What time to be on deck for sail back into NYC on Breakaway?

psyfi

I would like to take photos of the sail back into NYC at the end of our Breakaway cruise. Can anyone give me an estimate of what time I should be up on deck?

Just got off the Breakaway on Sunday (June 30th), and we had a breathtaking view of the sunrise over the city! We were out of bed around 05:30, woken up by the gentle ringing of a buoy we were passing on the Hudson, and OMG! We had a balcony stateroom starboard side, and were sleeping with the door open. The rising sun was deep red and shining on the water, and Manhattan was all sleepy and in shadow as we sailed past like a gentle giant, quiet as can be. It was a gift, to end the cruise in such a way! I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for all the passengers who were still asleep when this was unfolding in front of us. I have some magnificent photos, that I hope to share in my trip report.

If you want to watch any port entry, the evening before the entry find the time that they expect to pick up their pilot in the morning. This can be done by inquiring at the customer service desk. They will not have the answer on hand but are willing to contact the bridge and get back to you. I have used this method several times on NCL and they were very accommodating.

Bob

Thanks for posting about where to find that information. I'm always one of those crazies up on deck at 4:30 in the morning trying to get pictures coming back into port. I have a feeling I'll get a lot of great ones coming back into New York City at sunrise.

I took that one just a little after 5 AM from our forward balcony while on the Gem.

ImageUploadedByForums1372807784.072620.jpg.e4bc60557011f8bdd6a910f1caca4098.jpg

Very early but it was a blast to see the city and Lady Liberty in that wonderful light.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you want to watch any port entry, the evening before the entry find the time that they expect to pick up their pilot in the morning. This can be done by inquiring at the customer service desk. They will not have the answer on hand but are willing to contact the bridge and get back to you. I have used this method several times on NCL and they were very accommodating.

Bob

Their info is not always the most accurate. I asked the night before what time we would pass the Statue of Liberty, Guest Services told me 4:00am. They were off by over an hour.

Eel, those are great photos, almost surreel.

If you get in that early, do they let you sleep, or do they clang around trying to oust the sleepyheads and make it easier for the cabin cleaning crews?

Ok, so up really early! We have a port balcony so I actually need to leave the cabin for the sail in. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and the beautiful photos!

Just got off the Breakaway on Sunday (June 30th), and we had a breathtaking view of the sunrise over the city! We were out of bed around 05:30, woken up by the gentle ringing of a buoy we were passing on the Hudson, and OMG! We had a balcony stateroom starboard side, and were sleeping with the door open. The rising sun was deep red and shining on the water, and Manhattan was all sleepy and in shadow as we sailed past like a gentle giant, quiet as can be. It was a gift, to end the cruise in such a way! I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for all the passengers who were still asleep when this was unfolding in front of us. I have some magnificent photos, that I hope to share in my trip report.

I'd love to see them.

This photo was from the top deck of CCL Miracle in 2010 @ about 5:00am - notice the Freedom Tower isn't even showing yet. There is something so serene as the ship is gliding quietly back up the Hudson. It was a Monday morning and you could see the city awakening little by little as we got closer to the pier.

ry%3D400

I can sit here at home, click on New York Harbor Web Cam, and watch the ships go under the bridge, in real time. I'll try to get up at 4:00Am, to catch the Breakaway coming in.

On occasion, I have watched it arrive or pull away from the pier in Bermuda.

This morning I was up to watch the Breakaway sail under the bridge around 5:20am. The New York Port webcam is the greatest thing.

Yesterday, I just happened to catch the Queen Mary glide down the Hudson, and under the bridge.

This morning, I saw my favorite ship, the Dawn tie up at the dock, on the Bermuda Port web cam.

It's the weekend and I had some time on my hands.

Great thread. Wow... Love the pictures eel, Single Cruiser, VickyD59, . I love they differ at different times of year.

On time I was woken at ?5 am? as the Gem pulled into port. I never did find out why so early but this was an exception.

Here's last September aboard the Star

Ben kicking his photographer out of bed at 5:00 AM

Ben up on Deck 13 at 5:30 AM

Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at 6:00 AM

Passing the Statue of Liberty at 6:15 AM

Passing One World Trade Center at 6:30 AM

DSCF0621.PNG

DSCF0660.PNG

DSCF0691.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived