Becoming Diamond during cruise question

This has been discussed many times over the years and the general consensus is, you can try but be prepared for the "No.". That's what happened with us and with most people who tried the same thing. The Diamond perks are quite nice, especially the free drinks in the evening, so obviously they make us wait until we have duly earned the status, as it costs them revenue.

The short answer to your question is yes, I have witnessed it. Being prepared for a "no" is good advice... however there are many things that can influence the decision as to elevate you mid cruise or not. Things like are you in a suite, are you moving to Diamond early in the cruise, (I think your situation would be early), is it a longer cruise... 12-14 days or just a 4-5 day, is the cruise maxed out with Diamonds needing to go to an overflow lounge? Ask and hope for the best, if does not work out book another cruise real soon:)

We're just 2 points shy of Diamond level. I know that they don't credit you the points until after the cruise ends. Has anyone ever tried to get the C&A rep on board to grant the new status during a cruise?

4513528488_7e6ca79b7f_b.jpg

The short answer to your question is yes, I have witnessed it. Being prepared for a "no" is good advice... however there are many things that can influence the decision as to elevate you mid cruise or not. Things like are you in a suite, are you moving to Diamond early in the cruise, (I think your situation would be early), is it a longer cruise... 12-14 days or just a 4-5 day, is the cruise maxed out with Diamonds needing to go to an overflow lounge? Ask and hope for the best, if does not work out book another cruise real soon:)

The bottom line is you do not earn any points until you have completed a cruise. Anyone getting benefits early from an LA is not fair to those that do not get those same benefits from another LA.

And FWIW,if you are in a suite, then you will have full access to the Concierge Lounge so there is no reason to bother the LA about getting additional benefits. The only reason to ask for Diamond benefits before actually earning them is access to the Diamond lounge throughout the cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

The bottom line is you do not earn any points until you have completed a cruise. Anyone getting benefits early from an LA is not fair to those that do not get those same benefits from another LA.

I completely agree with you on that one. It's simply not fair.

This has been discussed many times over the years and the general consensus is, you can try but be prepared for the "No.". That's what happened with us and with most people who tried the same thing. The Diamond perks are quite nice, especially the free drinks in the evening, so obviously they make us wait until we have duly earned the status, as it costs them revenue.

I realize that this is the rule and I'm fine with it except when I read on cruise critic of people gaining status because they are travelling with a diamond member or Mom and Dad want their adult child and their partner to "experience the lounge" with them.

I realize that this is the rule and I'm fine with it except when I read on cruise critic of people gaining status because they are travelling with a diamond member or Mom and Dad want their adult child and their partner to "experience the lounge" with them.

Royal does not confer loyalty status on people for simply traveling together. They must live in the same household and either be children or a significant other.

We're just 2 points shy of Diamond level. I know that they don't credit you the points until after the cruise ends. Has anyone ever tried to get the C&A rep on board to grant the new status during a cruise?

I was one point shy of Diamond Plus in May. It was the first leg of a b2b. I was politely told no by the LA. I did get the status changed for the second part of the trip.

Royal does not confer loyalty status on people for simply traveling together. They must live in the same household and either be children or a significant other.

Does this include adult children that still live with you? We will be diamond soon and wondered if our daughter would be allowed in?

Does this include adult children that still live with you? We will be diamond soon and wondered if our daughter would be allowed in?

From the C&A Terms:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjust back to the appropriate tier status."

So, yes, but she'd have to earn D+ on her own points (unless you get there before she turns 18).

FWIW, turned Diamond at the end of our last cruise. Didn't get or expect any benefits on the cruise, but the LA did give us the Diamond balcony discount on our onboard booking so we didn't have to go back and adjust it. I consider that a pretty big benefit!

And FWIW,if you are in a suite, then you will have full access to the Concierge Lounge so there is no reason to bother the LA about getting additional benefits. The only reason to ask for Diamond benefits before actually earning them is access to the Diamond lounge throughout the cruise.

Thank you for the bottom line... I know the rules and I believe the OP knows them as well. I simply was responding to the OP's question with what I have observed. I am fairly certain that you have cruised enough with Royal to know that their policies are not uniformly enforced on all ships by all employees.

In the FWIW worth department suites due include Junior suites and they do not include the Concierge Lounge, and since I do not know what ship the OP is traveling on there still is one ship in the fleet that only has a Diamond Event that they might be able to attend. If the LA decides that the OP can "administratively" allow the OP Diamond status, I don't see any erosion of the fairness scale to those who were denied the additional benefit a scant few days before official entitlement. Every instance has their own set of circumstances.

You never know until you ask and being prepared for a "no" is still good advice.

FWIW, turned Diamond at the end of our last cruise. Didn't get or expect any benefits on the cruise, but the LA did give us the Diamond balcony discount on our onboard booking so we didn't have to go back and adjust it. I consider that a pretty big benefit!

Same with us....we changed status while on a cruise and we got the extra balcony discount when we booked our next cruise onboard. We did have to ask for it though, it wasn't offered.

they do NOT gain status. for every story you hear about people being allowed to bring a 'guest' into a Lounge there are just as many who were DENIED.

and there are always people who SNEAK guests in.. and some of them get caught and are told to leave.

In the FWIW worth department suites due include Junior suites and they do not include the Concierge Lounge, and since I do not know what ship the OP is traveling on there still is one ship in the fleet that only has a Diamond Event that they might be able to attend. If the LA decides that the OP can "administratively" allow the OP Diamond status, I don't see any erosion of the fairness scale to those who were denied the additional benefit a scant few days before official entitlement. Every instance has their own set of circumstances.

You never know until you ask and being prepared for a "no" is still good advice.

There are actually 2 ships in the fleet that still have a Diamond Event. Jewel who will get her DL in April of 2016 and Majesty.

The OP is cruising on Grandeur that has both a DL and a CL.

The only recognition that one gets for booking a JS cabin is one extra point per night.

Edited by cruisenfever

My grand daughter turned 18 in March of this year. She has travelled with me most times. She has received a letter saying she is Diamond. She knows she has to earn the rest.

We are going on another cruise next may. She is happy that she can come in the Diamond Club with me and without me. She earned the states because of me and being in the same room all the time. She only has 72 points. This trip will give her the 80 pts needed on her own.

I agree with almost everything that has been said on this thread except the one comment that sees no errosion in Fairness.

Anyway fact is, there is no such thing as changing Status during a cruise. Even though Points are now calculated by nights they are not awarded by night, but only by completed Cruises. So there can´t be a Change during a cruise, as there are no Points given during a cruise.

(Disclaimer: I know this doesn´t Change the other fact that People have asked and received)

...Anyway fact is, there is no such thing as changing Status during a cruise...

Actually, there is an exception to that rule, which is Pinnacle Club. They award that level during the cruise on which the points are earned.

From the C&A Terms:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjust back to the appropriate tier status."

So, yes, but she'd have to earn D+ on her own points (unless you get there before she turns 18).

Aside from what actually happens on the ship the rule you stated above reads to me the opposite fo what you said.

It clearly says that a relationship to grant the same Status on the ship can only be created for Kids less than 18 years old. So the answer would be no the adult daughter would not be granted same Status.

Aside from what actually happens on the ship the rule you stated above reads to me the opposite fo what you said.

It clearly says that a relationship to grant the same Status on the ship can only be created for Kids less than 18 years old. So the answer would be no the adult daughter would not be granted same Status.

You're right. Misread the question!