinBoynton. YES, we are planning to set-up a private tour to allow us to maximize the experience and time in these historic areas. Keep it coming! Loving these info items, etc. Nice video. Will be copying this information to my laptop file and sharing with our friends traveling with us.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,256 views for these postings.

In May, 2012 we were docked in Aqaba from 5AM until 8PM and four of us booked a Wadi Rum and Petra private tour with Via Jordan (http://www.viajordan.com) for $102 pp. (A 50% deposit was required via wire transfer.) That included lunch at Al Qantarah Restaurant at Wadi Musa (http://www.al-qantarah.com). We hired donkeys (had to pay for those out of pocket and I don’t remember the cost) to take us out of Petra rather than walking back the exact same way. Our guide was Ashraf H. Alnawafleh and he told us his father was born and raised in a Petra cave. True or not he was a really good guide. It was an awesome day!! We will be back in 2019 and plan on booking the same guide, if possible, for a Petra-only day so that we can “hike” to some of the places at Petra that we didn’t get to last time. However, I’m very glad I did both Wadi Rum and Petra the first time. I wouldn’t have wanted to miss either one.

Here’s a summary:
Early morning pick up from Aqaba port at 7:00 AM, transfer to Wadi Rum (50 Minutes drive), to the visitor centre and from Rum village, start a jeep tour in the desert for 2 hours. Drive to Petra (1 hour 45 Minutes drive), have lunch and then begin a guided tour from the main gate to the Basin, through the Siq, to the Treasury, the Nabatean Roman Theater, the Roman road (Cardo) to the basin, and then transfer back to Aqaba ( 2 hours drive, approx. Time 6:00PM)

Rate per person in US Dollars

2 - $299

3 - $239

4-6 - $204

Rates included:

- Meet and assist at Aqaba Port,

- All sightseeing and transfers by A/C modern 7-seater van,

- Entrance fees to Petra,

- English speaking guide - Ashraf H. Alnawafleh

- Lunch in Petra (Al Qantarah Restaurant)

- Horse ride in Petra,

- Jeep safari at Rum for 2 hours

We are scheduled to go to Petra will we see any of Wadi Rum on the way. We are on a ship's tour and I am too uncomfortable booking a private tour given the distance and unforeseen traffic problems that might occur.

We have another desert experience in Sinai Desert from the port of Sharm-El-sheikh, Egypt does anyone have any experience to know if it will even be close to the expanse and magnificence of the Wadi Rum?

We are scheduled to go to Petra will we see any of Wadi Rum on the way. We are on a ship's tour and I am too uncomfortable booking a private tour given the distance and unforeseen traffic problems that might occur.

We have another desert experience in Sinai Desert from the port of Sharm-El-sheikh, Egypt does anyone have any experience to know if it will even be close to the expanse and magnificence of the Wadi Rum?

The Wadi Rum turning is about 40 minutes out of Aqaba,.where the railway bears away from the Desert Highway. The Seven Pillars of Wisdom are about 12 miles down that side road. No, I don't think you'll see anything of consequence from the Desert Highway, but you could ask the driver or guide to let you know when, & then check what's to be seen to the right-hand side of your road.

Closest US equivalent to Wadi Rum that I can think of (& it's not very close) is Monument Valley in winter - deep in sand rather than snow

Much nearer Petra you're in high desert, and there are a couple of viewpoints on the left with elevated panoramic views of rocky desert as far as the horizon. Coaches normally stop at one for a short break & photo-opportunity.:)

Sharm El Sheikh is a purpose-built resort town - no history, no historic sights of note, nothing very "Egyptian" about the place, and surrounded by desert for many many miles. It's for Northern Europeans' & Russians' winter sun - sun-bathing, restaurants, bars & such.

The snorkelling & sub-aqua at Sharm are amongst the very best in the world - if that's your scene, that's the way to spend your day in Sharm.

We drove out into the desert in an ATV group (there are several depots in Sharm). Great fun, but the scenery was far from spectacular. On ATVs of course we only went a few miles into the desert, it's much more rugged further from the coast so I'm sure your trip will be worthwhile.

JB :)

We were on Celebrity Constellation cruise November 12 and went to Petra.

We did a Petra and Wadi Rum tour with Abullah and it was excellent. He is a very nice guy and very efficient.

There was a group of 12 and he organised a big bus for us which was very comfortable.

The tour was about 200usd a person which includes the entry fee to Petra of 72usd.

We spent about 3 hours in Petra and about 1.5 hours in Wadi Rum including a visit to a Bedouin camp.

Overall it was an excellent tour.

Abdullah is very good, speaks perfect English and explains things well.

His email address is abdullahamra37@gmail.com

We went from Sharm to St Catherine’s monastery at the base of Mount Sinai. That was very interesting. It’s the site of the Burning Bush and there’S a plant there that they say is the bush!

Appreciate ALL of these continued great follow-ups and posting that are so interesting and helpful. Keep up the great sharing that aids our research and planning!! Hopefully everyone will continue to provide added info, postings, experiences and smart ideas for around Petra, Sharm-El-sheikh, Wadi Rum, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,110 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article, Terry - thanks for sharing. We visited Israel/Jordan last October and enjoyed 3 weeks touring the amazing sights. After Jerusalem, Petra, Masada & Caesarea Maritima were my favorite sites but there are so many amazing sights to see that another visit by us is warranted in the future. Enjoy your cruise - it looks wonderful.

Interesting article, Terry - thanks for sharing. We visited Israel/Jordan last October and enjoyed 3 weeks touring the amazing sights. After Jerusalem, Petra, Masada & Caesarea Maritima were my favorite sites but there are so many amazing sights to see that another visit by us is warranted in the future. Enjoy your cruise - it looks wonderful.

Appreciate these great comments and this nice follow-up. Very helpful and inspiring as to why visiting these areas are a high, top priority.

But, first, we have a late January 2018 departure, doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. The excitement is building . . . for both trips.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,257 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry,

Look forward to another awesome review from you on Oceania...The Ncl Star visited Aqaba twice this year and private tours were arranged through Jordon Horizons...they have 7 seater vans and larger buses with free Wi-Fi.

The first cruise was blogged by Heather...this is her review.

https://travelswithheather.com/petra-the-rose-city/

Price was around $150 p/p including entry fees

Edited by aussie cruzer

Petra is a fabulous site, like nothing else I've visited.

I would avoid any temptation to include more than just a visit to Petra itself if you only have a single day from your ship. Many people visit the site and don't realize how much there is to see there -- sadly, quite a few of them are on tours that only visit the small area at the end of the Sik that includes the "treasury" and the amphitheater. Try to find the time and energy to visit the rest of the site, including the royal tombs, the "monastery" and the vast temple site....

Appreciate these additional postings and the great info follow-ups. Keep 'em coming!! From Travel+Leisure magazine this month, they have this headline: Best Places to Travel in 2018 with their highlighting of Jordan.

They featured these key details: "History buffs and intrepid travelers have long been attracted to Jordan and its famous archaeological site of Petra, a 'lost' citadel dating back 2,000 years. And despite political unrest in the broader region, the country remains a safe destination to discover the wonders of the Middle East. After playing out Indiana Jones fantasies amid the rose-colored, rock-cut façades of Petra’s famous landmark, Al Khazneh (the Treasury), set out to unearth the nation’s other historical attractions. In the lesser-known city of Jerash, 170 miles from Petra, you can see the ruins of an ancient Roman settlement, including the second-century Hadrian’s Arch, while in the protected desert wilderness of Wadi Rum, you’ll find some 25,000 rock carvings that trace the early development of the alphabet. Beyond offering a glimpse into ancient history, Jordan is also making a name for itself as a luxury destination. Hilton opened the Dead Sea Resort & Spa in March 2017. Located at the lowest point on earth, some 1,345 feet below sea level, the resort offers beach access, Middle Eastern cuisine, and treatments containing the mineral-rich black mud.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2018#nacujam-bay-croatia

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 3 months later...

So very grateful to all from the background info on Petra...was reluctant to book it because it is labelled "strenuous" but, after reading your posts have decided to go for it even if I only make it to the Treasury...thanks again

Do try to get as far as the amphitheatre, it’s not too much further than the treasury, and there is a cafe and toilets there so you can have a rest and refresh. We managed to get there, but decided to go no further as we were quite tired and knew we had to walk back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do try to get as far as the amphitheatre, it’s not too much further than the treasury, and there is a cafe and toilets there so you can have a rest and refresh. We managed to get there, but decided to go no further as we were quite tired and knew we had to walk back.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and added information. Very helpful above from Host Grandma Cruising!! Did have a question as we move forward with our planning for our time in Jordan.

Wadi Rum?: Seems like an interesting area as shown by the three below visuals. But to do a stop at Wadi Rum, it would mean departing earlier for our day at Petra and make it an overall much longer day in the area. But, Wadi Rum does look nice and interesting. Anybody been there? Worth making the effort and spending the time to get there during our upcoming Athens to Dubai cruise later this year?

It is called the "Valley of the Moon" that has been cut into the sandstone and granite rock of southern Jordan about 37 miles to the east of our docking port at Aqaba. This area might be best known for its connection with British officer T. E. Lawrence (as in the movie "Lawrence of Arabia") who had passed through this region several times during the Arab Revolt of 1917–18.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

From the Bing website, here are three views from the Wadi Rum area of Jordan. Reactions and/or experiences from those who have visited there?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

wadi-rum%20Cliffs%206_zpsmdliyfja.jpg

Wadi-Rum%20stone%20arch%205_zpskq3v53tg.jpg

wadi-rum%20Overview%207_zpsh2fo95v2.jpg

• 1 month later...
At Petra, can you go inside the places (treasury, ampitheater, etc.) or do you just see the outsides/facades?

You cannot go into the Treasury or amphitheater. But you can go into many of the caves that you see along the way.