Just heard on the radio this morning that the Canadian Govt has put out a travel advisory for Jamaica due the high level of violence. We are scheduled to be in port in Ocho Rios on February 15th. We've never been to Jamaica before and are quite looking forward to it. We always find our own activities and excursions independent from the cruise line, but are quite concerned now about our safety in this port. Any advise?

• 3 weeks later...

If you dock within 100 meters of Margarittaville ask one of the security people what they think. Margarittaville there has fences that go way out into the ocean so no one can swim in. The food is pretty good, not very spicey. Time leaving so you can walk back with a large group of other cruisers and go easy on the alcohol. If the advisory goes any higher than make it a pool or spa day aboard.

We went last year and we left the ship on our own at first to shop. People were following us and We decided to go back and wait for our excursion with carnival. I felt safe during the excursion and all went well. We did the river tubing and it was our favorite excursion to date. I heard to avoid Dunn falls. It’s got a lot of cruise tourists and pushy local vendors. My recommendation would be to pay a bit more and book with your cruise line.

Just returned 2/4 from a Western Caribbean cruise with a stop in Falmouth Jamaica. Once we left the port area there was a large police presence and the further we walked into town there were less police and it got a little creepier so we just turned back. No real interest in going back.

We just returned from our cruise today.

In Falmouth we had an NCL excursion to Dunn's Rivers Falls and Bobsled

Everything was just fine, friendly and comfortable.

Some aggressive venders as we left the falls but that was it

I'll be in Falmouth in April. First time in Jamaica and I'm not excited about the location for the reasons stated. I'm going on the "safest" excursion offered by the ship which is the "Ocho Rios Highlights" tour (of the city). Has anyone taken this same excursion and was it worthwhile? Did you feel safe? Thanks.

I plan on taking a Caribbean cruise with my family in August since my next cruise is to Europe. one of the stops are Jamaica. I’ve never been and it’s so beautiful.I know the rule exercise common sense, but in your personal opinion we shouldn’t venture out on our own??? Or book independently??... I know it’s expensive to book with the ship “reasons why we never book with the ship” but if it means we will be much safer then so be it !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just heard on the radio this morning that the Canadian Govt has put out a travel advisory for Jamaica due the high level of violence. We are scheduled to be in port in Ocho Rios on February 15th. We've never been to Jamaica before and are quite looking forward to it. We always find our own activities and excursions independent from the cruise line, but are quite concerned now about our safety in this port. Any advise?

:evilsmile:

We were there on the 15th as well. We did not feel unsafe but got gipped by a taxi driver. He told us he would take us to Dunns River Falls and back for 20.00 and when we got there, there was an additional 30.00 entrance fee per person.

He did not inform us of the little falls which was free. 20.00 wasted!!:evilsmile: