I have a theory about MDR

My theory is that in an effort to scale down the crew overhead, the main dining room experience will go away to a slightly upscale buffet. Those who want a dining room experience with a wait staff will pay for it in specialty dining. Royal is pretty close to that dining style already and the posts in this thread supports it's acceptance.

Burt

Every time we go into the restaurant ot is packed so can't see any reason to change.

43 cruises and counting.

I'm just thrilled that I don't have to cook or do the dishes.

My attitude exactly. I'm known as a good cook and even better baker (used to do custom wedding cakes and other cakes for local restaurants) - BUT if I don't have to do the shopping, cooking and cleaning up, everything I'm served takes two steps up. I actually like gelatin based desserts as I never make them myself.

My theory is that in an effort to scale down the crew overhead, the main dining room experience will go away to a slightly upscale buffet. Those who want a dining room experience with a wait staff will pay for it in specialty dining. Royal is pretty close to that dining style already and the posts in this thread supports it's acceptance.

Burt

Every time we go into the restaurant ot is packed so can't see any reason to change.

43 cruises and counting.

I think it will move to how they do breakfast and lunch in the MDR with the middle section a buffet / prepared foods a la minute, and proteins on the main menu to order. Formal Night will move OUT of the main dining room to other venues on the ship. It will be a combination buffet/menu; drinks will be supplied by waiters and the menu will be half free, half for charge. The items in the center will be free, salads and sides served.

Much less staff this way.

If this takes more than 5 years I'd be shocked; I fully anticipate Formal Night will be in other venues and not an MDR thing by 2020. I can see the scale back in service happening in lock step or shortly after.

Please don't flame. My theory is that many people overeat during the day and don't enjoy the select offerings in the MDR at night. They may or may not be outstanding. All I am saying is that you have to be hungary for a good meal.

You do not *have to be* hungry to enjoy a meal lol.

The "hunger is the best sauce" comment from someone else is how you justify serving awful food but it's appreciated. Not sure the chefs onboard are going for that justification for liking your food lol.

But no, we rarely eat lunch and yet the vegetarian offerings are just so "meh". Even the one thing I liked, the sweet and sour sit nuggets, were bad last time.

We do talk to the servers and they will bring Indian food, which is nice, but then this last cruise they didn't listen to what we were saying, and went way too far, bringing "surprises" and just huge amounts of food to us. And we tried to just keep our comments light, not wanting to complain about too much food, but each night it was more on the table and more food was left and it was getting embarrassing.

Could be - because they sure can whine about the MDR. When I read the many whiny comments, I always think about what wonderful cooks they must have at home that prepare great three course meals each night for them.

At home we have a salad, some sort of "entree", and generally a simple dessert. If the food onboard could be as tasty as what we have at home it would be lovely. Can someone make that happen please?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My theory is they have reduced the quality and service standards to have a bigger difference to the extra cost options. The MDR is frequently quite good, but rarely excellent, and our last few trips the service could best be described as chaotic; some nights fast, some nights agonizingly slow, no personality from the servers. They worked hard for sure, it was all they could do to keep up. This is no mistake or one off fluke.

That may have been your experience but is contrary to ours. We have found very personable and able servers in the My Time Dining rooms on a variety of ships and the flexibility of dining hours far outweighs those rare occasions when we have had to wait for a table. Mind you, we were strong proponents of traditional dining when MTD was first introduced, but it took but a few experiences with i t to make it our favored form of dining. We have had less pleasant experiences with the lines' form of MTD, but for us, RCI does it very well.

In an affluent household the ingredients used to prepare the daily meals will normally be considerably superior to those typically used in the MDR. And, those superior ingredients combined with a normal level of cooking skill result in better meals. When these same affluent households dine out they select restaurants that will deliver a meal that is special relative to what they enjoy at home. Against this type of benchmark the food in the MDR is terrible.

RCL is low cost cruise line and you need to remember that this means there is quite a diversity of people on each cruise; some have barely paid $50 a head per night and some are paying more than twenty times that amount. There is a considerably gradient of expectation in terms of what will be received but RCL needs to make a profit from even those who have hardly paid anything - the "free" food thus needs to be super low cost to provide.

The negative reviews of the MDR are completely valid for the demographic they represent. RCL has other options for these folk and by and large they should be happy with them; they may still complain for example that Chops isn't a great streak house but on the other hand it's not a truly terrible one either - it's broadly acceptable when taken as a whole with everything else RCL offers.

The only issue I see is that RCL advertises in a manner that tries to create an expectation of fine dining and those who are sucked into believing that they'll get this (at such a low price point it's not really a believable claim) probably do have cause to complain.

It would not make sense for someone who feels this way to cruise Royal Caribbean. Someone from an affluent household who chooses Michelin starred restaurants to "deliver a meal that is special relative to what they enjoy at home" would be very unwise to cruise RCI if that is the quality of food that they need to feel good about a meal. They would be much happier on one of the upscale lines.

I grew up in an affluent home. When I go to grandmas house we still eat lavish meals prepared by "the chef". I am forced to attend family events at fine dining establishments. However, I love the MDR and the buffet on mainstream cruise lines. I am sailing on Royal for the first time this summer but I expect I will love it as much as any of the others.

Edited by 2ferfun
clarity

That may have been your experience but is contrary to ours. We have found very personable and able servers in the My Time Dining rooms on a variety of ships and the flexibility of dining hours far outweighs those rare occasions when we have had to wait for a table. Mind you, we were strong proponents of traditional dining when MTD was first introduced, but it took but a few experiences with i t to make it our favored form of dining. We have had less pleasant experiences with the lines' form of MTD, but for us, RCI does it very well.

I agree totally we always do my time and it is always excellent.

43 cruises and counting.

I agree totally we always do my time and it is always excellent.

43 cruises and counting.

You've never had to wait in line or had "iffy" service with MTD? Lucky.

The staff levels are way down. It has been years since we have had 3 or 4 staff at a table; now it seems like 2 + bar is the norm regardless of table size

I disagree completely with the original post. While I do appreciate really good, expensive food, I also appreciate Applebees and McDonalds. I think the food at TGI Fridays/Applebees/Olive Garden is "good" with the expectation i have going there.

I think cruise MDR food compared to even standard chain restaurants food is extremely plain, underseasoned and generally flavorless. This goes for all of the lines Ive been on. There has been some above average dishes occasionally, but I would compare cruise MDR food to like CHEAP wedding/banquet food that is extremely plain and traditional, generally pretty flavorless and rubbery meats. It's not even on par with Applebees in my opinion. We still mostly eat in the MDR for our meals because now we know the expectation. we don't expect 5 star food, but at the same time I wouldn't ever call it really good no matter how hungry i am.

Edited by jetta8300

It would not make sense for someone who feels this way to cruise Royal Caribbean. Someone from an affluent household who chooses Michelin starred restaurants to "deliver a meal that is special relative to what they enjoy at home" would be very unwise to cruise RCI if that is the quality of food that they need to feel good about a meal. They would be much happier on one of the upscale lines.

I grew up in an affluent home. When I go to grandmas house we still eat lavish meals prepared by "the chef". I am forced to attend family events at fine dining establishments. However, I love the MDR and the buffet on mainstream cruise lines. I am sailing on Royal for the first time this summer but I expect I will love it as much as any of the others.

I disagree. You don't have to be affluent to know how to cook or season your food correctly. Some of the poorest people i know are the best cooks.

I happen to be a good cook, I get Blue Apron boxes delivered to my house regularly and I am used to very flavorful food, and it doesn't cost a lot. Some of the most affluent people i know won't eat anything but plain cheeseburgers and buttered noodles. The problem with MDR food for us is that its extremely plain. Hardly any distinct flavor or seasoning in the dishes at all. That may be why others feel that it is "bad".

To assume that someone has to be affluent to appreciate correctly seasoned and prepared food is crazy. People in poor communities would probably think MDR food is extremely bland and flavorless.

Edited by jetta8300

You've never had to wait in line or had "iffy" service with MTD? Lucky.

The staff levels are way down. It has been years since we have had 3 or 4 staff at a table; now it seems like 2 + bar is the norm regardless of table size

I pre- book the times i want online for 8.30 after leaving the Diamond lounge so yes sometimes we have to wait 10 minutes for our table for 2 but never longer.

43 cruises and counting.

I disagree completely with the original post. While I do appreciate really good, expensive food, I also appreciate Applebees and McDonalds. I think the food at TGI Fridays/Applebees/Olive Garden is "good" with the expectation i have going there.

I think cruise MDR food compared to even standard chain restaurants food is extremely plain, underseasoned and generally flavorless. This goes for all of the lines Ive been on. There has been some above average dishes occasionally, but I would compare cruise MDR food to like CHEAP wedding/banquet food that is extremely plain and traditional, generally pretty flavorless and rubbery meats. It's not even on par with Applebees in my opinion. We still mostly eat in the MDR for our meals because now we know the expectation. we don't expect 5 star food, but at the same time I wouldn't ever call it really good no matter how hungry i am.

They are cooking for several thousand not 70 so it is good quality for how many meals they cook.

43 cruises and counting.

I disagree. You don't have to be affluent to know how to cook or season your food correctly. Some of the poorest people i know are the best cooks.

I happen to be a good cook, I get Blue Apron boxes delivered to my house regularly and I am used to very flavorful food, and it doesn't cost a lot. Some of the most affluent people i know won't eat anything but plain cheeseburgers and buttered noodles. The problem with MDR food for us is that its extremely plain. Hardly any distinct flavor or seasoning in the dishes at all. That may be why others feel that it is "bad".

To assume that someone has to be affluent to appreciate correctly seasoned and prepared food is crazy. People in poor communities would probably think MDR food is extremely bland and flavorless.

I love escargots most nights and a steak or chefs special then when we want something better we go to a specialty restaurant.

43 cruises and counting.

I disagree. You don't have to be affluent to know how to cook or season your food correctly. Some of the poorest people i know are the best cooks. I am a good cook, I get Blue Apron boxes delivered to my house regularly and I am used to very flavorful food, and it doesn't cost a lot. Some of the most affluent people i know won't eat anything but plain cheeseburgers and buttered noodles. The problem with MDR food for us is that its extremely plain. Hardly any distinct flavor or seasoning in the dishes at all. That may be why others feel that it is "bad".

I think I wasn't clear with my post. I was not at all saying that someone has to be affluent to appreciate quality food. I was refuting what a previous poster said about affluent people disliking the MDR because of their affluency. You are making the same point I was...that affluent people can like any kind of food. I agree with your point as well that people of limited means can also have a discerning palate and prefer high quality food. The point we are both making is that it comes down to individual taste. It is not directly related to income.

I think I wasn't clear with my post. I was not at all saying that someone has to be affluent to appreciate quality food. I was refuting what a previous poster said about affluent people disliking the MDR because of their affluency. You are making the same point I was...that affluent people can like any kind of food. I agree with your point as well that people of limited means can also have a discerning palate and prefer high quality food. The point we are both making is that it comes down to individual taste. It is not directly related to income.

Thats true but the extra money for specialty restaurants is well worth paying for a notch up in food quality.

43 cruises and counting.

Thats true but the extra money for specialty restaurants is well worth paying for a notch up in food quality.

43 cruises and counting.

This was the point of my original post; they have purposely limited quality and service in the MDR otherwise people would have a harder time paying for "notch up"; they'd think wait, I already paid for sit down dinner and paid for service, is it really worth paying on top for both again? On one hand you have a larger variety with specialty dining, something new to try, but on the other hand I haven't had anything in a specialty restaurant that I would not have expected, quality wise, in the MDR 10 or 15 years ago.

Maybe having the same wait staff every night and being able to walk in without waits on the next cruise will change my overall opinion on the experience.

Our major issue on ships and in restaurants is the over use of salt. You do not have to use excessive amounts of salt to prepare a meal that tastes great. There are many herbs which can be used when cooking that make delicious meals without the use of salt.

We found the MDR on Brilliance a level below a high school cafeteria. We had 3 meals in specialty restaurants and they did not compare with meals in the identical restaurants on Oasis. Portions were smaller and food was warm, not hot on Brilliance. We have never had this experience on Celebrity no matter which ship we were sailing. All chefs seemed to be following the same recipies.

Love MTD and have never had to wait. I too book a dining time and have never had an issue with wait staff. They were quite attentive on Brilliance.

This was the point of my original post; they have purposely limited quality and service in the MDR otherwise people would have a harder time paying for "notch up"; they'd think wait, I already paid for sit down dinner and paid for service, is it really worth paying on top for both again? On one hand you have a larger variety with specialty dining, something new to try, but on the other hand I haven't had anything in a specialty restaurant that I would not have expected, quality wise, in the MDR 10 or 15 years ago.

Maybe having the same wait staff every night and being able to walk in without waits on the next cruise will change my overall opinion on the experience.

You are right plus the reports​ of and the hard sell what we had on Vision for chops grill shows what they would like us to do.

43 cruises and counting.

I do find this thread entertaining. We've tried Chops, Giovanni's, & Sabor. The latter two being the better. But there is no way they are worthy of $50 to $75 more per night (for 2) people. We treat our dining at a specialty restaurant much like we treat eating out when at home. Meaning, on a 7 day cruise, dining out of the MDR is a good change. But to think or believe that any of the specialty restaurants is a better food or service than the MDR is just that... a belief. It isn't. It's a change of pace. Some believe spending more money makes it better, it doesn't. But they feel good about it, so whatever. RCCL love this type of cruiser. We have never sent food back while dining in the MDR. We have Chops... twice.

They are cooking for several thousand not 70 so it is good quality for how many meals they cook.

43 cruises and counting.

I still disagree. It doesnt matter how many people you're cooking for to add some more oregano or flavor to a large pot or dish. Chipotle cranks out tons of burritos every hour and they are well seasoned and flavorful. They put some lime and cilantro in their rice instead of using plain rice. Same idea.

Carnival had the right idea with adding Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy's Burgers to their ships. Inexpensive food done RIGHT. You can make food that isn't expensive flavorful, and these two places are good examples.

I do agree with certain demographics liking more adventurous foods. Younger people, and those who live in metropolitan areas with lots of restaurant choices probably are the most disappointed with MDR food. I live in a metropolitan area where you can get AMAZING food at a food truck. For $6. You don't have to be eating filet or lobster to be eating good, flavorful food. And cruise ship MDR food is just incredibly boring and plain. I'm just saying you shouldn't have to pay an extra $40 per person to get a meal for dinner that's decently seasoned.

Burt

I only see your example via the Jammer Buffet.

I would love to eat at some of the whiner's homes. The food served is usually good. It may not be prepared the way you like it. Out of about 600 dinners on cruise ships I have had 2 terrible dinners. Flip side, I have had 3 of the best meals ever.People feel they have to complain about things.

I would love to eat at some of the whiner's homes. The food served is usually good. It may not be prepared the way you like it. Out of about 600 dinners on cruise ships I have had 2 terrible dinners. Flip side, I have had 3 of the best meals ever.People feel they have to complain about things.

This.

I agree completely. I enjoy eating in almost all venues of every cruise ship I have been on. I think some people feel that if they complain it makes them look discerning. I am not saying that about anyone here, just people in general. My own family is like this. It drives me crazy.

I haven't had as many as you, never had any I'd call terrible, if I get something I don't like I ask for something else. But can't say I've ever had he best meal of my life either.