Any secret cabins on the Zaandam?

Hi All,

We're thinking of booking the Zaandam for our next HAL cruise. I'm just wondering if there are any unusual but good cabins on the Zaandam. We normally book OV cabins but would be interested in any and all recommendations. Budget will determine which one we book. ;)

Any assistance that you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I've been in DA6100 and it was pretty cool. We peeked into D6102 and it's also a different layout. Kind of funky and you get 2 forward facing windows.

I liked it when we were there and would be fine booking it again.

WITH THAT SAID, if you're the type that naps a lot in the daytime or turns in before the second show would take place in the main show lounge you will here the shows taking place below you (or rehearsal during the day) but if you plan to be out and about and not in bed before the second show is over you'll have nothing to worry about.

I've been in DA6100 and it was pretty cool. We peeked into D6102 and it's also a different layout. Kind of funky and you get 2 forward facing windows.

I liked it when we were there and would be fine booking it again.

I've had friends who've stayed in these cabins and they are very unusual, but the thing I did not like about them, and would stop me booking them is there are instructions to keep the curtains closed or have ALL the lights off after dark. This is not good for me because I like to leave the curtains open overnight.

I've had friends who've stayed in these cabins and they are very unusual, but the thing I did not like about them, and would stop me booking them is there are instructions to keep the curtains closed or have ALL the lights off after dark. This is not good for me because I like to leave the curtains open overnight.

True, I forgot about that. It's due to the glare it can generate for nighttime navigation from the bridge. I was happy to comply though because normally the only time you get high up forward facing views is if you're ON the bridge :)

Hi Clipper - hope you and Mum are doing well! I totally agree w/Solocanadian's recommendation - take a look at them. Those are two of the cabins similar to those on the aft of the Amsterdam - ocean views w/windows looking out over that 'secret' aft deck. Just one flight up to the Lido, and literally five steps out your cabin door to that aft deck, which tends to be used very little, if at all. We loved that location on the Amsterdam (stayed in 7056, while Michelle and her cabin mate stayed in 7055 next door). I believe of the two, 7086 has the least obstructed view on the Zaandam - I think 7083 has the staircase up to the Lido in front of it. Best bang for the buck without getting a balcony cabin.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I had noticed both sets of cabins. I think the noise from the showroom would bother us in the forward cabins. And I did enquire about the aft cabins; they were already booked! I would have liked to have tried them for the reasons mentioned above. AIP, I was going to email you to find out which of the two was better! Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

We booked a regular cabin on the LP deck that I think will work for us.

If we told you, they wouldn't be "secret" anymore, would they?

:D:eek::cool:

LOL

That being said, my favorite cabins on the R class ships are:

J-1877

J-2619

Both of these are inside cabinet, configured lengthwise with the ship ... they're huge inside.

On lower Promenade Deck:

I-3343

I-3347

I-3355

These three cabins are now I class, but used to be J class, and are traditionally designed inside cabins on the Lower Prom deck ... excellent location.

On main-deck, all the way aft, there are two outside stern-facing cabins that are VERY nice

For an outside amidships, try C2623 or C2620. Both are right where the midship's elevators can be accessed ... GREAT location.

DA-6100 is an EXCELLENT square-shaped cabin with a forward view and easy access to the forward top-side observation deck (just bellow the bridge). DA-6102 is also good, but it's a little more awkwardly shaped. Both have forward-facing windows.

...That being said, my favorite cabins on the R class ships are:

J-1877

J-2619

Both of these are inside cabinet, configured lengthwise with the ship ... they're huge inside.

Please stop pushing MY cabin. :rolleyes:

On lower Promenade Deck:

I-3343

I-3347

I-3355

These three cabins are now I class, but used to be J class, and are traditionally designed inside cabins on the Lower Prom deck ... excellent location.

The numbers on these cabins can vary slightly from ship to ship. For example, cabin 3345 on most of the ships is 3343 on the Volendam. One needs to check the deckplans for area on the ship, and anything along in here is good.

Your point is well taken.

I agree with Ruth... Don't spread the word about 3343 on Volendam...:) Yes, it is an inside, but it is extremely well located (close to promenade, midship), no noise at all, with a 2-seat sofa, and no light from the windows for dark-sleepers like myself. And did I mention that it is cheap?

This cabin was Ruth's suggestion and I am thankful for that: I was even upgraded to an outside and fought my way back to this cabin. Great choice.

BTW: I posted a review about my Alaska cruise (27th May) but did not announce here because I am finishing editing my photos and creating a public webpage with them. When that is done, I will post something here. Meanwhile you can see it at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=505689

We had 6102 on the South America/Antarctica and it was great. There are 2 large picture windows on a slope. The slope was good for the Drake Shake as spray hit the windows in rough seas, this added to the experience!!

A few steps away is a full front deck below the Bridge for viewing and picture taking, as it was cold at 65 degrees south latitude, easy to get back inside to warm up.

Keep drapes closed if lights on as those on deck can see in. If no lights on those outside can not see in due to window coatings.

Cabin is Recommended as larger and lighter than normal.

Enjoy.

Hi Gui218,

May I ask you how bad is the pitching in that cabin in rough seas? Significantly different from more midship locations? And no noise from the crew cabins above? The ranked ship officers are well behaved?

Try H7083 and H7086.

We had both of these cabins on our Hawaii cruise when they were classified as (secret) I-inside rooms and had a window! I think they reclassified them shortly after.

They are really a nice size and we had a great cruise. My DH and myself were in one cabin and my brother and sister-in-law in the other.

We travelled east to west, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The section from Falklands to Antarctic sound was with moderate south westerlies, seas 10-15feet. We took Bonine and ok. The Antarctic to Cape horn had Strong south westerly Gale, sea height max 7 meters. The anti nausea from reception did the trick and lasted for 24 hours.

The low midships cabins are best for rough seas, but not views.

No sound from above cabins or bridge.

The Antarctic is not to be missed and Falklands gave us great pictures of king penguins.

Cheers:

• 2 years later...
Hi Gui218,

May I ask you how bad is the pitching in that cabin in rough seas? Significantly different from more midship locations? And no noise from the crew cabins above? The ranked ship officers are well behaved?

I had cabin 6002 twice on the Westerdam. I did not notice the movement any more than any other part of the ship. At first I thought the closed curtains would be a problem but since most of the time I was in my cabin after dark I was either changing clothes or asleep it was really a non-issue. I like the forward facing cabins so much that I booked 6102 on the Amsterdam for the world cruise. I hope I like it as much as gui218!