halifax/saint john cell data plan advice

luckyinpa

any advice where near the port to buy a sim with data? my carrier wont operate in canada. id like to rent cars in both places potentially and need data for waze to work so i dont get lost :)

Can you just add a GPS to your rental car? I am thinking the overall price will be about the same.

theres zero on the rental car sites about gps..kinda surprised me

also i wouldnt mind the ability to look up restaurant reviews and other things in the area on my way to and from

one thing ive run into is in saint john id like a car before 8 am but i dont see that happening. sigh

theres zero on the rental car sites about gps..kinda surprised me

also i wouldnt mind the ability to look up restaurant reviews and other things in the area on my way to and from

one thing ive run into is in saint john id like a car before 8 am but i dont see that happening. sigh

It may be the class you are looking at. I just checked Hertz Halifax. Their Neverlost system is available in some classes (full-size, mid-size, etc.), but not others (standard, compact, economy) for CA$14.99/day.

i only did check economy. but if i really am going to rent both cities, i think id get better bang for my buck if i got some internet.

i found this but emailed them and sadly they only mail out sims. i dont have time for that.

https://roammobility.com/

but the pricing is 'great' at 30 bucks for 500 mb :) so it would be about even with 15 a day for the car gps and give me ability to look up restaurant reviews or other sites i want to see.

What US cell phone provider are you saying doesn't have service in Canada? You had another thread talking about Verizon. If your provider is Verizon, then you will have very cheap service in Canada. Canada is a $5 per day Travel Pass country. You get your domestic plan, including your data, for $5 per 24 hour period in Canada once you activate a pass. You can activate a pass prior to leaving or you can do it once in Canada by following the instructions in the texts you receive from Verizon.

Verizon no longer offers data services while on cruise ships, but they absolutely have services in Canada.

verizon prepaid cannot be used in canada nor can tracfone. those are my only 2 options

so i am going to use my unlocked gsm phone by going to the petro station near the pier in saint john then getting a sim and buying from the petro mobile plan. if i need to get on the internet to activate ill sit outside tim hortons. should be 40 bucks for 500 mb of data for my 2 days in canada but at least ill have access to restaurant reviews and of course gps. its more of a security thing for me since ill be driving and i can also go to other restaurants off the beaten path if i wish.

verizon prepaid cannot be used in canada nor can tracfone. those are my only 2 options

so i am going to use my unlocked gsm phone by going to the petro station near the pier in saint john then getting a sim and buying from the petro mobile plan. if i need to get on the internet to activate ill sit outside tim hortons. should be 40 bucks for 500 mb of data for my 2 days in canada but at least ill have access to restaurant reviews and of course gps. its more of a security thing for me since ill be driving and i can also go to other restaurants off the beaten path if i wish.

Where to do plan on going?

st martins

peggys cove

reversing rapids

hopefully some surprises on the way and would like to find good restaurants both cities but have to look yet.

gonna walk from saint johns pier to enterprise since we get there early and then to petro for the phone stuff then to st martins for 9 am low tide.

st martins

peggys cove

reversing rapids

hopefully some surprises on the way and would like to find good restaurants both cities but have to look yet.

gonna walk from saint johns pier to enterprise since we get there early and then to petro for the phone stuff then to st martins for 9 am low tide.

Pretty easy drive for the most part. I'm guessing you mean Reversing Falls not reversing rapids. It's not far from the port. St. Martins is pretty straight forward if you use the highway and then Route 111 I think.

Getting out of Halifax can be a bit trickier.

Lots of good restaurants around both cruise terminals in Saint John and Halifax. Just depends on what you are looking for.

If you have an old CDMA technology phone the network is going to be shut down in Eastern (Toronto/Montreal)/Atlantic (Saint John/Halifax) in April 2018 and you will not have service. To get a Canadian provider SIM card you legally need a Canadian or French (St Pierre & Micalon) address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got an ATT prepaid phone and turned on roaming once in canada. rogers thankfully told me to do that because ATT never told me i had to do that. Waze worked great and i loved renting a car and having the freedom to explore. beat all the buses to st martin ! were just 2 people there when i got there. peggys cove was mobbed but that dies down quickly after 1230

highly recommend the ATT prepaid for those who dont already have ATT. 44 bucks with tax/fees etc. what you save on excursions pays for it