HAL’s platinum insurance

J&Dhighdesert

You hope you never will need insurance, but purchase it just in case. We were set to sail today, January 20. My BH was hospitalized Wednesday evening. We had hopes that we might still be able to go. By Thursday, no way. Contacted ourTA Thursday evening and she called HAL. We will get 90% of our money back for a 30 day cruise. There is no paperwork that has to be done. While my B.B. and wife were going to join us on the second leg of the trip, they would only get 35% back and the day after zero. We are glad we chose a more expensive plan and sorry we couldn’t make the trip.

For cancellation for any reason, the HAL platinum plan is

very good. We have had to use it a couple of times. The fact you don't have to provide any documentation as one does for some other plans is very helpful,

It may well be the best for that purpose. Every other cancel for any reason coverage costs considerably more.

However, I just discovered that the Advantage Citicard (personal, not business account) gives you up to $5,000 cancellation protection - even in the event of a pet's illness - if the trip is charged on that account. This is allowing us to take out the 80% HAL CPP, rather than the 90%, which costs about double the 80%.

We buy the HAL insurance and have used it two or three times. I love that it's hassle-free. At the time of the stress of cancelling, who needs additional stress with insurance?

We're cruising on the Eurodam 2/14. My husband landed in the hospital ER on Tuesday evening and was admitted. Came home yesterday and at this point, we're "good to go"....but you never know.

We buy the HAL insurance and have used it two or three times. I love that it's hassle-free. At the time of the stress of cancelling, who needs additional stress with insurance?

We're cruising on the Eurodam 2/14. My husband landed in the hospital ER on Tuesday evening and was admitted. Came home yesterday and at this point, we're "good to go"....but you never know.

Sending good wishes your way. . . .

For cancellation for any reason, the HAL platinum plan is

very good. We have had to use it a couple of times. The fact you don't have to provide any documentation as one does for some other plans is very helpful,

Very true for the 'cancel for any reason' clause. Plus the medical component coverage of HAL's policies is pretty low. I believe it's 10k medical and 50k evacuation which is pretty much not going to cover very much. Hospitalization prior to a cruise is usually a covered reason for non HAL trip insurance.

But non HAL affiliated plans can be cheaper and cover more. Yeah, you'll have to supply documentation for a claim, but they all supply you with similar 1-800 numbers to call and get help and assistance. But if you goal is to have a 'cancel for any reason' policy then HAL is less expensive.

We have used HAL is some past cruises but found the aftermarket offers less expensive and better coverage. Coverage cost is always a percentage of amount covered and list of covered item. HALs percentage is around 11-12% of trip cost. Aftermarket runs 6-7% up to 8-10% for better covered plans. You do need to do your homework and due diligence on coverage needs and rates. HAL makes it easy for minimal coverage with a great 'cancel for any reason' clause.

Dan

I was very thankful for the HAL platinum insurance last year when I broke my hip a week before sailing. One call to my PCC is all it took and I had the money refunded to my credit card 3 days later. We had done HAL air for that cruise and the insurance covered that as well.

Since you canceled for a medical reason won’t you get 100% back? Or does the HAL plan not cover for medical cancellation?

No. That requires an insurance policy with a cancellation clause in it, but they usually require specific reasons and sometimes corroborating evidence if you do cancel. HAL's CPP is not an insurance policy. As others have noted, the medical and evacuation provisions are skimpy. The CPP is strictly a cancellation policy and is particularly valuable because of the cancel for any reason and absence of the usual "pre-existing conditions" required by many insurance policies - depending on when it was taken out.

The other benefit of CPP is that it can be taken out just before the penalty phase sets in, so you can wait until then to see if you might need it.

Since you canceled for a medical reason won’t you get 100% back? Or does the HAL plan not cover for medical cancellation?

No, the cancel for any reason is just cruise protection covered by HAL . The 100% medical coverage if you purchase the platinum plan is coverage by an actual insurance company for medical reasons and has not kicked in (used to be 24 hours or closer to departure).

Sent from my iPad using Forums