Smart phone & wifi in port question

sbcatcher1

In order to avoid roaming costs, you might want to pull the SIM card out (if your phone has one)

Every time I went off the ship I always was able to find free wifi. Usually in a Margaritaville... so that free service costs me a few dollars for booze.

I actually found that a simple tablet worked really well. Mine has a pretty good camera on it, and when I found free wifi in port I was able to use skype to make a few phone calls and post a picture or two on Facebook.

How ironic. I just got off the phone with Verizon re our upcoming cruise this Friday. Each port is different and I was given a break down of the prices to call, text and use data at each port. They did need to connect our phones to some international thing but that was no charge.

The one thing that was emphasized was that free wifi is just that....free. It can be used any place in the world.

I work for Verizon in global tech, you can send email via wifi or I msg (iPhone) but texting will be .50 to send and .05 to receive.

Does Verizon offer wifi calling?

I have tmobile and I use the wifi calling at work and at home because the reception is not the greatest in these areas. These calls do not show up as used minutes. Wonder if I will be able to call that way?

Does Verizon offer wifi calling?

I have tmobile and I use the wifi calling at work and at home because the reception is not the greatest in these areas. These calls do not show up as used minutes. Wonder if I will be able to call that way?

I have T-Mobile as well. As long as your phone is displaying W-Fi Calling as active, you will not be charged roaming fees. Just make you set your connection preference as "Wi-Fi Only". The key is to have a strong wifi signal. You could pick up a wifi signal, but if its not strong enough, Wi-Fi Calling will not enable. I've used my phone through wifi in Canada and the Caribbean with success and no charges this way.

I have T-Mobile as well. As long as your phone is displaying W-Fi Calling as active, you will not be charged roaming fees. Just make you set your connection preference as "Wi-Fi Only". The key is to have a strong wifi signal. You could pick up a wifi signal, but if its not strong enough, Wi-Fi Calling will not enable. I've used my phone through wifi in Canada and the Caribbean with success and no charges this way.

THanks!

Archived