???? Big Movie screen outdoors?

oratheeexplorer

I can't remember what port it was but we were parked right next to one of those ships that have the big movie screens outdoors. We could hear and see the movie while we were on deck laying by the pool. It was so annoying as we just wanted to relax on the ship while most people were off in port. I don't even understand why they would show a movie while the ship is docked in port.

Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) is one feature I hope Celebrity never gets. I have heard from other boards that it runs all day with movies and music, is too loud, and is a gigantic eyesore. It seems impossible to get away from when topside. I can't imagine it fits into the image Celebrity is trying to project for itself especially on the Solstice-class ships.

Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) is one feature I hope Celebrity never gets. I have heard from other boards that it runs all day with movies and music, is too loud, and is a gigantic eyesore. It seems impossible to get away from when topside. I can't imagine it fits into the image Celebrity is trying to project for itself especially on the Solstice-class ships.

I totally agree. This is one of the major reasons we came back to Celebrity this year after last years cruise on Ruby Princess where we found the noise from the movies, which started in the morning, to make sitting out on deck and carrying on a conversation, impossible. When the pool side band would play, they had to increase their volume to compete, and the noise level was almost painful.

Does Celebrity have the big movie screen out on the open deck like Princess does? Just wondering.....thinking about trying Celebrity and really like Movies Under The Stars.....

Believe Princess and Disney have the large movie screens outside.

Does Celebrity have the big movie screen out on the open deck like Princess does? Just wondering.....thinking about trying Celebrity and really like Movies Under The Stars.....

Thank God, but they do not.

Instead you can enjoy a nice jazz concert while laying on a blanket on the yard.

I found that Princess would run MUTS on port days w/animated kids features when there was hardly anyone around to watch it. Most people (adults) went into the Solarium to get away from it. I think they should limit it to evenings only. I hope Celebrity does not get it.

Cannot say we enjoyed movies under the stars but watching the football playoffs two years ago was really great. At night on a lounge chair, favorite gal next to me with a bucket of beer and bottle of wine. Doesn't get much better.

msts

I found that Princess would run MUTS on port days w/animated kids features when there was hardly anyone around to watch it. Most people (adults) went into the Solarium to get away from it. I think they should limit it to evenings only. I hope Celebrity does not get it.

When we first encountered MUTS on Sea Princess in 2007, daytime showings were silent, the sound being available only through earphones supplied in each cabin. This year, on Diamond, it blasted out all day, making a peaceful swim/lounge impossible. We were told that some people couldn't be bothered going to their cabins to get the earphones, and had asked for the sound to be turned on, so the policy had been changed.:(

I hope not too. Just off Freedom of the Seas and she was just out of drydock. I have been on sea princess and this was in the day when the daytime was silent and I thought it was good but on FOTS, the sound was loud all day - so doesn't get my vote

MUTS on the Emerald Princess last year was fun for one night. After that, it got pretty annoying, so we moved ourselves far from the screen area. I would never think that it would be the cruise that I would choose just because of the MUTS screen. Either you love it or you hate it.

Lord, I hope not! :eek:

The last Carnival cruise (and I mean LAST) that we were on had the large movie screen that blasted day and night, even at port. I will avoid a ship with the movie screen for now on. It's a shame that RCCL is adding these. We could not here ourselves talking when on deck, and we were not even near the pool and the screen. :mad:

MUTS on the Emerald Princess last year was fun for one night. After that, it got pretty annoying, so we moved ourselves far from the screen area. I would never think that it would be the cruise that I would choose just because of the MUTS screen. Either you love it or you hate it.

Have you seen the artist impressions of new Royal Princess and the MUTS on there? It looks gigantic and sure to be heard all the way into the Adults Only pool area toward the front of the ship. I am sure if someone did a poll most Celebrity guests would NOT want a MUTS screen put on any of their ships.

I can't remember what port it was but we were parked right next to one of those ships that have the big movie screens outdoors. We could hear and see the movie while we were on deck laying by the pool. It was so annoying as we just wanted to relax on the ship while most people were off in port. I don't even understand why they would show a movie while the ship is docked in port.

That happened on one of our Celebrity cruises also - we don't get off the ship in the Caribbean as we have been there, done that. It was very annoying - we had a balcony and were not able to enjoy it or the nearly private pool because of the sound from the movie on the other ship. I hope Celebrity never does it. If we want to see a movie, we can go to the theater where only the people who are in the room are the ones who hear it.

That happened on one of our Celebrity cruises also - we don't get off the ship in the Caribbean as we have been there, done that. It was very annoying - we had a balcony and were not able to enjoy it or the nearly private pool because of the sound from the movie on the other ship. I hope Celebrity never does it. If we want to see a movie, we can go to the theater where only the people who are in the room are the ones who hear it.

Another reason why I have added white noise and music to my Kindle. ;)

There should be an ordinance at the ports against playing the big screens while docked.

The Carnival Splendour also has a Jumbotron - but it's not as bad as what you all are describing on Princess! :eek::eek: The one on the Splendour is by the main pool and it plays all day and some evenings, but they do stop it for Bingo and live musical performances. Also, unless you are in the vicinity of the main pool, you can't hear it or see it on the rest of the topdeck (thank goodness). There are about 3 rows of chairs parked right in front of the Jumbotron which on my cruise were taken up daily by the same chair hogs for the duration of the cruise. They literally spent their entire cruise sitting in those chairs watching the Jumbotron or putting stuff on the chairs to reserve "their" seats. Honestly, why not stay home if all you are going to do on vacation is sit in a chair and watch TV? But there they sat, day after day, rain or shine watching children's movies and pre-taped concerts, commercials about Carnival and whatever other random stuff Carnival showed. One day it was quite cold and raining and many of these chairhogs just pulled a towel over their heads so they wouldn't have to leave their chair. Finally, it turned into a major downpour and all but one woman had finally given up (although they all left their sodden towels behind in order to reserve "their chair.) I watched as her towel filled with water. Finally, she got up with a big splash, soaking wet, shivering, folded her wet towel and put it on "her chair" and left. The ONLY day I saw these chair hogs willingly leave their chairs was the day the Super Bowl was on and the cruise entertainment staff came in and put on BINGO! LOL! They booed, but the staff said they had to stick to schedule, so many of them ran for the sports bar leaving behind whatever they could to reserve "their chair."

Archived