Assigned dining times?

luv1cruise

Hi everyone! I was hoping that you can advise me how assigned dinner dining times work at the main dining rooms, and if there were any alternatives to eating at that assigned time (other than going to the buffet or specialty restaurant).

My only cruise (so far) was on NCL Sky, and I really enjoyed showing up at the dining room when I wanted to eat. I found that there were so many activities to do, when we ate dinner really ended up being whenever it could be fit into the schedule (if that makes sense).

So on other cruise lines, do they offer anything like this? How does assigned dining times work?

Assigned dining times means exactly as it says -- you should up at the time you are suppose. For instance if you have selected early dining at 5:30 -- then you show up at 5:30. If you selected late dining time at 8 -- then you show up at 8.

If assigned dining doesn't suit you, nearly early cruise line has Open Seating -- you can show up any time between the hours that it is open. Sounds like that is what you are looking for.

Hi everyone! I was hoping that you can advise me how assigned dinner dining times work at the main dining rooms, and if there were any alternatives to eating at that assigned time (other than going to the buffet or specialty restaurant).

My only cruise (so far) was on NCL Sky, and I really enjoyed showing up at the dining room when I wanted to eat. I found that there were so many activities to do, when we ate dinner really ended up being whenever it could be fit into the schedule (if that makes sense).

So on other cruise lines, do they offer anything like this? How does assigned dining times work?

I can only speak regarding Carnival. They offer both traditional (fixed time) dining and Your Time dining. Fixed time is just that, you have a set dining time at the same table every night. More than 30 minutes late and you will not be permitted into the dining room. YTD works like a land-based restaurant, show up while it is open, check in with the hostess, and get seated. You have to select one or the other (traditional or YTD). You cannot go back and forth.

Other dining options are specialty restaurants (for a fee) or the many Lido options (think buffet).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes...all the major lines have a form of "anytime" dining, where YOU decide when to eat dinner. On the larger ships, you may have so much to do that that will be an attractive option. On the smaller ships, entertainment revolves around the 2 traditional seating times, so there's very little risk of "missing something" because of dinner.

At least on RCI (my experience) with My Time Dining, you can also make reservations to avoid long lines. Even at peak times, those with reservations get seated before those without them.

On smaller ships, even without a reservation, the wait is typically short (5-10) minutes)

• 5 weeks later...

What cruise line were you thinking of taking, and what ship? DH and I love anytime dining for several reasons-

we don't feel rushed to get there if we just got back from excursions

he is on chemo, and sometimes does not want to eat-sitting in a restaurant setting waiting for others to eat-not so great for him

when he does want a full meal-we go when he is hungry! only time we have a wait is on formal night. and we are very willing to sit with other people which helps move the line, and gets us fed earlier.

the more information you give us, the more information we can give you.

Thanks! We're on RCL Adventure of the Seas Nov 24 2018. I can't wait to see what upgrades the ship has once it comes out of dry dock!

Also, I don't know which Specialty restaurants this ship has (or will have) & if they are worth the extra cost. On NCL Sky, we weren't impressed w/ Cagney's and I know RCL has Chops, which I assume is the counterpart.

Thanks! We're on RCL Adventure of the Seas Nov 24 2018. I can't wait to see what upgrades the ship has once it comes out of dry dock!

Also, I don't know which Specialty restaurants this ship has (or will have) & if they are worth the extra cost. On NCL Sky, we weren't impressed w/ Cagney's and I know RCL has Chops, which I assume is the counterpart.

You can opt for My Time Dining on Adventure and then you can show up to the main dining room whenever you want.