11pm Departing Barcelona muster drill?

ThePenguin1

We are booked for a TA leaving Barcelona at 11pm, Can we check in, drop bags in cabin and then go straight back ashore for the remainder of the day and evening?

We are concerned about the timing of the muster drill, Is anyone familiar with the process?

You will be told to be on board by 8pm, probably. That is when the muster will be.

Are your documents available yet...might mention this there.

I wonder why they do this? I believe U.S. Coast Guard regulations require lifeboat drill within 24 hours of sailing so I would think following morning would be more convenient unless itinerary dictates otherwise.

I wonder why they do this? I believe U.S. Coast Guard regulations require lifeboat drill within 24 hours of sailing so I would think following morning would be more convenient unless itinerary dictates otherwise.
Since the Costa Concordia tragedy I believe all lines do the drill before leaving port. On that voyage a drill had not yet been done since leaving Civitavecchia.

SOLAS regulations state:

2.3 Whenever new passengers embark, a passenger safety briefing shall be given immediately before sailing, or immediately after sailing. The briefing shall include the instructions required by regulations 8.2 and 8.4, and shall be made by means of an announcement, in one or more languages likely to be understood by the passengers. The announcement shall be made on the ship’s public address system, or by other equivalent means likely to be heard at least by the passengers who have not yet heard it during the voyage. The briefing may be included in the muster required by paragraph 2.2 if the muster is held immediately upon departure. Information cards or posters or video programmes displayed on ships video displays may be used to supplement the briefing, but may not be used to replace the announcement.

Edited by catl331

I agree...since Costa Concordia, muster is done prior to sailing.

What authority would the USCG have in BCN. SOLAS has the authority there, I would think.

We have done sailings at various hours after 8pm...always did the muster before sailing, both in, and outside of the US.

We are booked for a TA leaving Barcelona at 11pm, Can we check in, drop bags in cabin and then go straight back ashore for the remainder of the day and evening?

We are concerned about the timing of the muster drill, Is anyone familiar with the process?

Drill will be at 4:00pm, if you're off the ship you'll need to do it the next day early am....

We've done cruises where we had an overnight stay the first night (after the Costa incident)

there was muster around 4 pm and then a follow up one later (the next morning before we sailed) for those that came in later or missed it.

Once you board, a When and where will be in your cabin. there should be details there and easy to check.

Enjoy :)

there was muster around 4 pm and then a follow up one later (the next morning before we sailed) for those that came in later or missed it.

Since I'm not one to sit around onboard ship when I can be ashore, the above situation as posted by kazu is what I've found to be true.

Anytime you have a long period in port on embarkation, you're going to have folks arriving at all times. They will usually arrange two different musters and, failing that, will let you know when you are expected to attend a make-up muster. They WILL find you. Several times I've missed the muster because it was stupidly scheduled just when most people would be off ship sightseeing. But I've always gotten notice of the make-up time before leaving port, as required.

We've done cruises where we had an overnight stay the first night (after the Costa incident)

Once you board, a When and where will be in your cabin. there should be details there and easy to check.

Thank you Kazu, hope you enjoy your May trip.

Since I'm not one to sit around onboard ship when I can be ashore, the above situation as posted by kazu is what I've found to be true.

Anytime you have a long period in port on embarkation, you're going to have folks arriving at all times. They will usually arrange two different musters and, failing that, will let you know when you are expected to attend a make-up muster. They WILL find you. Several times I've missed the muster because it was stupidly scheduled just when most people would be off ship sightseeing. But I've always gotten notice of the make-up time before leaving port, as required.

Thank you Cruisemom42, you are right, we would like some more time exploring Barcelona before sailing as we arrive quite late instead of sitting on the ship.