American Credit Card Issues in Australia?

Kartgv

Hope lots of folks see this post .We are headed to Sydney & was going to get more Australian dollars at Wells Fargo Bank . A teller said that Wells Fargo Bank now offers a credit card with Chip & Pin techonolgy ;which apparently is going world wide now .

The credit card is "Propel 365 American Express CC " through Wells Fargo Bank . It has No foreign exchange rate for foreign transactions .It is point type card for benefits . Cost is first year free & then $45 per year . This card takes 7 to 10 business days to receive it once approved . ;)

This new credit card now solves using a american credit card in many foreign countries & removes the anxiety of credit card issues abroad:D

Hope lots of folks see this post .We are headed to Sydney & was going to get more Australian dollars at Wells Fargo Bank . A teller said that Wells Fargo Bank now offers a credit card with Chip & Pin techonolgy ;which apparently is going world wide now .

The credit card is "Propel 365 American Express CC " through Wells Fargo Bank . It has No foreign exchange rate for foreign transactions .It is point type card for benefits . Cost is first year free & then $45 per year . This card takes 7 to 10 business days to receive it once approved . ;)

This new credit card now solves using a american credit card in many foreign countries & removes the anxiety of credit card issues abroad:D

American express is not accepted in a lot of places in Australia.

Yes you will need to be careful with an Amex here, you'd still need a backup card. We have one and can use it at hotels, grocery stores, department stores etc but smaller businesses rarely take them and it's hit and miss in restaurants. Places that do take them often charge a 4% fee.

I believe that Amex charges the merchant a higher fee than Visa and MasterCard and that is why a lot of businesses in Australia will not accept Amex, or if they do, they charge a higher fee. In my experience, in Australia most business do not charge a fee at all. There are a few exceptions (like paying for a cruise:)), but the fee for Visa & MasterCard is usually 1.5%.

More and more businesses are starting to charge a credit card fee. Even Aldi charges 0.5% now.

I believe that Amex charges the merchant a higher fee than Visa and MasterCard and that is why a lot of businesses in Australia will not accept Amex, or if they do, they charge a higher fee. In my experience, in Australia most business do not charge a fee at all. There are a few exceptions (like paying for a cruise:)), but the fee for Visa & MasterCard is usually 1.5%.

Service Stations and Hotels are the two I'm noticing it at more and more often.

If you shop around they will waive the fee.

Thanks to competition and TA's realising that the cruise market can be very lucrative for them , some on line TA's are openly advertising ...No Credit Card Fees....

More and more businesses are starting to charge a credit card fee. Even Aldi charges 0.5% now.

ALDI charged a fee years ago when they first accepted them.

I actually haven't noticed an increase in charging surcharges; just certain industries are more likely to charge than others.

a if Austrlian establishments decline a chip &pin American Express CC,then they will need to accept payment with our American Visa CC that has the chip & signature (no pin )

Seems to me Australian establishments are making it too hard to do business with American tourists. Would hope they all realize how much business they could loose ,during their weak economy ,if they make issues with our credit cards:eek:

a if Austrlian establishments decline a chip &pin American Express CC,then they will need to accept payment with our American Visa CC that has the chip & signature (no pin )

Seems to me Australian establishments are making it too hard to do business with American tourists. Would hope they all realize how much business they could loose ,during their weak economy ,if they make issues with our credit cards:eek:

Businesses are not targeting Americans at all. As far as Amex goes they either refuse or charge all cardholders whether locals or overseas visitors.

I am awaiting arrival of my Amex card - only got it to pay for my cruise in November and they will give me 110,000 FF velocity points which will pay for us to fly to Hawaii next year to cruise back to Australia.

I am sure you will have no trouble using your Visa card when Amex is not accepted.

Businesses are not targeting Americans at all. As far as Amex goes they either refuse or charge all cardholders whether locals or overseas visitors.

I am awaiting arrival of my Amex card - only got it to pay for my cruise in November and they will give me 110,000 FF velocity points which will pay for us to fly to Hawaii next year to cruise back to Australia.

I am sure you will have no trouble using your Visa card when Amex is not accepted.

This is correct. Aussies arent making it hard for americans at all.

But I can find you plenty of american businesses who dont want to deal with people from down under. I think they are afraid of the dragons.

Business who charge added fees on American credit cards will eventually not get American money. The word gets around .:eek:

What a ridiculous statement. Do you know how many billions of dollars the Chinese tourism industry brings into this country ? US travellers are monumentally outnumbered by the Chinese and many other well travelled nations.

And honestly - you are all panicking about nothing. Your cards of any description can and are used here daily. You may have to use a pin. You may have to sign. You may get charged a fee.

Business who charge added fees on American credit cards will eventually not get American money. The word gets around .:eek:

It's not just American credit cards it is any of a particular type, many charge 1.5% on Visa or MasterCard 4% on Amex 2 to 4% on Diners etc regardless if it is from USA AUS or UK or envy here else in the world.

It's not the business it is the Australian Banking industry and the American banking industry that seems to be the last in the world to adapt.

As an aside do you really think that American tourists make up such a massive part of the Australian economy.

It's not the business it is the Australian Banking industry and the American banking industry that seems to be the last in the world to adapt.

As an aside do you really think that American tourists make up such a massive part of the Australian economy.

It is a business choice whether they charge or not.

As for banks it's pretty standard around the world to charge for credit card transactions. They're not in the business of doing thing for free, just like most people and businesses.

I have been following this thread with interest, as we have dear American friends visiting here next year. So, whilst out shopping yesterday, I asked around at various small shops ie clothing boutiques, local deli, a coffee shop, supermarket, petrol station etc. re how they process an overseas visa or mastercard that does not have chip technology, no pin and needs signature. All replies were much the same........all said 'that's a good question', 'we would have to drag out our old machine or use the side slot', 'or we could ring it through just like when the machines are down', similar to purchasing something over the phone with your credit card.

In other words, they all had an answer, none were prob managers/owners, so in the end they have many ways to take money to secure the sale.

The supermarket was the only one that would accept amex btw.

An interesting little exercise!

I have been following this thread with interest, as we have dear American friends visiting here next year. So, whilst out shopping yesterday, I asked around at various small shops ie clothing boutiques, local deli, a coffee shop, supermarket, petrol station etc. re how they process an overseas visa or mastercard that does not have chip technology, no pin and needs signature. All replies were much the same........all said 'that's a good question', 'we would have to drag out our old machine or use the side slot', 'or we could ring it through just like when the machines are down', similar to purchasing something over the phone with your credit card.

In other words, they all had an answer, none were prob managers/owners, so in the end they have many ways to take money to secure the sale.

The supermarket was the only one that would accept amex btw.

An interesting little exercise!

Yes ,we are aware that merchants will find a way to use with visa .Master cards from the USA . For if they don't they can actually violate the Credit card banks agreement between them & the bank .We were told this by visa .;)

What is the concern for American travelers/tourists to other countries is the anxiety of not knowing whether they will experience problems & only local currency would be accepted ;). It is a legitimate concern & this is why we were going into our Wells Fargo Bank branch for extra Australian dollars ,when we found out that the Wells Fargo /American Express credit card had a chip & pin # :).Now ,we seem to be back to where we were because of the charges that American Express levies on vendors in other countries . Aside from the higher charges to vendors ,American Express ,imo, gives the best credit card service of any credit card company & we have been loyal to them for 18 years .

We will carry that new American Express CC & our Visa Chip & signature credit card along with our cash ATM cards ,for back up ;). We are careful to only carry visa or master card credit cards that carry no exchange rate fees .We are carrying $200 Australian dollars into Australia

for our 6 days in Sydney .the first experience using one of our credit cards will be paying for a Sydney taxi to our hotel .

We are happy that Australians speak English ;which makes communications much easier:D .Although we found that traveling the major cities of the world Englsh is very well understood:)

Edited by mcrcruiser

I agree that it is the banks who call the shots . As far as tourism is concerned ,it is a vital source of "additional " revenue to many local establishments ,restaurants ,stores . local transportation & sight seeing venues .It is not the only revenue generator tourism impacts all economies of the world including the USA . Without tourism many jobs would disappear;which is obvious

In today's world economy many countries are tied to China's economy ;which has weakened . Also commodity based export countries are hurting because of the slow down in China's economy .This is why the US dollar has gained so much strength recently . However ,a strong US dollar has a double edge sword .A stronger US dollar raise our export costs & a lower foreign currency makes it less costly to export their goods. all in all it becomes a delicate balancing act . Car sales in China as a example have hit a barrier of lower sales expectancy

Yes ,we are aware that merchants will find a way to use with visa .Master cards from the USA . For if they don't they can actually violate the Credit card banks agreement between them & the bank .We were told this by visa .;)

What is the concern for American travelers/tourists to other countries is the anxiety of not knowing whether they will experience problems & only local currency would be accepted ;). It is a legitimate concern & this is why we were going into our Wells Fargo Bank branch for extra Australian dollars ,when we found out that the Wells Fargo /American Express credit card had a chip & pin # :).Now ,we seem to be back to where we were because of the charges that American Express levies on vendors in other countries . Aside from the higher charges to vendors ,American Express ,imo, gives the best credit card service of any credit card company & we have been loyal to them for 18 years .

We will carry that new American Express CC & our Visa Chip & signature credit card along with our cash ATM cards ,for back up ;). We are careful to only carry visa or master card credit cards that carry no exchange rate fees .We are carrying $200 Australian dollars into Australia

for our 6 days in Sydney .the first experience using one of our credit cards will be paying for a Sydney taxi to our hotel .

We are happy that Australians speak English ;which makes communications much easier:D .Although we found that traveling the major cities of the world Englsh is very well understood:)

That will cost you...., but expect to pay a surcharge for the privilege.

Yes ,we are aware that merchants will find a way to use with visa .Master cards from the USA . For if they don't they can actually violate the Credit card banks agreement between them & the bank .We were told this by visa .

What is the concern for American travelers/tourists to other countries is the anxiety of not knowing whether they will experience problems & only local currency would be accepted. It is a legitimate concern & this is why we were going into our Wells Fargo Bank branch for extra Australian dollars ,when we found out that the Wells Fargo /American Express credit card had a chip & pin # :).Now ,we seem to be back to where we were because of the charges that American Express levies on vendors in other countries . Aside from the higher charges to vendors ,American Express ,imo, gives the best credit card service of any credit card company & we have been loyal to them for 18 years .

Who told you that Australians sleek English:confused::confused:

Most I know sleek Australian different kettle of fish all together.

the first experience using one of our credit cards will be paying for a Sydney taxi to our hotel.

A word of warning, taxis generally add a 5% surcharge (down from 10%) on all non cash payments. Plus side is, you don't have to tip. If you pay cash, people often round up to the nearest $5 or so.

I hope you enjoy your trip.