Verizon travel pass

I will be using Verizon's travel pass on my cruise to costa maya and Cozumel...is it only good when I am actually off the ship or can I use it in Port also?

The ship turns off it's cell tower somewhere off shore in order not to interfere with land based cell towers, so while in port, you would be using the land based towers.

I will be using Verizon's travel pass on my cruise to costa maya and Cozumel...is it only good when I am actually off the ship or can I use it in Port also?

I am considering travel pass too. My daughter used it in Spain and loved it. I'm just not sure how it works on a cruise. Has anyone had experience with this?

I am considering travel pass too. My daughter used it in Spain and loved it. I'm just not sure how it works on a cruise. Has anyone had experience with this?

It does not cover any usage when on Cellular at Sea. It will cover usage on any supported land based carrier. See Verizon for a list of countries covered.

Does not include any coverage while at sea.

I have used a travel pass in Cozumel with no issues. You can activate travel pass before you leave or you can just follow the text instructions once you are with in Cozumel. The 24 hr period doesn't start until you actually use your phone. Once you have activated travel pass, anytime you are in a travel pass country and use your phone, you will be charged the cost of a travel pass.

If your ship overnights in a port, you can be charged for two separate days of travel passes if you don't keep track of your 24 hour period. We recently overnighted in Nassua since we missed Coco Cay. We got to Nassua at 1:30pm and didn't leave until 6pm the following day. I didn't take my phone out of airplane mode until we got back to the ship around 5pm the first day and used my phone until just before 5pm the next day so I would only incur one $10 charge. I made sure I put it back in airplane mode so nothing could automatically update and cause me to have a second charge.

We used Travel Pass on our cruise earlier this year to Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. The service in Roatan was pretty good, it was OK in Costa Maya, and it was great in Cozumel. When you are actually in port, you will certainly be using the land based towers and should get a "Welcome to Mexico" message. We kept out phones on in case we accidentally got lost from our pre-teen, and we were generally happy with the coverage.

• 4 months later...

Based on what I read on this thread, verizon travel pass will indeed work when at an int'l port, BUT when the ship is at sea it doesnt because the tower is turned off; can someone confirm?

Based on what I read on this thread, verizon travel pass will indeed work when at an int'l port, BUT when the ship is at sea it doesnt because the tower is turned off; can someone confirm?
Yes, the only signal at sea is generated by the ship. ATT Celular at Sea. Around $250 for a 30 minute call.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Verizon Travel Passes are available for specific countries, check Verizon's website for the cost and countries covered. While at sea, the ship's tower is turned on, not off as it is in port, and your texts and calls will be covered under Cellular at Sea. Calls for Verizon customers are $2.99 per minute and texts are 50 cents/5 cents for send and receive. Verizon no longer supports data while at sea on cruise ships.

According to Verizon's website, if you have unlimited, it's free in Mexico!

Is there a plan specifically for traveling in Mexico and/or Canada?

Yes, you can add the Mexico and Canada Plan to your existing plan, or add TravelPass for $5/day to use your domestic talk, text and data allowances.

On Go Unlimited and Beyond Unlimited your talk, text and data* while in Mexico and Canada is included without the daily fee.

Have you considered switching to T-Mobile? You can get a month of international roaming for $10/mo. Great coverage in every port that RC stops in. I use to have Verizon but the daily fee became too much to mentally continue paying

Yes, the only signal at sea is generated by the ship. ATT Celular at Sea. Around $250 for a 30 minute call.

You are charged by your personal cellular carrier. Not the ship. Not Cellular at Sea. We have AT&T and it costs the same on the ship as it does roaming on land without a package (obscenely expensive).

Since most cellular companies don't offer packages, it is best not to let your phone roam at all on the ship. We buy a wireless package and use it to get our email and make AT&T WiFi calls.

Just back from Costa Maya and Cozumel Two weeks ago. I have the Verizon Unlimited Plan . Mexico is Included with Unlimited Plan now at no extra cost for phone,text or data. The only catch is you get 500mb at LTE speed then drops to 2g after that for data. I always had Lte or 3G at both places. This applies only when in port or on land.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Cellular at Sea is not ATT. Any phone can roam on Cellular at Sea, not just ATT customers. Anyone using Cellular at Sea is charged by their carrier.

We have AT&T and it costs the same on the ship as it does roaming on land without a package (obscenely expensive).

Not quite the same. Cruise ship rates are higher than the land eqivilents, especially data. Cruise ship rates for data are $8 per mb, on land it’s $2.05 per mb. Still obscenely expensive, though.

We use the Verizon travel pass all the time. It does work on the ship. I was talking to my Mom on the phone while we were pulling out of a port once and she kept chatting as we were getting farther and farther away from land. We were sailing for at least five minutes before I hung up. No problems.

We use the Verizon travel pass all the time. It does work on the ship. I was talking to my Mom on the phone while we were pulling out of a port once and she kept chatting as we were getting farther and farther away from land. We were sailing for at least five minutes before I hung up. No problems.

It worked because you were still connected to a cell tower on land. Once you are out of range of land towers, it will not work and your phone will default to using the ship's cell tower once it is turned on.

Cellular at Sea is not ATT. Any phone can roam on Cellular at Sea, not just ATT customers. Anyone using Cellular at Sea is charged by their carrier.

True, anyone using Cellular at Sea is charged by their carrier for roaming on Cellular at Sea. Your carrier sets the fees. Cellular at Sea though is a subsidy of......AT&T.

Edited by Charles4515

It worked because you were still connected to a cell tower on land. Once you are out of range of land towers, it will not work and your phone will default to using the ship's cell tower once it is turned on.

Yes! I didn't want to hang up on my Mom, but I knew I had to disconnect before I was too far away from the cell tower on shore. I have learned not to call her so close to departure time!

I use T-Mobile, the bill from T-Mobile said ATT Cellular at Sea Bahamas. They were nowhere near the Bahamas when calls were made. Middle of a TA

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Yep, our cell phone works for about 5 minutes leaving PC

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

True, anyone using Cellular at Sea is charged by their carrier for roaming on Cellular at Sea. Your carrier sets the fees. Cellular at Sea though is a subsidy of......AT&T.

That is news to me and I worked for ATT for 16 years. I was going to ask you for a reference to that because everything I’ve ever read was that Cellular at Sea was operated by Wireless Maritime Services but now I see on their (WMS) web page that they are a subsidiary of ATT. I swear that was not there the last time I looked them up. I wonder if that was a recent ATT acquisition? Regardless, color me surprised.