Just back from NYE cruise - Pacific Pearl

We have just got back from 12 night NYE cruise on Pearly. 27th dec - 8th Jan.

We have done quite a few cruises and the last few have been on RCCL. Haven't cruised on PO for a while. As we left it late the choices were limited (unless you wanted to pay a fortune) and as we can only have holidays at this time of the year, Pearly it was. I was a little worried as had read quite a few bad reviews, but I don't take much notice of them, so was looking forward to cruising on Pearl again. We booked (the only cat left) oceanview obstructed view guarantee. There were 4 of us. One couple received an upgrade to a disabled cabin

Biggest bathroom I have ever seen on a ship, and my husband and I were offered a paid upgrade to mini suite the week before sailing. So I can kind of say I had visit from the upgrade fairy, except we had to pay a bit to get it, so not sure if that counts. Lol. . Check in was easy, no probs. room was ready once we got onboard, room was spacious, with all the little perks of a suite, cabin was 11128 deck 11 (directly below the salt grill)

Food was fantastic, the buffet (or pantry as they call it now) still a buffet though was great, had excellent range, (never cold etc, as I had read in some reviews) never had any trouble getting table (95% of the time we were out on the back deck as there were many tables/chairs there, was great sitting out there. The dining room was wonderful as well. They call it anytime dining, but it's not really, we had choice of 5-30( I think, may have been 6, not 100% as never went early) or 8pm. We only went to the dining room a few times as we really enjoyed the buffet area, also went to Luna (Thai or Japanese) different nights for different cuisine, that was awesome, also went to Luke Managans Salt Grill for our anniversary, and we also did the Chefs Table, which was superb. We had done the chefs table on RCCL , they were so different but both excellent.

The entertainment as usual is the best on PO. Was fantastic. I really liked Gemma (the CD) but Will the assistant CD was the best, can see he will be a CD in the near future.

Tendering, can't really comment too much on that, as we had priority tender tickets so we just went off whenever we wanted to.. There were actually quite a few nice little perks in a suite . We received a fresh bowl of fruit daily, dressing gown and slippers, priority tendering, embarking and disembarking, canapés and deserts every 2nd day, a bath that you never use. Lol. ordered brekky to our room for our anniversary and there was n/c so guessing that was because of anniversary, they also put up balloons etc on door and we received a anniversary choc cake..

We had 3 theme nights. Back to school, the great gatsby, Bianco night (white night) white night was the most popular. They sold appropriate things at the shops if you didn't bring anything and wanted to join in.

Internet was a bit expensive. There were 3 packages, I got the big one as my daughter was with us and knew she would use. That was $100 for 250 min. The internet was very fast. Was only supposed to work in public areas but we got it from our room and balcony.

Movies on the big screen on top deck were great, so nice lying on a deck chair watching a movie out in the middle of nowhere.. One night they were screening Grease (with lyrics) so whenever the singing came in the words were on the screen, so everyone was singing away, was great.

Duty free gets delivered to your room if you purchase on the ship but if you purchase from Vila, you need to go and collect the morning of disembarkation, using your colour luggage tags as a guide for times. Another little perk, I forgot about was they delivered our duty free to room (from Vila)

Unfortunately on the way back to sydney we hit bad weather, I have been on many cruises and never, ever , have I been sick, actually prefer it when it rocks around lol. But, this time, I was very sick, am guessing it was because Pearly is a smaller ship and we felt it so much, like a cork bobbing around. Wasn't good. We didn't get back in to sydney until 4 ish, so as you can imagine, many cranky people who missed flights etc.. (Me inc. but that is why we have insurance) and it certainly wasn't PO fault, they can't control the weather, they were great in keeping everyone updated regularly, people that had the drinks package, they could use right up to when they disembarked , they put on heaps of entertainment and shows to keep everyone busy (those who weren't sick, that is and we didn't have to be out of our rooms till after 2.00, which was nice not to have to rush. This would be my first time I actually enjoyed coming into Sydney as it was at a reasonable hour and not early morning. Lol.

Phew, think that's about it. I just wanted to tell you all about our experience as I get so cranky reading bad reviews and people wingeing about their cruise. We had a great time, any cruise is great IMO..if anyone has any questions would be more than happy to answer if I can. Fiona

Edited by tassie cruiser

A terrific review Fiona! Thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear that the Pearl is still going well. We sailed on her a few years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We've just booked our next cruise on Carnival Spirit over Easter, but probably would have gone with P&O if they had a suitable one with space for our teenagers. I plan to sail on the Pearl again one day though. :D

thanks so much for your review. I've just booked my first ever cruise for my hubby and I next month. It's a suprise for him but was getting worried if i'd done the right thing after reading some reviews about pacific pearl. you have put my mind at rest. we are also on deck 11 oceanview. Choose not to have the option for free upgrade as was worried we might get moved to a lower deck. Our fare also covered the soft drink package and $50 credit. i thought 4 days was the best type to start with..see if we get sea sick at all. Could I ask you one question about the water, i've seen quite a few people have said the free water tastes undrinkable, did you find this? I'm trying to work out a budget for what we may like to do and if we will need any extras while onboard. thanks for your help!

Edited by noddynz
spelling

thanks so much for your review. I've just booked my first ever cruise for my hubby and I next month. It's a suprise for him but was getting worried if i'd done the right thing after reading some reviews about pacific pearl. you have put my mind at rest. we are also on deck 11 oceanview. Choose not to have the option for free upgrade as was worried we might get moved to a lower deck. Our fare also covered the soft drink package and $50 credit. i thought 4 days was the best type to start with..see if we get sea sick at all. Could I ask you one question about the water, i've seen quite a few people have said the free water tastes undrinkable, did you find this? I'm trying to work out a budget for what we may like to do and if we will need any extras while onboard. thanks for your help!

Hi there, the water was fine. Drank heaps of it, they have water machine at stations with the crush/cubed ice, my daughter is a little fussy with her water and she loved it, no problems at all. When we were in ports you would see people there filling up their water bottles to take ashore. You have the option of purchasing from your room. It was 3 x 1.5litr for $15 and get 3 x free. The water in your room is also fine to drink. We asked room steward to bring us a bucket of ice daily so we always had ice in room. We also took on heaps of soft drink to put in the fridge.

Did you say you were in ocean view deck 11? Or mini suite? If you were to get an upgrade you would only get suite as deck 11 is the highest in categories. You wouldn't go down in decks. The only small complaint I had with deck 11 was you could hear chairs scraping and people running above you. Fiona

Edited by tassie cruiser

Hi there, the water was fine. Drank heaps of it, they have water machine at stations with the crush/cubed ice, my daughter is a little fussy with her water and she loved it, no problems at all. When we were in ports you would see people there filling up their water bottles to take ashore. You have the option of purchasing from your room. It was 3 x 1.5litr for $15 and get 3 x free. The water in your room is also fine to drink. We asked room steward to bring us a bucket of ice daily so we always had ice in room. We also took on heaps of soft drink to put in the fridge.

Did you say you were in ocean view deck 11? Or mini suite? If you were to get an upgrade you would only get suite as deck 11 is the highest in categories. You wouldn't go down in decks. The only small complaint I had with deck 11 was you could hear chairs scraping and people running above you. Fiona

Fiona I just noticed you were on the NYE sailing of the Pacific dawn in 2009, I was one of the cruise staff on that sailing ! small world :)

I love The Pearl and also loved Gemma and Will (you do know they are an item??:) ). Glad you enjoyed it. The buffet on The Pearl isn't The Pantry. They didn't put The Pantry on The Pearl due to lack of space. We always eat in the dining room and have always loved it. No complaints whatsoever from us.

I love The Pearl and also loved Gemma and Will (you do know they are an item??:) ). Glad you enjoyed it. The buffet on The Pearl isn't The Pantry. They didn't put The Pantry on The Pearl due to lack of space. We always eat in the dining room and have always loved it. No complaints whatsoever from us.

Everyone kept saying "they were together" my daughter thought Will was awesome and had heaps of chats and pics with him, so she asked him straight out 😂 He kind of dodged and weaved around the question, so I really wasn't sure if they were just milking it or what. So, thanks for that, will let her know. Haha.