Bring food back on board

When we are in a port and we visit a market or a shop, can we bring food(cheese, Candy or local treats) with us back on the ship?

In 99% of the ports yes. (Just referring to cheese, flowers, things not sealed. Stuff in the bags we see here in stores is fine). They will let you know if you can't. It's usually a non issue.

We brought food on to HAL ships a number of tim es and it was no issue. We told them what was in the bag, they nodded, scaned i t and we went on our way We never took food off the ships but yes, we brorught b ack lobster l unches for friends on Canada/NE cruises, we brought smoked meat sandwiches for friends in Mon treal, wedges of cheese here and there and it was permitted. Use a bit of 'common sense'tas go what you bring and how you plan to safely store it without a ttracting unwanted 'pests o r unpleasant odors.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, I have brought food back. I love to check out grocery stores in other countries to see what's available and also check prices on "imported" US foods like Oreos. I've brought back local goodies to try, like sugar cakes in Barbados or chocolate in Grenada.

On a New England and Canada cruise, my goal was to eat lobster roll in every port. Because of early departures in a few ports, I brought it back to eat on our balcony. In Saint John, I asked the man at the stall in the market to wrap it well because it might get bounced around when I put my bag through the scanner. He was surprised that anyone would take food onto a ship when ships have a reputation for feeding passengers constantly!

I've also brought back farmers market strawberries, taking advantage of Nova Scotia's late summer/early fall crop. I'm not sure fresh produce is OK (according to a recent thread). But we kept them in the mini fridge and they were consumed quickly.

All of this was bought with the expectation of eating it on board, except for sealed packages of tea or candies.

We were in Monterey California on a Celebrity ship. I don't even eat clam chowder but I picked up a giant to go container from one of the restaurants for my friend who stayed on the ship. They asked what was in the bag and said… No soup for you. Really, they took my soup! I literally had just purchased it for about $15.

We were in Monterey California on a Celebrity ship. I don't even eat clam chowder but I picked up a giant to go container from one of the restaurants for my friend who stayed on the ship. They asked what was in the bag and said… No soup for you. Really, they took my soup! I literally had just purchased it for about $15.

When we ported in San Francisco on our California coastal cruise a few years ago, they wouldn't allow someone with fresh bakery items to bring them onboard. They were told "only pre-packaged, sealed, food items"

When we ported in San Francisco on our California coastal cruise a few years ago, they wouldn't allow someone with fresh bakery items to bring them onboard. They were told "only pre-packaged, sealed, food items"

Yes, that's exactly what they told me. I learned the hard way.