Late Docking and Embarcation

Clarabella_Baby

Hello,

Yesterday I got the following e-mail, below, from Holland America regarding my cruise in 2 weeks out of San Diego:

I've read lots of posts on here regarding arriving at the port to embark around 11:00am and getting on the ship as soon as possible but never anything about a ship docking as late at 10:00am! I can't imagine the ship being ready any time before noon. When do you think I can reasonably board? 2pm like the letter suggests?

Halp and thanks!

For guests embarking Zaandam in San Diego on May 1, please be advised that the

ship will dock at 10:00am and is required to undergo a full guest clearance by

US Customs and Border Protection prior to arriving guests being allowed to

board the ship. Consequently, our embarking guests are advised to delay their

arrival to the terminal until after 2:00pm to alleviate congestion and avoid a

lengthy wait for embarkation, as there will be two ships in port that day. If

you purchased a pre-cruise hotel package through Holland America Line your

transfer time will be provided at your hotel. Guests who arrive on shared

transport or as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be

available to our 4 and 5 Star Mariners. The ship will dock on the south side of

the B Street Terminal and all guests are asked to be on board no later than

6:00pm. We appreciate your attention and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Did they give a reason?
Cruisetimetables says she arrives 10:00 and departs 23:00. Unusual, but apparently not for any special reason.

Cruise Schedule: Fort Lauderdale, Florida (14 Apr d1600);Willemstad, Curacao (17 Apr 0800-1600); Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) (19 Apr 0500(+0)); Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica(21 Apr 0700-1700); Corinto, Nicaragua (22 Apr 0900-1700);Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala (23 Apr 0700-1700); Puerto Chiapas, Mexico (24 Apr 0800-1700); Huatulco, Mexico (25 Apr 0800-1800); Manzanillo, Mexico (27 Apr 0800-1700); Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (28 Apr 0700-1500); Cabo San Lucas, Mexico (29 Apr 0800-1600); San Diego, California (01 May 1000-2300); San Francisco, California (03 May 0800-2300); Vancouver, Canada(06 May 0700-1900); Seattle, Washington (07 May a0700)

That does seem a little unusual. I have seen this if they have propulsion problems but unlikely they could fix something like that in time to leave that afternoon. I would take their suggestion and arrive around 1:00 or so.

That does seem a little unusual. I have seen this if they have propulsion problems ...
I don't think this indicates a problem, just the way it's scheduled. On 11/4 the E-dam leaves SD at 16:00 and arrives at Cabo at 10:00 on 11/6. Same 42 hours but going south instead of north. 730 nm at 17 kts.

I don't think this indicates a problem, just the way it's scheduled. On 11/4 the E-dam leaves SD at 16:00 and arrives at Cabo at 10:00 on 11/6. Same 42 hours but going south instead of north. 730 nm at 17 kts.

The original plans for time of departure have never changed. It was always planned for 11:00pm which I thought was kind of odd at the time.

I do hope everyone boarding in San Diego and planning on flying back to San Diego on Sunday May 6 check your airlines on line. My original flight left Vancouver at 12:10pm . It was changed to 10:15am. My travel agent was never informed and in some systems still showed 12:10 time. Thank goodness I saw this Sunday and was able to switch airlines and departure time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You cannot book an appointment at the spa during the muster drill, they like all the ship's services are closed for the drill. The staff knows the time of the drill and would not except an appointment at that time.

I sailed out of San Diego last year on a HAL cruise and received a somewhat similar e-mail. The B-street cruise terminal technically can handle two ships at once, but it was crowded and seemed less able (less equipped) to handle the number of people who showed up between 11am and 1pm for the two ships in port that day.

Another thing is that the roads outside the pier were highly congested, so even getting to the pier in a taxi, bus, car, or whatever seemed to take longer that one would hope/expect.

It seems that HAL is proactively trying to stagger the the times that people disembark and embark when two ships at at the pier.

Per the Port of San Diego schedule, there will be two HAL ships docking there May 1, Nieuw Amsterdam and Zaandam. The Nieuw Amsterdam is assigned the north side nearer the terminal building. Perhaps the idea is to try and get many of the Nieuw Amsterdam passengers off first, then start disembarking Zaandam, then board Nieuw Amsterdam, and finally board Zaandam. That could thin out the crowds compared with disembarking both ships at once then boarding both ships at once.

Another thing is that Cabo to San Diego seems to be a bit of the tight run to make with one sea day. It seems like the departure time from Cabo is often around 2pm or 3pm. I see the cruise before yours is scheduled to stay a bit later, 4pm, so it would be tight getting back to San Diego at the more typical 7-8 am. In return passengers on the previous cruise get a bit more time in their last call in Mexico.

Finally, the Zaandam is sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver via San Diego and San Francisco. I suspect there might be quite a few B2B (i.e. continuing) passengers going all the way from Florida to Vancouver. Thus, the chosen port time might be designed to be more typical of an en route port and less like a typical turn around port.

So, mostly speculation, but I wouldn't suspect much is going on here other then crowd control and optimizing the departure time from the port before San Diego and the arrival time into the next port after San Diego.

Another thing is that Cabo to San Diego seems to be a bit of the tight run to make with one sea day. It seems like the departure time from Cabo is often around 2pm or 3pm. I see the cruise before yours is scheduled to stay a bit later, 4pm, so it would be tight getting back to San Diego at the more typical 7-8 am.
They could knock 2 hours off the 720>730 nm run by increasing the average speed by just 1 knot, or 3 hours by adding 1.5 knots ... but that would burn more fuel. (The Zaandam top speed is 23 kts so averaging 19 shouldn't be problem IMO.) I think it's more of a case of spreading out the crowds debarking the two ships. Edited by catl331

You cannot book an appointment at the spa during the muster drill, they like all the ship's services are closed for the drill. The staff knows the time of the drill and would not except an appointment at that time.

I was hoping that was the case. Thanks Mike!

I wonder if our muster will be later than ususual as we don’t leave until late. It is the second leg of a B2B so wonder if all of the passengers on the first leg don’t have to do the muster. Maybe it will be short and sweet. Wishful thinking.

I sailed out of San Diego last year on a HAL cruise and received a somewhat similar e-mail. The B-street cruise terminal technically can handle two ships at once, but it was crowded and seemed less able (less equipped) to handle the number of people who showed up between 11am and 1pm for the two ships in port that day.

Another thing is that the roads outside the pier were highly congested, so even getting to the pier in a taxi, bus, car, or whatever seemed to take longer that one would hope/expect.

It seems that HAL is proactively trying to stagger the the times that people disembark and embark when two ships at at the pier.

Per the Port of San Diego schedule, there will be two HAL ships docking there May 1, Nieuw Amsterdam and Zaandam. The Nieuw Amsterdam is assigned the north side nearer the terminal building. Perhaps the idea is to try and get many of the Nieuw Amsterdam passengers off first, then start disembarking Zaandam, then board Nieuw Amsterdam, and finally board Zaandam. That could thin out the crowds compared with disembarking both ships at once then boarding both ships at once.

Another thing is that Cabo to San Diego seems to be a bit of the tight run to make with one sea day. It seems like the departure time from Cabo is often around 2pm or 3pm. I see the cruise before yours is scheduled to stay a bit later, 4pm, so it would be tight getting back to San Diego at the more typical 7-8 am. In return passengers on the previous cruise get a bit more time in their last call in Mexico.

Finally, the Zaandam is sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver via San Diego and San Francisco. I suspect there might be quite a few B2B (i.e. continuing) passengers going all the way from Florida to Vancouver. Thus, the chosen port time might be designed to be more typical of an en route port and less like a typical turn around port.

So, mostly speculation, but I wouldn't suspect much is going on here other then crowd control and optimizing the departure time from the port before San Diego and the arrival time into the next port after San Diego.

That all makes complete sense. I suppose I’ll cool my heels and board a little bit later. I’m always one of those ones at the port really early wanting to board as soon as possible. I would rather wait at the port, trying to read my book, and soak in all the pre-cruise atmosphere.

Maybe I’ll grab a great Mexican lunch a one if the amazing restaurants in San Diego. Great Mexican is hard to find up here in Canada.

I wonder if our muster will be later than ususual as we don’t leave until late.
Based on my experience I would guess mid-evening, say around 8:00. The email you got said "board no later than 6:00 pm", so it can't be an afternoon drill.
It is the second leg of a B2B so wonder if all of the passengers on the first leg don’t have to do the muster.
Again IME, it depends on the turnover. If the number of new boarders are relatively small they could have a drill just for them, but if a large number join they won't bother to sort out who must and who musn't, and just have a drill for everybody. We've had it both ways. My guess is that it will be for everybody.