Zaandam - dining room temperatures

Cybercsp

As I am packing for our upcoming South America/Antarctica cruise, I am wondering whether the extreme differences in temperature over the course of the cruise seem to have an influence on the interior ship temperatures. Can't wait to go, but this packing is daunting!

As I am packing for our upcoming South America/Antarctica cruise, I am wondering whether the extreme differences in temperature over the course of the cruise seem to have an influence on the interior ship temperatures. Can't wait to go, but this packing is daunting!

Aircon seems to be kept constant.

Mrs Gut finds them all a bit cool, so takes a light shawl/wrap.

Cool enough for the dining stewards to be able to do their best work. Running with heavy trays while smiling and remembring our names and preferences. Bring a light warp ....... for their benefit. We also found it cooler sitting right next to the windows.

Yes. Just like your home when the weather is extreme, the ship will tend to be warmer when it is blazing hot outside (BsAs, montevideo, San Antonio) and cooler when it’s cold (Antarctica, Southern tip).

Think along the line of layers. I make my first one a thin cotton T-shirt. I add sun protection for the hot areas and my warmer layers for the cold. I get better mileage out of laundry days that way. ;)

I’m currently on the Zaandam and we’re on our fourth day cruising around Antarctica. Throughout the day people are wearing long sleeves and many are wearing a light jacket. I was cold in the dining room only one time and that was when the temperatures had dropped and we were near a window; otherwise, I’ve been comfortable inside the ship. The scenery has been magnificent!

Thanks, everyone! I always have a pashmina handy, but just wondered whether I needed more. My excuses for not packing are dwindling;)

They usually have some $10 shawls in various colors for sale in the ship shops too.

• 4 weeks later...
For the South America/Antarctic cruise, do people dress up for formal/gala nights? Are sequins, long dresses and suits worn? On other cruiselines, it was mixed dress code.

We were in open seating, which I think has less formal wear compared to fixed dining. I saw only a few men in tuxes on Gala night. I think I only saw one long dress during the entire cruise. I was, however, surprised at the large number of men with a coat and tie as compared to those wearing just a collared shirt with and without a tie. Overall, I think passengers were dressed up more on our South America/Antarctic cruise than on our Alaskan cruise last August.

We were in open seating, which I think has less formal wear compared to fixed dining. I saw only a few men in tuxes on Gala night. I think I only saw one long dress during the entire cruise. I was, however, surprised at the large number of men with a coat and tie as compared to those wearing just a collared shirt with and without a tie. Overall, I think passengers were dressed up more on our South America/Antarctic cruise than on our Alaskan cruise last August.

Thanks Robert. This will be our first HAL cruise and we heard it is a more traditional atmosphere where people do dress up for dinner in the MDR which is something we like.

On my recent Zaandam's Christmas/New Year's cruise, I noticed that the temperature did vary somewhat in the interior of the ship. Some areas seemed cooler than others. But, I was comfortable wherever I was. The dining room seemed quite comfortable regardless whether I was dressed formally or not.

On Gala Nights, guests were nicely dressed with a mix of formal and suit/sport coat and tie wearers. I do recall seeing some long gowns on the ladies, but not very many.