Aboard the Breakaway - NCL offers future cruise credit for skipping port

jules528

Some of you may have heard about the medivac on board the Breakaway. Our overnight in Aruba (7 AM-12 noon the next day) had already been shortened to 6 hours (7 AM-1 PM) because of the winter storm Grayson in NYC and all that it brought. Because of this second incident, Aruba was bagged entirely.

Folks had already been grumbling from the issues with the storm from the start of the trip and this was a big topic of conversation after the announcement because a 14 day cruise was now 9 sea days.

We have all received letters onboard, signed by the captain, in our staterooms saying that because Aruba has been skipped, they will offer up to 25% of the current cruise fare (for the Breakaway trip) on a future NCL cruise and of course port charges would be refunded.

I was pleasantly surprised by this update - it's a decent amount of credit for a future cruise and since we were first time NCL cruisers, we were kind of disappointed by some of the things we missed due to all the odd circumstances (the ropes course, water slides, etc. have not been open on the cruise because of the storm). However, it seems like they've really worked to try to make it right.

Just thought CC users would be interested in this!

We were on the 12/29 NYE cruise caught in the storm . Just received an e-mail from NCL. They are giving us 25% off the cost of a future cruise. We have 1 year to use it. No worries we are going on the Gem next Christmas/NYE [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the 12/29 NYE cruise caught in the storm . Just received an e-mail from NCL. They are giving us 25% off the cost of a future cruise. We have 1 year to use it. No worries we are going on the Gem next Christmas/NYE [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got nothing so far...

1 year for the cruise to depart or to just use it for a new one lets say sometime 2019?...

2018 we are pretty much set...

Got nothing so far...

1 year for the cruise to depart or to just use it for a new one lets say sometime 2019?...

2018 we are pretty much set...

When we received such a credit it was good for 12 months from the ending day of the cruise which caused it to be issued.

That is surprisingly generous! On our Escape cruise December 2016 our scheduled stop in the Bahamas had to be skipped because the ship was experiencing propulsion problems that affected the ship's speed. I seem to recall we got a $50 obc per cabin and our port fees refunded.

Some of you may have heard about the medivac on board the Breakaway. Our overnight in Aruba (7 AM-12 noon the next day) had already been shortened to 6 hours (7 AM-1 PM) because of the winter storm Grayson in NYC and all that it brought. Because of this second incident, Aruba was bagged entirely.

Folks had already been grumbling from the issues with the storm from the start of the trip and this was a big topic of conversation after the announcement because a 14 day cruise was now 9 sea days.

We have all received letters onboard, signed by the captain, in our staterooms saying that because Aruba has been skipped, they will offer up to 25% of the current cruise fare (for the Breakaway trip) on a future NCL cruise and of course port charges would be refunded.

I was pleasantly surprised by this update - it's a decent amount of credit for a future cruise and since we were first time NCL cruisers, we were kind of disappointed by some of the things we missed due to all the odd circumstances (the ropes course, water slides, etc. have not been open on the cruise because of the storm). However, it seems like they've really worked to try to make it right.

Wow, we missed San Juan last year because of a medivac and we received a credit of I think $9, which was a return of the port fee and that was all!

Wow, we missed San Juan last year because of a medivac and we received a credit of I think $9, which was a return of the port fee and that was all!

This cruise lost ports due to the hurricane, then to the winter storm, now to the medevac... what a disappointment for the passengers from where it started out.

The email said it can not be used for government taxes and fees.

Correct. In our case NCL reduced our upcoming cruise base fare by $579.00 PP A very nice savings. We are now paying $3555.00 (total including port, taxes, and UBP service charge) for an OV cabin with two perks.. For an 11 night cruise covering Christmas and NYE to the Caribbean we are very happy..

This cruise lost ports due to the hurricane, then to the winter storm, now to the medevac... what a disappointment for the passengers from where it started out.

This! And also passengers have been unable to use the water slides and rope course on this cruise.

The January 5 - 19 14 day Breakaway itinerary originally included 8 port stops. After the hurricanes, the itinerary was revised and 3 ports eliminated. After winter storm Grayson, sailaway was delayed to the 6th and only once onboard did they learn the Aruba overnight was cancelled. After the Medivac, the Aruba 1/2 day was also cancelled.

I've kept track since I was booked on this cruise up until the last hour before we were leaving to the airport:

originally: NYC; San Juan, PR; Tortola, BVI; St Thomas, USVI; Philipsburg, St Marteen; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St Lucia; St Johns, Antigua; NYC.

revised: NYC; Oranjestad, Aruba overnight + 1/2 day; Willemstad, Curacao; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; St Johns, Antigua; NYC.

re-revised: NYC; Aruba 1/2 day; Curacao; Barbados; St Lucia; Antigua; NYC.

re-re-revised: NYC; Curacao; Barbados; St Lucia; Antigua; NYC.

Edited by Justin_Case
formatting

...we were kind of disappointed by some of the things we missed due to all the odd circumstances (the ropes course, water slides, etc. have not been open on the cruise because of the storm)....

Hi Jules528,

Can you let me know more about the damage or reasons for those to be closed? Are they working to get them back open again soon?

I'll be on the ship in a few weeks and I'm really curious about what to expect. My daughter will be so dissappointed if the water slides are closed (that's pretty much the biggest thing she's looking forward to!)

Thanks Jules.

Correct. In our case NCL reduced our upcoming cruise base fare by $579.00 PP A very nice savings. We are now paying $3555.00 (total including port, taxes, and UBP service charge) for an OV cabin with two perks.. For an 11 night cruise covering Christmas and NYE to the Caribbean we are very happy..

Did you figure out the math to see if your 25% was off your total fare or just off a portion of it?

Did you figure out the math to see if your 25% was off your total fare or just off a portion of it?

It was 25% off the base fare we paid. They deducted port fees and taxes.. Our base was $2316.00 which included our upgrade from BB balcony to 2 bed Courtyard Haven..

It was 25% off the base fare we paid. They deducted port fees and taxes.. Our base was $2316.00 which included our upgrade from BB balcony to 2 bed Courtyard Haven..

Sounds good. I will just apply whatever we have onto my Escape cruise to Bermuda. I'll call monday. Did you have cruise nexts on the Gem cruise? I am pretty sure I have 2 cruise nexts on the Escape.

Hi Jules528,

Can you let me know more about the damage or reasons for those to be closed? Are they working to get them back open again soon?

I'll be on the ship in a few weeks and I'm really curious about what to expect. My daughter will be so dissappointed if the water slides are closed (that's pretty much the biggest thing she's looking forward to!)

Thanks Jules.

Yes, I can answer this. We have talked to several officers. After the winter storm that has been posted about here extensively, the outdoor decks (15/16) may have sustained some damage. For example, the LED big TV wall at Spice H2O is not working properly. When the ship docked in NYC, it was covered in ice and the crew had to act very quickly to turn it over. The immediate priority was assessing damage that would affect cruise safety and getting guests from the last cruise off.

There simply was not time for an engineer to board and confirm the slides and course would be safe. The officer told me that it could be examined in port while we are in the Caribbean but not to bet on it. They will definitely have time for examination when the ship gets back to NYC.

Thanks for update and hearing NCL's offer.

Could you confirm from your letter that Captain Svensson is the Master?