Cruise Traditions

macfam76

Similar to 'bury me at sea's' comment way back at post #3, DW and I always hold hands the last few feet of the gangway, and then jump together from the threshold of the gangway onto the deck of the ship. It's our way of officially starting our cruise vacation! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Brilliant!

We do the same thing! I dress for dinner (we dress up every night) and then wait for her in the cigar lounge. She arrives looking ravishing and always finds a way to let me know what's under the new dress. I never know what she'll be wearing. We pretend we're meeting for the first time!

• Like 3

we do the same thing! I dress for dinner (we dress up every night) and then wait for her in the cigar lounge. She arrives looking ravishing and always finds a way to let me know what's under the new dress. I never know what she'll be wearing. We pretend we're meeting for the first time!

love it!;)

We have a tradition that started way back on our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Majesty is famous for small cabins, but we expected that and were not bothered by it. However in order to make use of the limited space I would shower and dress for dinner first and then go to a bar, usually the Schooner on RCI ships and have a brew or two & make new friends while the wife had the room to herself to get ready. I always enjoyed seeing her coming in to join me, especially on formal nights when she was all dressed up. I would get that "first date" feeling all over again. Even with the larger cabins we have kept this tradition through the years.

I know this post is almost a year old, but this is the sweetest thing I've ever read! <3 I wish everyone could find such love! :)

• Like 2

I have 4:

1.) If I like the love shows, I will go to them twice!

2.) If there's a Del Sol around, I will stop and but as much as I can!

3.) The same for #2 also applies to any Margueritaville

4.) I must buy the Bottomless Soda package and drink a Diet Coke on the first day!

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Brought from Nantucket ferry tradition--

We toss a penny overboard on departure >> for good luck on this cruise, and guarantee a repeat journey in the future.

(Yes, against ship rules; I'm a rebel.

Yes, I may trash the entire marine ecosystem with a penny; not a tree-hugger).

Tsk... tsk.. tsk!

Just imagine all the fragile ecosystems you've already destroyed with just that one, entirely selfish, self centered tradition of yours! <wink> ;);p

P.S. Not a tree hugger either!

Edited by KroozNut
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
We have a tradition that started way back on our first cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. Majesty is famous for small cabins, but we expected that and were not bothered by it. However in order to make use of the limited space I would shower and dress for dinner first and then go to a bar, usually the Schooner on RCI ships and have a brew or two & make new friends while the wife had the room to herself to get ready. I always enjoyed seeing her coming in to join me, especially on formal nights when she was all dressed up. I would get that "first date" feeling all over again. Even with the larger cabins we have kept this tradition through the years.

Same here. It is fun when she arrives. I'm not terrible looking, but my wife is a timeless beauty, who prefers to dress as if we are headed to the Oscars when we're on a cruise, so there is always the "wow" from the bartender or any fellow pax I've been chatting with when she walks up, as in "wow, SHE married YOU?" I'm not too offended. :)

Edited by theotherchad
clarity
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 7/3/2017 at 2:12 PM, theotherchad said:

Same here. It is fun when she arrives. I'm not terrible looking, but my wife is a timeless beauty, who prefers to dress as if we are headed to the Oscars when we're on a cruise, so there is always the "wow" from the bartender or any fellow pax I've been chatting with when she walks up, as in "wow, SHE married YOU?" I'm not too offended. 🙂

How sweet.  It's wonderful that you find your wife so beautiful.  I would love to have a tradition like this.  

On 11/2/2016 at 4:42 PM, CanobieFan said:

Still being new to cruising.... I pretty much put my stuff in the room and then run around the entire ship exploring, being sure to find the ice cream machine along the way!

Yes, my first ice cream is always one of my favorite things. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, OhioCruiseNuts said:

Koozies.  I'm the guy who buys all the koozies.

When we get home they keep our beers cold and remind us of the good times!

LOL   Same here.

We have a boatload of koozies from many of the islands......

• 1 year later...

On the first night at sea, I try to find an open deck (if I don't have a veranda stateroom), as dark as possible that overlooks the ocean.  I say a prayer.  I thank God for allowing me to again be able to enjoy a cruise.  And, I say a prayer of thankfulness for my Mother who was responsible for me developing my love of travel and cruising.

On the last night at sea, this practice is repeated.  With an addendum to our Heavenly Father:  permit me to experience another travel adventure.  

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I do a walking tour of the ship on every at 2:00 PM to see what is new and I also am on the lookout for  crew members that I have met on previous Holland America cruises.  I include members of my roll calls who want to accompany me and want a head start on finding venues.  Sometimes alone, I have had as many as 32 roll call members with me.

Holland America has their own ship tour with hundreds of attendees so each ship venue has a representative on standby waiting for the big tour..My tour just arrives earlier and my small group has the opportunity to ask them lots of questions. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2016 at 2:03 PM, EBFURR said:

• Like 2

Being well dressed for an evening is never a disappointing experience.  

Not particularly popular now on some cruises.  But, I have lived long enough, thanks be to God, that I know that history is cyclic.  Such dress will again be "the expected standard" in the future. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 11/2/2016 at 4:42 PM, CanobieFan said:

Still being new to cruising.... I pretty much put my stuff in the room and then run around the entire ship exploring, being sure to find the ice cream machine along the way!

We do something similar:  we go to the tip top of the ship and "circle our way down", noting everything.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2016 at 2:03 PM, EBFURR said:

... I would shower and dress for dinner first and then go to a bar, usually the Schooner on RCI ships and have a brew or two & make new friends while the wife had the room to herself to get ready. I always enjoyed seeing her coming in to join me, especially on formal nights when she was all dressed up. I would get that "first date" feeling all over again. Even with the larger cabins we have kept this tradition through the years.

Yeah, the "I wanna wear shorts all the time" people miss these moments. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, the "I wanna wear shorts all the time" people miss these moments. 

I have to admit that I have sort of become one of those people. We rarely dress up any more. To do so puts you in the minority these days. We usually do specialty dining on formal nights these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am not the only one  - but guess I will be the first to share - I pack about 100 rubber ducks to hide during the cruise for others to find - even the staff enjoys it - they make people who find smile.