Any news on BA dry dock updates?

ilovetotravel1977

They will do the work that is done below the water line, and a few cosmetic changes tht passengers can see, but nothing that will jump out at you. Don't really expect any change to the passenger areas.

Those who sail before the dry-dock, can you ask at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greets? They will often give you an idea of what type of updates/changes are planned.

Personally, I'd love them to convert a little space to a Los Lobos Cantina, like on the Dawn. They have one planned for the Bliss so they must find it popular enough.

We will be on the Breakaway out of New Orleans next year. Looking forward to being on the Breakaway again:cool:

Personally, I'd love them to convert a little space to a Los Lobos Cantina, like on the Dawn. They have one planned for the Bliss so they must find it popular enough.

On the Bliss, they replaced Monderno with Los Lobos (not a small space like the Dawn in the corner of the buffet). And, yes, the food at Los Lobos was great!

Most of the other 5-year dry docks (including the Epic - megaship) have involved demoing all of the public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilding them. Replacing beds and furnishing in the staterooms. The Epic actually took 3 weeks because they replaced two of the engines at the same time (required them to cut a big hole in the hull to lift out the old engines and put new ones in).

I was told by staff while onboard last week that it would be mostly engine work and light refurb (carpets etc.). I was assured that howl at the moon would stay as would the marvelous waterfront, but Fat Cats was going. Nothing in writing so it is still just hearsay at this time.

I was told by staff while onboard last week that it would be mostly engine work and light refurb (carpets etc.). I was assured that howl at the moon would stay as would the marvelous waterfront, but Fat Cats was going. Nothing in writing so it is still just hearsay at this time.

I wonder what they will do with the Fat Cats space?

We are sailing on Breakaway in July for the Baltic itinerary and I'm looking forward to going on her only a few months after a dry dock. However I'm not expecting any massive changes, given it's still a relatively new ship. I'm expecting soft furnishings to be replaced, carpets (both public and stateroom) and of course any damage from the recent storm to be rectified. Beyond that not really sure there will be anything noticeable?

• 3 months later...

Agree with all the above posters.

Since she is still a relatively new ship, don't expect any major overhauls. Just some cosmetic changes.

Looking at her DNV-GL class record, it looks she will undergo quite a few surveys of her underwater components such as the hull, thrusters, and pods, as well as a few certificate renewals.

http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/VesselRegister/vesseldetails.html?vesselid=31388

Since she is still a relatively new ship, don't expect any major overhauls. Just some cosmetic changes.

Looking at her DNV-GL class record, it looks she will undergo quite a few surveys of her underwater components such as the hull, thrusters, and pods, as well as a few certificate renewals.

http://vesselregister.dnvgl.com/VesselRegister/vesseldetails.html?vesselid=31388

The Breakaway left Southampton for New York 5 years ago yesterday. That makes it about the same age as the Epic was when it had its quite major refurb in 2015.

Not that I am expecting as much to be done on the Breakaway, but you do never know. It wouldn't surprise me if there are a few significant changes to some venues.

I also wouldn't take too much notice of what the crew or staff say. I remember before the Jade went into dry dock last year there were varying stories on these boards, from it just being a change in carpets to Spinnaker Lounge being converted into suites. All that proved is that the people being quoted either had no idea or were being deliberately misleading.

The Epic was 5 years old during its last dry dock, and it was a total, complete gutting, tearing down all public areas down to the deck plates. And reforms of many cabins.

The Epic’s dry dock was longer since they had to cut the hull open to pull and replace two engines.

On the Bliss, they replaced Monderno with Los Lobos (not a small space like the Dawn in the corner of the buffet). And, yes, the food at Los Lobos was great!

so no Moderno on Bliss? that means those of us with platinum vouchers will be stuck eating at LaCucina, unless different vouchers are provided?

so no Moderno on Bliss? that means those of us with platinum vouchers will be stuck eating at LaCucina, unless different vouchers are provided?

There is an alternative offered. Texas Smokehouse I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of the current Bliss cruisers said the Platinum voucher could be used at Q or Los Lobos in addition to La Cucina. We loved Los Lobos on the Dawn.