Pros/cons of New York to Quebec vs. Quebec to New York Itinerary on Princess

ams cruiser

Having caught the cruising bug this past summer after a glorious trip to Alaska on the Ruby Princess, I am hoping to book a Canada/New England cruise in Fall of 2019 with Princess. Ideally, we would love to see the fall colors. I know that there are no guarantees about the seasons, but am considering October departures with the following ports:

New York to Quebec (either 9/24 or 10/14): New York, Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor (for Acadia National Park, Saint John (Bay of Fundy), Halifax, Sydney (Cape Breton Island), Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Scenic cruising of St. Lawrence River, Quebec (overnight)

Quebec to New York (either 9/14 or 10/4): Quebec (overnight), Saguenay (scenic cruising of Saguenay River), Scenic cruising of St. Lawrence River, Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Sydney (Cape Breton Island), Halifax, Bar Harbor (for Acadia National Park), Boston, New York.

I would appreciate any recommendations/insights about which itinerary might be preferable. We will be flying from the San Francisco Bay Area, so that will also be a consideration in booking flights/hotels, etc.

Thanks, in advance!

(I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the Princess board, but I thought this would be a good place to start!)

The foliage changes from north to south, inland to coastal.

Keeping that in mind, departing NYC on 9/24 would be too early for the New England ports and a maybe for the Canadian ports. Departing NYC on 10/14, would be good for the southern New England ports but would be past peak the more north you go.

Departing Quebec on 9/14, would be too early at all ports. Departing Quebec on 10/4, maybe a little early in some ports but at least you'll be cruising in the same direction as the foliage changes.

If I were taking this cruise and wanted to see the foliage change, I would leave from Quebec on 10/4.

SBtS

The foliage changes from north to south, inland to coastal.

Keeping that in mind, departing NYC on 9/24 would be too early for the New England ports and a maybe for the Canadian ports. Departing NYC on 10/14, would be good for the southern New England ports but would be past peak the more north you go.

Departing Quebec on 9/14, would be too early at all ports. Departing Quebec on 10/4, maybe a little early in some ports but at least you'll be cruising in the same direction as the foliage changes.

If I were taking this cruise and wanted to see the foliage change, I would leave from Quebec on 10/4.

SBtS

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply! The idea of cruising in the same direction as the foliage changes make sense. My initial thought was that, fall colors aside, it might be preferable to end our cruise in Quebec, rather than New York.

I've never been to Quebec, and I loved my one vacation in Manhattan, but it seems like such a hustle-bustle city in which to end a cruise. (I could be wrong, but I thought Quebec would be a more relaxing place to spend a couple of days before flying back to the West Coast.)

Do you think the slight difference in itineraries (Saint John - Bay of Fundy northbound vs Saguenay River southbound) should be factored in?

Also, hurricane season aside, are the seas calmer going southbound? (We took our Alaska cruise out of Seattle, because of I had heard the trip up the coast from San Francisco can be pretty rocky.)

Thanks, again!

recently returned on that itinerary leaving NYC on October 12 this year on princess Flew into NYC a couple of days early to see sights as had never been to any of the port stops before including NYC. Princess sails out of brooklyn (usually). The ports were all beautiful , but the fall colors were not as colorful as expected ( There was a lack of rainfall which muted colors this year ( luck of the draw i guess)

Seas although unpredictable were very calm with no rough days. Quebec city was a quieter fascinating city with plenty of interesting things to do, If flights are not easily available from the smaller quebec city airport, montreal is only a 3 hour drive away with many options to get there

recently returned on that itinerary leaving NYC on October 12 this year on princess Flew into NYC a couple of days early to see sights as had never been to any of the port stops before including NYC. Princess sails out of brooklyn (usually). The ports were all beautiful , but the fall colors were not as colorful as expected ( There was a lack of rainfall which muted colors this year ( luck of the draw i guess)

Seas although unpredictable were very calm with no rough days. Quebec city was a quieter fascinating city with plenty of interesting things to do, If flights are not easily available from the smaller quebec city airport, montreal is only a 3 hour drive away with many options to get there

We're hoping for fall colors, but realize it's completely out of our hands. Calms seas a definite plus! Thanks for hint about flying out of Montreal. Any thought about northbound vs southbound on this route?

Not sure it would make much difference. If leaving from NYC the ship does go alot slower when you get closer to Quebac City ( Because of restrictions of whales)

Basicly it mostly boils down where you want to finish your cruise.

OP: whatever you do (and it should include extra time in both NYC and Montreal), try to avoid Manhattan in mid-September when the UN General Assembly is in session. Depending on the year, it may also be time for "Fashion Week." Expect hotels to be at the higher end of their range of room rates. Also, traffic will be worse than usual due to security restrictions for the UN.

BTW, try both NY and Montreal bagels and spend some time in Brooklyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP: whatever you do (and it should include extra time in both NYC and Montreal), try to avoid Manhattan in mid-September when the UN General Assembly is in session. Depending on the year, it may also be time for "Fashion Week." Expect hotels to be at the higher end of their range of room rates. Also, traffic will be worse than usual due to security restrictions for the UN.

BTW, try both NY and Montreal bagels and spend some time in Brooklyn.

Good to know and thanks for your reply! I think we are are going aim for an early to mid-October date, probably from Quebec to NYC. The Princess itinerary doesn't include Montreal. Would you recommend flying into Montreal before meeting the ship in Quebec?

Good to know and thanks for your reply! I think we are are going aim for an early to mid-October date, probably from Quebec to NYC. The Princess itinerary doesn't include Montreal. Would you recommend flying into Montreal before meeting the ship in Quebec?

Montreal is a wonderful town with some unbelievably rich history and an "oh-so-European" ambiance. Great restaurants, museums and a terrific music scene as well. IMO, worth two to three exploration days.

Actually, if you are there for a few days, you might also want to consider a drive south to Fort Ticonderoga- it will put American revolutionary history in a whole new light.

And, at the other end (NYC), do consider Brooklyn including the Brooklyn Museum and the Botanical Gardens. Head to Coney Island and the NY Aquarium there.

Eat at Peter Lugers, The River Cafe, Frankie's Sputino on Court Street and, of course, Nathan's mothership. Walk the Esplanade in Brooklyn Heights and remember all the movies you've ever seen that included the view west to Manhattan.

Finally, if you do nothing else, get a slice [emoji487] at DiFara's on Avenue J.

Not sure it would make much difference. If leaving from NYC the ship does go alot slower when you get closer to Quebac City ( Because of restrictions of whales)

Basicly it mostly boils down where you want to finish your cruise.

But not leaving Quebec? I was thinking it would be good to start in NYC with all of it's activity, and then relax a little on the cruise, but until I read SBtS's advice about following the fall color change (assuming are lucky enough to hit the sweet spot at all.)

Appreciate your input!

Montreal is a wonderful town with some unbelievably rich history and an "oh-so-European" ambiance. Great restaurants, museums and a terrific music scene as well. IMO, worth two to three exploration days.

Actually, if you are there for a few days, you might also want to consider a drive south to Fort Ticonderoga- it will put American revolutionary history in a whole new light.

And, at the other end (NYC), do consider Brooklyn including the Brooklyn Museum and the Botanical Gardens. Head to Coney Island and the NY Aquarium there.

Eat at Peter Lugers, The River Cafe, Frankie's Sputino on Court Street and, of course, Nathan's mothership. Walk the Esplanade in Brooklyn Heights and remember all the movies you've ever seen that included the view west to Manhattan.

Finally, if you do nothing else, get a slice [emoji487] at DiFara's on Avenue J.

I can already tell that we're going to wish we had more days planned! Appreciate the suggestions, which I will bookmark for when the cruise gets closer. Right now, I am thinking Fall 2019 as a retirement celebration cruise.

(When planning for our Alaska cruise last summer, I read Cruise Critic reviews and the Princess and Alaska boards for months. It's a little harder to find information about Canada/New England.)

I am from montreal. In my opinion, you will have better weather in sept. The later in the year, gets colder, more change of rain. And the locals start to go into hypernation mode.

You could fly to montreal. Then take the train or bus to quebec. Remember that with the currency difference. Canada will be cheaper for you.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I am from montreal. In my opinion, you will have better weather in sept. The later in the year, gets colder, more change of rain. And the locals start to go into hypernation mode.

You could fly to montreal. Then take the train or bus to quebec. Remember that with the currency difference. Canada will be cheaper for you.

We were hoping to find the perfect balance of fall colors and good weather! (Not asking for a lot, I know! ;) ) Maybe the October 4th sailing (Quebec to NYC) would be the sweet spot?

Flying into Montreal sounds like a good plan.

Appreciate your advice!

That’s what we’re planning to do except drive from Montreal to Quebec City (we have 3 people) the day after flying into Montreal. It looks like a wash cost wise once you pay for train tickets that include luggage. Plus we would have the car the next day to go to the falls and a sugar shack.

Does that seem like a doable plan for non-French speakers?

That’s what we’re planning to do except drive from Montreal to Quebec City (we have 3 people) the day after flying into Montreal. It looks like a wash cost wise once you pay for train tickets that include luggage. Plus we would have the car the next day to go to the falls and a sugar shack.

Does that seem like a doable plan for non-French speakers?

Yes it is doable, many non-French speaking tourists do this every year. Just bring a GPS as road signs will be in French. As the previous poster has stated, the sugar shacks season is in the Spring. However, some have off-season programs. For more info. here is a good Cruise Critic link:

"Quebec City: Sugar Shack ship's excursion"