Civitavecchia - What time did disembarkation start when scheduled arrival is 5am?

southwestgal

Hi Everyone,

We're scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia on November 3, 2018 at 5am on the Crown Princess. She is the only cruise ship in port that day.

I realize that 5am is the scheduled arrival and I shouldn't expect disembarkation to start until some time afterwards. I'm hoping that someone who has experienced Civitavecchia with a 5am docking can let me know what their disembarkation experience and timing was like.

Princess recommends that passengers not book a flight earlier than 6 hours after scheduled arrival. Our flight was originally scheduled to depart 8 hours after arrival. Now, the airline has changed the departure time and it is scheduled to depart 5.5 hours after arrival.

I have a private transfer booked for 6:30 am pickup. Is that realistic? Will I be able to get off the ship at that point? The previous day we'll be in Naples, so we're going from one Italian Port directly to another. Will we be able to get off earlier than 6:30? We can walk our luggage off ourselves. I'm not sure what time people can pick up their luggage if they choose to leave it out the night before.

Any direct experience at this port is helpful. I understand that stuff happens with weather, unexpected items, etc. But, if all goes well, can I expect to get off the ship no later than 6:30 am.

Thanks and please no lectures that I shouldn't even try it. I'm weighing my options here because there are no other good flights - all of the others increase my time in travel by another day. It's just 30 minutes earlier than Princess' cut-off and I have to believe that they pad the recommended time themselves just to cya themselves.

Thanks!!!!

It varies day by day, and cruise line by cruise line. No one is going to be able to guarantee you get off by 6:30. Yes, some may post anecdotal reports, but as someone frequently posts here, the plural of anecdotal is not data.

It has been a few years, but the last time we were there we docked at 4:45, but no one was let off the ship before 7:15. That being said, cruise lines seem very aware that there are a lot of flights to the US in the 10:30-11:30 range, and are trying to get people off earlier. If you read down the board, you will see 10:30 is the absolute earliest flight recommended if flying direct to the US.

Is your flight direct to the US? You need to allow 2.5-3 hours at FCO to clear security. If you are flying somewhere else, either connecting to the US, or not, the issue is much easier.

Would it be possible to tell the airline the time change is unacceptable, and they arrange a different flight for you?

Hi Everyone,.........

I realize that 5am is the scheduled arrival and I shouldn't expect disembarkation to start until some time afterwards. I'm hoping that someone who has experienced Civitavecchia with a 5am docking can let me know what their disembarkation experience and timing was like. ......

Thanks!!!!

Hi , our cruise on Jewel (RCI) ended in Civitavecchia ( July 2017). Our arrival time was 5am.

The first guests (who were taken their own luggage) were allowed to leave the ship about 6:45am.

I am having the same problem with a Celebrity cruise returning October 30, and I made the airline reservation 3 months ago through the cruise line, Choice Air. Delta changed the flight to 1 hour earlier. The airline will refund our money and Choice Air will reschedule us, but we have to pay $460 more than we already paid for a new flight and get home 6 hours later. We can take Delta's new earlier flight time, but it leaves 20 minutes before Celebrity's cut off time, so they will not help or take responsibility if we miss the flight. It is upsetting that the airlines do this to the flying public.

I am bummed, and not sure what to do. We have returned to Civitavecchia twice before and people began leaving around 6:30 AM, but It will be stressful. We will need a good private transfer waiting for us.

I am having the same problem with a Celebrity cruise returning October 30, and I made the airline reservation 3 months ago through the cruise line, Choice Air. Delta changed the flight to 1 hour earlier. The airline will refund our money and Choice Air will reschedule us, but we have to pay $460 more than we already paid for a new flight and get home 6 hours later. We can take Delta's new earlier flight time, but it leaves 20 minutes before Celebrity's cut off time, so they will not help or take responsibility if we miss the flight. It is upsetting that the airlines do this to the flying public.

I am bummed, and not sure what to do. We have returned to Civitavecchia twice before and people began leaving around 6:30 AM, but It will be stressful. We will need a good private transfer waiting for us.

That is a really awful way for an airline to treat you. I had no idea that they could do that.