Toulon Plan B

carolinesmom

We were planning to take the train to Cassis. Sounded a little complicated, but I thought we could do it. Getting tickets for the train sounded a little questionable, but I wasn't too concerned until I read in my Rick Steve's book NOT to get on a train without tickets because there is a Euro 70 fine. I had thought we would be able to buy tickets on the train at a higher price just as I do here in New York. Obviously I should not have assumed that and I'm glad I now know it isn't worth getting a huge fine over. So now we need a plan B. We will be in Toulon on Sunday (August 5). I do not want to rent a car and it doesn't sound like there are a lot of options in the port town itself. I'm leaning toward booking a ship excursion. Apparently I missed the cutoff already to book online and will have to wait until we board on Saturday. Bandol and beaches sounded good and I liked the fact that it doesn't depart until 12:30, so we can have a leisurely morning on the ship. Has anyone been there? Was it a good choice? It will be 6 adults and 10 children ranging in age from 8-16.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to fear! If the ticket office, at the station, is not open then you can try to use the ticket vending machine. These machines will take Euros or credit cards but will not generally work with a USA issued credit card (because our credit cards are obsolete technology lacking and EMV chip/PIN). If you do not have the cash or the machine does not work you can simply get on the train and seek out the conductor to buy a ticket. In cases where you cannot buy a ticket at the station the conductor will waive the fine. Another option is that some small newsstands and coffee shops can also sell train tickets (not sure if there is one near the Toulon station).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
Not to fear! If the ticket office, at the station, is not open then you can try to use the ticket vending machine. These machines will take Euros or credit cards but will not generally work with a USA issued credit card (because our credit cards are obsolete technology lacking and EMV chip/PIN). If you do not have the cash or the machine does not work you can simply get on the train and seek out the conductor to buy a ticket. In cases where you cannot buy a ticket at the station the conductor will waive the fine. Another option is that some small newsstands and coffee shops can also sell train tickets (not sure if there is one near the Toulon station).

Hank

I know you have done a lot of traveling, Hank, but I wouldn't get on a train or bus without purchasing a ticket first. We have seen too many people get fined for not validating their tickets, much less not having one at all. You are braver than I am! :)

Archived