Passport Expiration

jdsbucks

So, my mother-in-law just realized her passport expires next week (don't ask ;)) and we leave for our cruise next Saturday. If we are cruising out of Miami on Norwegian Escape and coming back to Miami, can she just use her birth certificate as a form of identification? Ive read lots of different answers. We're US citizens if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Go to passport expediting office and they can probably at least east get her a passport card by next week

Sent from my Z956 using Forums mobile app

A passport “card” will do no more than a BC and drivers license.

Save your money and get the passport renewal either expedited or just use the birth certificate and drivers license and renew it when you return.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The birth certificate is not a form of identification, it verifies citizenship (and it probably doesn't apply but birth certificates issued in Puerto Rico are not valid if issued prior to 2010). Your mother in law would also need a valid government issued photo ID. If her name is different on her birth certificate and ID then she should bring a document attesting to the name change, such as a marriage certificate.

Thank you all! I also just read somewhere that a passport can't expire within 6 months of your cruise time. Has anyone had any experience with this?

That typically is not so much for anything to do with the cruise line but with policies of certain ports of call that may be on the ship's itinerary. We have inadvertently had expiration dates within 6 months on a cruise a number of years ago that were not a problem with our boarding, but the recommendations for a valid picture ID and birth certificate are correct and will suffice.

Thank you all! I also just read somewhere that a passport can't expire within 6 months of your cruise time. Has anyone had any experience with this?

For most Caribbean cruises that is merely a recommendation. There are some countries that do require you to have 6 months remaining on your passport at the conclusion of your trip (so if you were visiting for 2 months you would actually need 8 months remaining on the day of your arrival) but the only country in the Caribbean that I'm aware of that requires this of cruise ship passengers is Cuba.

State issued birth certificate and a driver's license will work.

Not if they are cruising on a ship that requires all passengers on all itineraries to produce a passport at embarkation (that means pretty much every premium/luxury line).

Also, as mentioned in another post: if you have bins fide proof of your itinerary, you can get an "in person" appointment at a regional passport office.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not if they are cruising on a ship that requires all passengers on all itineraries to produce a passport at embarkation (that means pretty much every premium/luxury line).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are on Norwegian Escape which will not require a passport for the closed loop cruise.

They are on Norwegian Escape which will not require a passport for the closed loop cruise.

The OP is, yes, but someone else may come along who isn't on the Escape who could use the information (which is why I mentioned the issue with PR birth certificates).

A passport “card” will do no more than a BC and drivers license.

Save your money and get the passport renewal either expedited or just use the birth certificate and drivers license and renew it when you return.

Have a wonderful cruise!

That's not entirely correct for the passport card which can be used for land and port entry between selected NA countries (Cube excluded). A BC and DL will not allow for the extended train excursion into Canada while on a closed loop Alaskan cruise. I realize a passport card can not be used for international flights but it carries greater weight than a BC and DL for states which are continuing to phase in and replace DL's with compliant DL's.

That's not entirely correct for the passport card which can be used for land and port entry between selected NA countries (Cube excluded). A BC and DL will not allow for the extended train excursion into Canada while on a closed loop Alaskan cruise. I realize a passport card can not be used for international flights but it carries greater weight than a BC and DL for states which are continuing to phase in and replace DL's with compliant DL's.

I think the point she was making is that if they are going to go thru the time and expense of getting a passport card, they might be better off just getting the book