President's club

schylger

Are there any President's Club members among the Holland America Line Cruise Critic regulars? For my Holland America Line history website (http://www.halpostcards.com/unofficial) I am trying to get an image of the lapel pin and an understanding of the Christmas presents that have been given to the members by the Line. If anyone can/wants to help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Tiemen

We've sailed with President's Club members on seven day Eurodam Caribbean cruises and we've sailed with a number of 7 day Canada/NE cruises. They don' get to all those days with ONLY Grand Voyage and World Cruises. :) Their numbers are few, though.

I know that I'd really be interested in knowing how many Presidents Club members are still actively cruising. My guess would be in the range of 20 to 30.

We look forward to being considered for an invitation into this select group during the next year or two.

Scott & Karen

You might be right.

It's my understanding President's Club is by understanding. I saw an e-mail of a large group of President's Club at an event on one of the ships. I think there were about 15 or so in the photo. I am sure not all were there.

We know a few couples who are Five Star and I believe they said they have in the range of 1800 + plus days.

The difference is President's Club is based on actual days sailed.

Five star adds the bonus days for spending and booking a suite.

I was speaking with our PCC the other day and found out we have more days than I thought. :o I had lost track. :D

Edited by sail7seas

You might be right.

It's my understanding President's Club is by understanding. I saw an e-mail of a large group of President's Club at an event on one of the ships. I think there were about 15 or so in the photo. I am sure not all were there.

We know a few couples who are Five Star and I believe they said they have in the range of 1800 + plus days.

The difference is President's Club is based on actual days sailed.

Five star adds the bonus days for spending and booking a suite.

I was speaking with our PCC the other day and found out we have more days than I thought. :o I had lost track. :D

Interesting. We had a HM who responded to a question about whether HAL would institute a 5 stars level with "absolutely not". This was 2 years ago so maybe they changed their minds?

So, if there is a 5 star level, what are the rewards?

In reading the annual World Cruise thread by WCB, I have noticed there is talk, each year, about 4 star level rewards.

On our last cruise, I asked the HM at what level those rewards would start and he said at the 1000 day level. Apparently, all the really high Mariners on the World complain that they get only 4 star (200) day rewards and that is not enough.

Would love to have this clarified, but I think this is still a work-in-progress and with all the cutbacks, not likely to occur anytime soon.

A 1000 day level for rewards would not benefit very many, obviously, and would not be something most Mariners will aspire to.

The HAL President's Club = 5 Star Mariner

5 Star Mariner = President's Club

This is an unpublished level. It's as close to a secret society as HAL has. We members keep very quiet about it and nearly all of us are discreet and low profile people.

The requirement for this level is 1,400 days of actual cruise days and an invitation (this is to disqualify people with massive numbers of days who paid travel agent rate; lecturers, double days for suites etc.)

There are about fifty of us; Chris at 55 and member since age 49 and I, member since 2010 at age 59, are the 2 youngest.

The pin is a gold washed image of the Halve Maen and NIEUW AMSTERDAM of 1938. The pins are irreplaceable and we keep ours in a safe deposit box at the bank.

This is an unpublished level. It's as close to a secret society as HAL has. We members keep very quiet about it and nearly all of us are discreet and low profile people.

The requirement for this level is 1,400 days of actual cruise days and an invitation (this is to disqualify people with massive numbers of days who paid travel agent rate; lecturers, double days for suites etc.)

There are about fifty of us; Chris at 55 and member since age 49 and I, member since 2010 at age 59, are the 2 youngest.

The pin is a gold washed image of the Halve Maen and NIEUW AMSTERDAM of 1938. The pins are irreplaceable and we keep ours in a safe deposit box at the bank.

Than you very much for the definitive information!

Thanks for enlightening us, Willem.

Congratulations to you both for such status at your early age. :)

Understandable you would leave your pins in a safety deposit box but what a shame you don't get to wear and enjoy them.

DH wears his Platinum on his lapel when we attend a Mariner event. If I wear a jacket, I would place mine on my jacket, as well.

Good to see you post again and was happy to meet you on the Veendam South America Cruise in March.

Terri

Hi, Sail, hello Silver and Hi, Terri...thanks for the nice greetings.

I like to joke that what we get for being President's Club members is: "an extra meatball at the Mariners' Party" but since the usual tray with a bowl of meatballs and 2 other items seems to have sailed out of the fleet all I can say is that for this unpublished level we get the perks that 4 Star Mariners get and maybe a little more - like an extra bowl of meatballs? ;-)

It's odd. I have 2,222 days now and Chris has over 2,500 (he was sailing as a passenger HAL when I was working in other ships) and neither of us remembers a damn one of the perks.

Thank you for the information.

Seems like every time we ask questions about the levels on different ships -- we get different answers.

Congratulations to getting to the top level!!

We didn't even get the lapel pin when we got to 700 days -- a while back. And DH always loved wearing his lapel pins on his tuxedo.

Willem Ruys,

Thank you so much for your posting, it is great to finally have the proper understanding of the prerequisites. Should you carry a camera next time you are at the bank, I would really appreciate a picture of the pin so I can add it on my history site. If you feel you are willing to help out on completing my knowledge of the Holiday presents, please contact me at tiemen@halpostcards.com. I have a prelim website where I am working on the Mariner's Society history and would be happy to share it with you for your comments.

Hi, Sail, hello Silver and Hi, Terri...thanks for the nice greetings.

I like to joke that what we get for being President's Club members is: "an extra meatball at the Mariners' Party" but since the usual tray with a bowl of meatballs and 2 other items seems to have sailed out of the fleet all I can say is that for this unpublished level we get the perks that 4 Star Mariners get and maybe a little more - like an extra bowl of meatballs? ;-)

It's odd. I have 2,222 days now and Chris has over 2,500 (he was sailing as a passenger HAL when I was working in other ships) and neither of us remembers a damn one of the perks.

We met you and Chris in March on the Veendam, and look forward to see you again in May on the Prinsendam...Buzz & Carol:)

Edited by vb,cruisers

• 3 years later...
I know that I'd really be interested in knowing how many Presidents Club members are still actively cruising. My guess would be in the range of 20 to 30.

We look forward to being considered for an invitation into this select group during the next year or two.

Scott & Karen

It would be interesting to know.

May I suggest that everyone check the Holland America Line web site for an explanation of the "Star Mariner" program and each level's benefits. As we are 5-star (and have been for many years), I can tell you that it is DIFFERENT from President's Club. The Star program, as stated by others, includes credit for spending days and suite days. The President's Club, per HAL, requires 1400 actual sail days, and is still, I believe by invitation only. We are looking forward to reaching this level in 2017, assuming we stay on good behavior.

May I suggest that everyone check the Holland America Line web site for an explanation of the "Star Mariner" program and each level's benefits. As we are 5-star (and have been for many years), I can tell you that it is DIFFERENT from President's Club. The Star program, as stated by others, includes credit for spending days and suite days. The President's Club, per HAL, requires 1400 actual sail days, and is still, I believe by invitation only. We are looking forward to reaching this level in 2017, assuming we stay on good behavior.

I suspect things have changed somewhat since this thread was started four years ago.