Child proof balcony door liberty of the seas

merknerk

Hello everyone, We are soon to be going on a cruise on Liberty of the Seas with our family. Fifteen of us. Been planning and saving for a few years and we are all so excited. Our son and his wife and three year old have a balcony room , deck nine. Does anyone know if the balcony locks so he can't open it ? And also I am assuming that the rail is glass. Does anyone know how high. Worried grandma here. :)

Hello everyone, We are soon to be going on a cruise on Liberty of the Seas with our family. Fifteen of us. Been planning and saving for a few years and we are all so excited. Our son and his wife and three year old have a balcony room , deck nine. Does anyone know if the balcony locks so he can't open it ? And also I am assuming that the rail is glass. Does anyone know how high. Worried grandma here. :)

The doors do lock, but not child proof completely. They are pretty hard to open, and if you are in the room, I would be very shocked if you would not know. The railings are probably over the head of a 3 yo.

The balcony door is very heavy, and would be very difficult for a 3-year old to move. However, there is also a child lock high up on the door.

The balcony rail is glass, around 3 feet high, but there are chairs there for climbing, so I would not leave the child there unsupervised.

The only gaurantee that some thing would not happen is to not have a balcony. I know alot of people book balconies with liitle ones. But I never would. You never know what can happen while you are asleep. I know someone that had a three year old at home. When they woke up to the sound of the babyproofed locked front door open. When they went down stairs to investigate the three year old was walking down the middle of the street. So just imagine what could happen with a balcony.

The only gaurantee that some thing would not happen is to not have a balcony. I know alot of people book balconies with liitle ones. But I never would. You never know what can happen while you are asleep. I know someone that had a three year old at home. When they woke up to the sound of the babyproofed locked front door open. When they went down stairs to investigate the three year old was walking down the middle of the street. So just imagine what could happen with a balcony.

There is a child lock high on the side of the sliding door, a 3 year old would not be able to reach it, let alone move the lock to unlock it. Most of those locks, I can't even move, I have to have my DH lock or unlock them. The regular lock at the slider handle is not childproof and is easily opened on most ships, but the door is very hard to slide open.

I would be more concerned about a child opening the door to the corridor.

As far as standing on something on the balcony, rules are set so the child is not allowed on the balcony alone, period. A 3 yr old is able to follow rules, they might not follow them always, but they can be taught.

My three year old nephew might have the strength if not the height, especially once he's seen how the door is operated.

I've seen a suggestion to attach a small jingle bell to the handle or to the door as an alert mechanism, just in case the door is not fully secured.

My three year old nephew might have the strength if not the height, especially once he's seen how the door is operated.

I've seen a suggestion to attach a small jingle bell to the handle or to the door as an alert mechanism, just in case the door is not fully secured.

The child safety lock is on the side of the sliding door at around 6 feet high. If your nephew can reach that at 3, he is extremely tall.

While I don't feel it necessary, they do sell small plastic alarms that you can stick on the door. Can get one for the balcony and one for the cabin door. Again, don't feel you would need it but they're small and cheap and work. We used them at home when the grandkids were young.

I am 6'4 300 pounds and I don't think I could open those doors just using friction on the glass. (i.e. without the lever which is too high for a 3 yo to get the necessary purchase)

Even the cabin door is quite heavy for a 3 yo.

Snarky response not required. Does the lock engage automatically?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, your snarky response was totally uncalled for. If adults have issues opening the sliders, a 3 year old will too. The child locks do not automatically engage, someone has to do it, many times, the cabin steward will do it as part of the nightly turndown of the cabin.

I agree, your snarky response was totally uncalled for. If adults have issues opening the sliders, a 3 year old will too. The child locks do not automatically engage, someone has to do it, many times, the cabin steward will do it as part of the nightly turndown of the cabin.

Thanks for your reply even though Bob already answered the question. By the way, your comment about the height of my nephew was snarky and pedantic. It goes without saying that a three year old can't reach the child lock, but that doesn't matter if the door is already unlocked. I don't know if my nephew could actually open an unlocked door - I doubt that he could although he is closer to four than to three - but based on what I've witnessed I wouldn't put it past him to give it a try in the blink of an eye. If you are convinced otherwise, I will give you the last word.

Watch Youtube videos of balcony cabins. Seeing how hard the adults struggle to open the balcony doors when they go out on the balcony is reassuring.

Remember, those doors have to be strong enough to survive storms at sea--those aren't the normal Pella sliding glass you might have at your house! :) There's a reason only drunk adults go overboard!

We've sailed with DD since she was 2--always with a balcony. She was never out there alone. This year she was 6 & we had a boardwalk balcony. That was the 1st time she could open the door herself (if the child lock was not on).

I was nervous the 1st time, but quickly realized it was not a problem.

One thing you could do (assuming the child will be sleeping on the sofa bed) is to get a cabin where the bed is by the balcony & the sofa is by the closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums