Customs/Immigration at Southampton cruise port.

Fletch1

Greetings,

We will be returning to Southampton cruise port on the Celebrity Eclipse and was wondering if anybody can give me an indication of how long it will take to get through customs/immigration? Is it as bad as US cruise ports?

I need to book a transfer from the port to St. Pancras train station and need to know what time to book our pick up.

We arrive on a Saturday at 5.30am and are traveling on Australian passports.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

This forum is for people who live in the UK and so we don't need to go through immigration in Southampton.

If you are doing self-disembark (carry all you own cases) you could be off the ship by about 7.00am. If you're not doing that, you'll have to wait until you are called which could be any time up to 9.30am (that's how it works on Cunard anyway).

Hi Fletch,

You're very welcome to be on this board.

I don't think Ray66 meant any offence or that you aren't welcome to post here. Only that, as Brits don't have to go through immigration when docking at Southampton, we just walk out with our cases (stopped by customs if they wish!), we may not be in the best position to answer a query on how long it would take.

When you dock at 5.30 the whole ship will have to be cleared before anyone can get off. When not self-disembarking we've generally left the ship between 8 and 9; the latest was on a P&O ship at 9.30.

However, observing what goes on, I don't think it would take as long to get through immigration as it can in the U.S.A.!

Have a good trip.

Hi, Fletch....we always self disembark at Southampton, and haven't seen sight of immigration nor customs at that early hour, although I'm sure there will be some beady eyes somewhere....I'm just not sure what happens to non-UKers.

The only time I've seen a big push at S'ton was when we'd called at Gibraltar- notorious for selling cheap booze and cigs- and there was a big customs push that day, which held people up. :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...
what about when you arrive at Southampton port to embark do you have to go through customs, tia

Yes.

But you probably won't know you've been through - there's no line, no delay, you just walk past - unless a customs officer feels your collar.

JB :)

thankyou, do you park up first then go through please

Errr, no.

I leave the parking to the captain, he parks the ship while we passengers are still in our bunks.

Or have I misunderstood your post :o:D

When you join a cruise at Southampton, most folk drop their checked bags at the terminal's bag-drop & then park their car. Hand-luggage is scanned in the terminal after registration. I've no idea whether this is done by security staff or customs officers or both, but it's always been straightforward for us.

I have heard that occasionally folk have had their collars tugged at the scanner for possessing things that are legal elsewhere (eg the USA) but illegal in the UK. (not a big deal, usually resolved by the passenger disposing of the offending article or posting it to himself). But since that's a matter for UK customs, I guess they're involved somewhere along the line.

JB :)