CCers in harm's way, let us know you are safe

RMLincoln

Thank you all for your good thoughts. We in The Villages, central Florida-mid State are quite anxious, but prepared as best we can.:hearteyes:
I have family holed up in central FL, mid state. Yes nervous all around but soooo much better there than many other places. Hang in there! m--

I live in a building that has hurricane windows, according to Dade County standards, but only good for up to 140 mph. We have three very large generators to keep up the air conditioning and elevators. One floor is a nursing home, so they have 100% power. Employees were able to bring their families here and the auditorium has been turned into Camp Irma. Yes, I feel safe, but still scared for the first time in the 27 years I've lived in Sarasota. I'm supposed to be boarding the Maasdam Wednesday to sail thru the Canal up to San Diego. Haven't packed yet, but the problem will be whether Rt. 75 is all above water for the limo to be able to get me down there. I figure that by Tuesday we should know. HAL has said they'll call or email me if their plans to stop in FLL change. Maasdam left Boston yesterday.

I live in Scotland but visit florida a few times a year, just back a few weeks ago actually, its heartbreaking to watch the news here and see what the people are up against. My thoughts are with everyone and hope you are all safe, praying there is as little damage done as possible for everyone. In scotland every one moans about our horrible weather but when you see what the United states gets hammered with sometimes it makes u realise how lucky we are. Good luck everyone x

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in a building that has hurricane windows, according to Dade County standards, but only good for up to 140 mph. We have three very large generators to keep up the air conditioning and elevators. One floor is a nursing home, so they have 100% power. Employees were able to bring their families here and the auditorium has been turned into Camp Irma. Yes, I feel safe, but still scared for the first time in the 27 years I've lived in Sarasota. I'm supposed to be boarding the Maasdam Wednesday to sail thru the Canal up to San Diego. Haven't packed yet, but the problem will be whether Rt. 75 is all above water for the limo to be able to get me down there. I figure that by Tuesday we should know. HAL has said they'll call or email me if their plans to stop in FLL change. Maasdam left Boston yesterday.

Sounds like you are good hands down there :) I am not in a flood zone here but still very nervous too!

We are away from the storm surge but about 3 blocks from the Hillsborough river. We have flood insurance and are 17 feet above sea level. All prep is done - just planning what to put in coolers later this afternoon so we don't have to open the fridges. We have a generator and gas ready so we can keep the fridges and freezer going for a few days. A friend is in South Tampa and we told him he can come up here if he wants. He has a condo on the 2nd floor and can't board the windows so he's a bit concerned. I plan to take a lovely hot shower mid afternoon before we lose power. Also making thermoses of coffee and hot water for tea to have on hand. We have the grill and extra tank in the garage so we can cook after the storm passes. Made a cold pasta salad we can have for dinner and a loaf of fresh bread in the bread machine yesterday. This is sad, but if work has power (downtown Tampa) before we do, I'm going to look forward to going to work if only for the A/C!

Good you are safe there and have generators. Let us know what you hear from HAL about Maasdam. Hoping is all works out for you. Thanks for checking in. m--

My thoughts are exactly as the OP's! I have friends who live and own property in Florida and I am very concerned about them. My Church has a Prayer Chain. Members of our Church's Prayer Chain have been asked to pray for all of those in Irma's path.

Absolutely, May all ae spared and safe in the path of this nightmare storm.

We';ve not heard from jtl, (John...) Hope all is okay with him and family.

To all our CC family in harm's way, please let us know you are safe! We are keeping you all in our hearts and prayers. m--

My thoughts exactly.....we will probably get the left-overs about this time next week.....but more concerned for those who have been evacuated or in the storm's way and that are going to be affected in the next couple of days. Please stay as safe as you can.....

Some good news. The eye looks like it will only be a category 1 as it goes either over Tampa or to the east of Tampa. The storm sped up but being over land is losing strength. Looks like we may be on the west side of the eye which is good since we're out of the strongest quarter and fewer tornadoes. Water has been sucked out of Tampa Bay but will flood back in as the storm passes and the wind direction changes. We lost power about 5PM but oddly it has come back on for who knows how long - I won't question it! At least there won't be any work tomorrow!

Some good news. The eye looks like it will only be a category 1 as it goes either over Tampa or to the east of Tampa. The storm sped up but being over land is losing strength. Looks like we may be on the west side of the eye which is good since we're out of the strongest quarter and fewer tornadoes. Water has been sucked out of Tampa Bay but will flood back in as the storm passes and the wind direction changes. We lost power about 5PM but oddly it has come back on for who knows how long - I won't question it! At least there won't be any work tomorrow!

Sounds like it's looking better for you, stay safe! Let us know how you fare. m--

AIS currently shows Maasdam southbound in the North Atlantic at 17.8 knots on a line even with Atlantic City, NJ, after having rounded Cape Cod, Mass. Her ETA to Port Everglades on that same map is listed as 10:00 AM on Wednesday, 13 SEP 17 which is about four hours later than a "normal" arrival. Unknown of course, if PEV will be open and able to handle cruise ships on Wednesday depending on damages sustained from Irma. All the best to you!

We live just south of Miami, about a stones throw from Biscayne Bay. We were told to evacuate and we did....all the way up to Chicago! Reason? Well, I don't fly and we figured that since the train from New Orleans to LA wasn't running (we drive to NOL/take Sunset Ltd from there) that we needed to get somewhere to get a train to LA. So, 4:15AM this past Thursday we began our long trek north. We used to live outside Chicago so we have plenty to do to keep us busy until Saturday when we catch the Southwest Chief to LA. Then we'll bum around Vegas, Long Beach and San Diego until the cruise.

Just worried because we have no way to find out (anytime soon) how our condo and boat fared. Hopefully the Association will be able to get into the property in a couple days to assess.

Linda R.

AIS currently shows Maasdam southbound in the North Atlantic at 17.8 knots on a line even with Atlantic City, NJ, after having rounded Cape Cod, Mass. Her ETA to Port Everglades on that same map is listed as 10:00 AM on Wednesday, 13 SEP 17 which is about four hours later than a "normal" arrival. Unknown of course, if PEV will be open and able to handle cruise ships on Wednesday depending on damages sustained from Irma. All the best to you!

Many thanks for the update John. Many are wondering and hoping for the best. m--

We live just south of Miami, about a stones throw from Biscayne Bay. We were told to evacuate and we did....all the way up to Chicago! Reason? Well, I don't fly and we figured that since the train from New Orleans to LA wasn't running (we drive to NOL/take Sunset Ltd from there) that we needed to get somewhere to get a train to LA. So, 4:15AM this past Thursday we began our long trek north. We used to live outside Chicago so we have plenty to do to keep us busy until Saturday when we catch the Southwest Chief to LA. Then we'll bum around Vegas, Long Beach and San Diego until the cruise.

Just worried because we have no way to find out (anytime soon) how our condo and boat fared. Hopefully the Association will be able to get into the property in a couple days to assess.

Linda R.

I love a long train trip! Trusting yours will got well. Glad you are safe I hoping you get word about your home and boat and can put your mind to rest too. Have a great cruise. Thanks for checking in. m--

I never lost power here and it was a long night with no sleep.

It is still very windy and rainy here but clearly things would have been worse if the storm had been a Cat 4 as predicted and not the Cat 2 that we experienced.

More later......

It is still very windy and rainy here but clearly things would have been worse if the storm had been a Cat 4 as predicted and not the Cat 2 that we experienced.

More later......

Glad you are safe and didn't experience the worst part of the Hurricane.

More later......

Very glad to hear you have power and are safe. Hope you get a little rest today. Thanks for checking in. m--

We survived! No damage that I can see other than debris in the yard. Storm was a cat 1 and went over east of us so we were on the 'good' side of the storm. Lost power about 5PM Sunday but it mysteriously came back on about 6:45PM and stayed on - very surprised but not complaining. Went to sleep after 11PM update, woke about 1:30AM to blowing but slept through until about 5:30AM. Now for the cleanup. Eric's brother house a few blocks away is fine as well.

Thanks for asking! Safe and sound and well fed aboard Oasis now. Not sure what we will go home to on Florida's east coast, but friends are now checking on our house. Royal Caribbean has been phenomenal to us!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Thanks for asking! Safe and sound and well fed aboard Oasis now. Not sure what we will go home to on Florida's east coast, but friends are now checking on our house. Royal Caribbean has been phenomenal to us!

And you are posting this on the HAL board?

Maasdam currently on a south-westerly course in the North Atlantic at 12.5 knots on a line even with Savannah, Georgia, experiencing 27 knot winds from the east, now showing an ETA of 0600 hrs on Wed, 13 SEP 17 at Port Everglades

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-76.8/centery:31.5/zoom:6

And you are posting this on the HAL board?

Perhaps they saw the title "CCers in harm's way, let us know you are safe" as it didn't specify HAL cruisers. Glad to know more Floridians are safe; hopefully their property will be safe as well.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Happy to hear that the worst is over, it seems. I imagine there will be a lot of cleanup to do. Maasdam is making good time! Now we have to hope that airports open in time for people boarding in Fort Lauderdale can make it. The ship will have to be avoiding Jose on the way down from Boston.

Good to hear romm some of you thatt you are safe. Hope more CC'ers drop by to lee us know they, too, are fine. "jtl and cat" Hope all is well with you.