American Credit Card Issues in Australia?

Kartgv

I've been reading a thread on the Princess board - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47662199#post47662199 - as well as other sites and am very confused about whether or not we'll have difficulty using our American credit cards on our upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand in January. We had no difficulty on previous trips, but it sounds like things have changed in the last month or so. We've just been issued new cards by Visa, MasterCard, and American Express - they all have chip technology but none of them have pin numbers. From what I'm reading, using these cards is often discouraged or causes confusion, especially in smaller shops or places which are not on the common tourist paths. Surely Australia isn't interested in discouraging Americans from spending more of their money while visiting, but it sounds like they are making it very difficult! I certainly don't want to carry enough cash to cover all our expenses on the trip, so does anyone have any advice? I've heard there are one or two small credit unions in the US that will issue chip and pin cards, but I'm not interested in adding another credit card to my collection, especially from some institution I know nothing about.

We do have a debit card that requires a pin number, which takes the money immediately out of our checking account, but I'm not clear if that will work in AU/NZ either.

Edited by Kartgv

I don't think it is about Americans spending money here - or any other visitor to the country from around the world, it is about the banks bringing on the best practice for security. I don't know why it wouldn't be rolled out the same world wide by Mastercard and Visa.

I would ask your bank, and if the person you speak to isn't sure, ask them to talk to the international section. They should be able to answer you properly, it is their product.

Australian banks have changed their practices in the last making it a requirement that you can't purchase anything without a pin. I work in tourism and our machines still accept cards without a pin. I'm pretty sure the machine can differentiate between different country cards etc so our American customers (as well as many Asian customers) haven't had a problem with their purchases.

Some of our retailers use Pay Wave technology but it is limited to I believe purchases under NZ$80. Wave your card over the scanner and it automatically charges the card.

Visa and Mastercard are accepted almost everywhere but you will need a PIN for them. I think a few places still let you sign but it is a long time since I used a sign card so can't be sure if they still accept them.

American Express a lot of retailers will not accept as there are excess charges for them, so they prefer Visa/Mastercard.

To withdraw any cash at banks, or use the autoteller machines, you will need a card with a pin.

Enjoy your trip :)

That thread is causing unnessisary panic, I can assure you that you can use a swipe and sign credit card here fine.

Australia has introduced chip and pin cards, so Australians all have them now. The pay consoles have been updated over the last few years to now be able to read the new chip and pin cards. For Australians, having to sign for credit card use was phased out last year I think.

HOWEVER, all the card readers still have the normal swipe section, to accommodate for foreign cards. When you go to pay simply swipe and the reader will prompt for a signature. Some staff may be a little surprised by this as they may not be used to seeing it, but it is perfectly legal to do it, you may just need to remind them.

You may come across a few machines that won't take the swipe cards, such a automatic ticket machines at train stations, but there is still a manned booth at most places that you can go up to instead to buy the ticket.

That thread is causing unnessisary panic, I can assure you that you can use a swipe and sign credit card here fine.

Australia has introduced chip and pin cards, so Australians all have them now. The pay consoles have been updated over the last few years to now be able to read the new chip and pin cards. For Australians, having to sign for credit card use was phased out last year I think.

HOWEVER, all the card readers still have the normal swipe section, to accommodate for foreign cards. When you go to pay simply swipe and the reader will prompt for a signature. Some staff may be a little surprised by this as they may not be used to seeing it, but it is perfectly legal to do it, you may just need to remind them.

You may come across a few machines that won't take the swipe cards, such a automatic ticket machines at train stations, but there is still a manned booth at most places that you can go up to instead to buy the ticket.

Agree totally. Am at a SYD airport hotel, returning home (USA) tomorrow. ..Labor Day. Have been in Australia for almost a month. Have had ZERO problems with a US chip and signature card.

Australians believe only a pin and cip card is accepted in Australia because that is the only type of card they can get. However, vender's will accept US style credit cards.

We do have a debit card that requires a pin number, which takes the money immediately out of our checking account, but I'm not clear if that will work in AU/NZ either.

Others have addressed your main comment, but as this hasn't come up, will comment on it.

If your card has a Visa Plus, or MasterCard Maestro logo (usually on the back), then it will also be accepted through those networks. I'd expect it will have one of those. Thus, you could use that as a fallback as well if you wanted to.

However, as above, I'd expect you shouldn't have any issues in general with your primary credit cards.

.... When you go to pay simply swipe and the reader will prompt for a signature. Some staff may be a little surprised by this as they may not be used to seeing it, but it is perfectly legal to do it, you may just need to remind them. .....

On the flip side once when I used my 'pay wave' card in Alaska the salesperson thought I was doing something dodgy and called her manager over as she could not understand why I did not have to sign or swipe anything! :)

100% correct. OP please enjoy your trip & spend as much money here as you can :D

On the flip side once when I used my 'pay wave' card in Alaska the salesperson thought I was doing something dodgy and called her manager over as she could not understand why I did not have to sign or swipe anything! :)

Yep same here, about two years ago, they looked at my chip card in the US, and asked me what the chip was!!

Ummmm, it's advanced form of security that everyone else in the world has been up using for sometime!!

OP don't worry, Australia will happily enjoy taking your money:D

I am sure you will be absolutely fine OP it's not about Australians not wanting Americans money. You may care to read this, very helpful because it is coming to you eventually. US people in another group I am in were getting quite concerned about it all, nothing to be concerned about.

http://www.howtogeek.com/216571/chip-credit-cards-are-coming-to-the-usa-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Edited by tickford

Thank you all for the reassurance that I will have no difficulty spending my money in Australia. The one post concerning New Zealand leaves me a little uneasy, however, as it states you will need a pin except for just a few places. Anyone else have any input on New Zealand?

The one post concerning New Zealand leaves me a little uneasy, however, as it states you will need a pin except for just a few places. Anyone else have any input on New Zealand?

In regards to this, NZ is just like Australia. I travelled in Aus & NZ last month with my colleague from Costa Rica. His cc was just like a US cc ie had no PIN & needed a signature. He used it in both countries with no problems - as per a previous poster said, some staff were surprised as they are used to the latest technologies used 'downunder' ie PIN and 'Paywave'.

Thank you all for the reassurance that I will have no difficulty spending my money in Australia. The one post concerning New Zealand leaves me a little uneasy, however, as it states you will need a pin except for just a few places. Anyone else have any input on New Zealand?

I didn't mean to put you off, sorry if that is how it came across, as I said you can sign with a credit card it is just a long time since I had too.

So you should be fine here, enjoy your trip :)

Just a thought: there will probably always be an option to sign a credit card slip - if only to provide a backup for when technology fails. It would be very rare for a shop to turn down sales because they can't connect online, and almost impossible for a restaurant where payment is after the meal is finished. There always has to be a Plan B. However some staff may not know (or remember) what to do to create a slip for signature so be patient.

Just a thought: there will probably always be an option to sign a credit card slip - if only to provide a backup for when technology fails. It would be very rare for a shop to turn down sales because they can't connect online, and almost impossible for a restaurant where payment is after the meal is finished. There always has to be a Plan B. However some staff may not know (or remember) what to do to create a slip for signature so be patient.

I was at a local restaurant and got quite a surprise. The phone lines were down and their EFTPOS was not working so out from under the counter came the old zip zap machine...:eek:

I was at a local restaurant and got quite a surprise. The phone lines were down and their EFTPOS was not working so out from under the counter came the old zip zap machine...:eek:

Plan B in action ;)

I'm surprised the new machines don't have an option to store the transaction data and print out a signature slip, then automatically transmit when the connection is re-established.

Plan B in action ;)

I'm surprised the new machines don't have an option to store the transaction data and print out a signature slip, then automatically transmit when the connection is re-established.

I think they do. Its more a matter of which establishments have updated their hardware.:rolleyes:

I think they do. Its more a matter of which establishments have updated their hardware.:rolleyes:

Actually NZ was a bit more advanced than Australia with credit card machine technology - many restaurants in Australia only moved to the handheld units in the past year or so, when they were forced to. I noticed them being used more in NZ some years ago, I think.

A couple of weeks ago while we were in Denali, Alaska, a fibre optic cable was severed by roadworkers. All communication was out, phones, cell phones, internet etc. No stores would take credit cards, it was cash only.

Actually NZ was a bit more advanced than Australia with credit card machine technology - many restaurants in Australia only moved to the handheld units in the past year or so, when they were forced to. I noticed them being used more in NZ some years ago, I think.

Not sure if we are more advanced but it is unusual for us to use cash anywhere now, everything is done with cards. That includes parking, tolls etc. All done by phone or credit/debit cards. Pay wave is starting to be almost every where as the machines are upgraded. Makes it a lot quicker at checkouts in the supermarkets. ;)

I know when we travel we have to totally re think how we pay for things and always take cash as the first option. While in Europe last year cash was certainly king for getting any bargains and we were refused Credit card use in a few places.

Not sure if we are more advanced but it is unusual for us to use cash anywhere now, everything is done with cards. That includes parking, tolls etc. All done by phone or credit/debit cards. Pay wave is starting to be almost every where as the machines are upgraded. Makes it a lot quicker at checkouts in the supermarkets. ;)

I know when we travel we have to totally re think how we pay for things and always take cash as the first option. While in Europe last year cash was certainly king for getting any bargains and we were refused Credit card use in a few places.

So I'll be fine with my Aus Visa and M/Card in NZ?