Smart casual and Casual for boys

We are flying out in less than two weeks and I'm working on making sure everyone has the correct clothes. And trying to be efficient since we'll be away for 13 days and are traveling with four children. For formal nights I was going to have my 11 year old son wear khakis and a collared shirt, which sounded like it should be fine. I'm not really sure what the difference is between smart casual and casual. Would it be okay for him to wear shorts for either of those or is that too casual. And is my husband okay with khakis and a collared shirt on both of those occasions? The girls I'm not so worried about, as they will all have skirts and dresses. Any constructive advise would be appreciated.

We are flying out in less than two weeks and I'm working on making sure everyone has the correct clothes. And trying to be efficient since we'll be away for 13 days and are traveling with four children. For formal nights I was going to have my 11 year old son wear khakis and a collared shirt, which sounded like it should be fine. I'm not really sure what the difference is between smart casual and casual. Would it be okay for him to wear shorts for either of those or is that too casual. And is my husband okay with khakis and a collared shirt on both of those occasions? The girls I'm not so worried about, as they will all have skirts and dresses. Any constructive advise would be appreciated.

My guys usually wear khakis and a polo shirt on both casual and smart casual. I think a short or long sleeved shirt would be fine also. I wouldn't worry about the difference between casual and smart casual. You'll get a variety of opinions on the shorts. The official policy is no shorts at dinner and it will be posted each day. On the other hand, they probably won't deny him entrance if he is in shorts. I don't recall seeing people in shorts but based on what I've read here, it does happen.

Forgot to mention, have a great cruise! It is our kids favorite way to vacation!

Shorts aren't really welcome at dinner in the dining room. There is no real difference between casual and "smart" casual....maybe the nicer shirt/pants on the "smart" night.

For men, long pants and collared shirt is considered casual. Women don't have the same restricitons as men...and to be honest, most women will look "smart" everynight.

I have packed a dress suit (sans jacket, but with vest) for our 13 yr old for formal night, he is going to use the pants and just a short sleeved dress shirt for semi formal, then a good pair of jeans with a polo for casual. His shorts are all bball shorts so no MDR for them. :D But on the flip side I really am not sure how much we will use the MDR, when we went to Alaska last year we ate 90% of the meals in the windjammer because we did not have to keep a schedule at all which appealed to us.

My son was 11 last summer on FOS and he did NOT wear shorts in MDR. We took khakis and jeans. Your kids will need jeans if they choose to ice skate (if your ship has that)

The MDR was not our cup of tea, so we went maybe 2 or 3 nights at the most. We enjoy WJ for dinner. It is quiet up there and a lot of selection.

I do understand Moms wanting to put their boys in some knee length plaid shorts and a polo shirt. That is what many boys wear now a days at Garden weddings, etc when it is hot. We just chose to follow the rules. I dont want to show my son that it is ok to not respect rules when we "feel" like it.

I would just take it your meals as it comes. My DS loved Adventure Ocean and could not wait to get there. If I did it again, I would choose MTD and let DS eat and go on to AO. DH and I could either eat in MDR or another place.

Archived