Transfering to another Travel Agency, also changing cruise ship and date.

Jimbo

What is the policy for this:

Reservation was made onboard, that was 6 months ago.

Not happy with original travel agency I transfered the booking too so I got the reservation from the travel agency so now i have control of the booking?

In the mean time we want to switch to another ship and sailing, we know we are going to lose $ 100 per person for making the switch.

So the real question can we now switch the reservation to another travel agency that is going to give me more perks?

Hopefully when I call RCCL myself to change the ship and sale date they let me keep the same reservation number, don't want to lose my current OBC I have on the reservation all ready....

So real question is will RCCL allow me to transfer the reservation to another travel agency.

Anyone every tried this before, if so what was the outcome?

****I did originally move the booking before the 60 days............it's just now I'm not happy with the agency perk's when I'm switching to a cruise/tour which cost 3 times as much as the original booking

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

****I did originally move the booking before the 60 days............it's just now I'm not happy with the agency perk's when I'm switching to a cruise/tour which cost 3 times as much as the original booking

Original booking was mid June 2017

I'm surprised that the original agency was willing to give up the booking. Did you pull the booking because of a service related issue? I've only seen success doing that because the agency was providing sub-par service.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you pulled the booking because the original agency didn't offer you enough perks.

I'm surprised that the original agency was willing to give up the booking. Did you pull the booking because of a service related issue? I've only seen success doing that because the agency was providing sub-par service.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you pulled the booking because the original agency didn't offer you enough perks.

I had booked alot of cruises with the original agency..........when I approached them about switching the cruise from a $ 3000 royal caribbean cruise to a $ 9000 land tour/cruise through royal caribbean. They would make the switch for me, no problem. They were offering only an additional

$100 OBC.

When that is all they offered I started to look elsewhere to see what was available. The offers I got are so much better I had to leave that agency.

I then asked to have the reservation sent back to RCCL. They did it without a fuss. No charge.

When we book at cruise, we know exactly what we want, not any hand holding needed. So have no idea why they could only offer an additional $ 100 OBC........

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

What is the policy for this:

Reservation was made onboard, that was 6 months ago.

Not happy with original travel agency I transfered the booking too so I got the reservation from the travel agency so now i have control of the booking?

In the mean time we want to switch to another ship and sailing, we know we are going to lose $ 100 per person for making the switch.

So the real question can we now switch the reservation to another travel agency that is going to give me more perks?

Hopefully when I call RCCL myself to change the ship and sale date they let me keep the same reservation number, don't want to lose my current OBC I have on the reservation all ready....

So real question is will RCCL allow me to transfer the reservation to another travel agency.

Anyone every tried this before, if so what was the outcome?

Exactly what OBC are you worried about losing? Where did that OBC come from?

Bill

Exactly what OBC are you worried about losing? Where did that OBC come from?

Bill

I have $ 450 on the current reservation on the $3000 cruise? I all ready know going in, it's going to cost $100 a person to change ships and sail date.

. Would like to carry over $ 450..but won't happen if I can't keep the same reservation number.

I don't see what the issue is with RCCL, do they lose anything when they change from one travel agency to another? what's their issue with allowing the switch?

Jimbo :)

Edited by Jimbo

I had booked alot of cruises with the original agency..........when I approached them about switching the cruise from a $ 3000 royal caribbean cruise to a $ 9000 land tour/cruise through royal caribbean. They would make the switch for me, no problem. They were offering only an additional

$100 OBC.

When that is all they offered I started to look elsewhere to see what was available. The offers I got are so much better I had to leave that agency.

I then asked to have the reservation sent back to RCCL. They did it without a fuss. No charge.

When we book at cruise, we know exactly what we want, not any hand holding needed. So have no idea why they could only offer an additional $ 100 OBC........

Because it is illegal for a travel agent to rebate his/her commission just because you're spending more. The agencies that do this are playing the system and getting away with it - for now. But, doing so could possibly cost them the right to sell that particular cruise line OR their license to sell travel at all. Just something to keep in mind for the future: the agencies who do this are knowingly breaking the rules set forth by the cruise lines. It may speak to their lack of integrity, service levels and desperation to get business.

Do you want to pay your current TA their commission for transferring your reservation to a new agent? It would be unfair to the travel agent handling your booking to lose their commission especially since its past the 60 day mark? How do you see making it whole with the agency you are not happy with?

Then you transfer it to a new agency perhaps losing some benefits the old agency reserves the right to refuse to release the reservation unless you can give a valid reason like you were overcharged. First I would see if the agency you currently have would be able to match a better deal?

They put these limits in place so you can't just keep switching agencies left and right. Unless some egregious act took place then after 60 days its very rare that an agency would release the reservation for a new one to accept it. A conflict of interest!

When Royal offers Cruise for $200..............meaning Royal Is expecting $ 150 in return..............So why in the heck would Royal care what happens with the other $ 50.....the seller can do whatever they want with it..........give it back to the buyer anyway he/she sees fit. All/ nothing or what ever percentage he/she sees fit.

When Royal offers Cruise for $200..............meaning Royal Is expecting $ 150 in return..............So why in the heck would Royal care what happens with the other $ 50.....the seller can do whatever they want with it..........give it back to the buyer anyway he/she sees fit. All/ nothing or what ever percentage he/she sees fit.

No. They can't. That's part of an agency's contract with the lines. They can give you additional gifts, purchase on board credit for you, etc. BUT commission rebating is against the rules.

Here are the consequences as outlined by RCCL:

Q: If the policy is violated, what actions will be taken?

A: Currently violators of the Rebating Policy are subject to a variety of

consequences, including, but not limited to, the elimination of co-op

support and/or the lowering of base commission and/or variable

volume commissions. Ultimately a failure to comply with the policy may

result in an account being placed on no-book status or termination of

the relationship with the account. The specific enforcement actions

taken and the timing thereof are matters that the Cruise Lines will

unilaterally determine without consultation or discussion with other travel

agencies.

Do you want to pay your current TA their commission for transferring your reservation to a new agent? It would be unfair to the travel agent handling your booking to lose their commission especially since its past the 60 day mark? How do you see making it whole with the agency you are not happy with?

Then you transfer it to a new agency perhaps losing some benefits the old agency reserves the right to refuse to release the reservation unless you can give a valid reason like you were overcharged. First I would see if the agency you currently have would be able to match a better deal?

They put these limits in place so you can't just keep switching agencies left and right. Unless some egregious act took place then after 60 days its very rare that an agency would release the reservation for a new one to accept it. A conflict of interest!

Original agency all ready released it back to Royal for me..........what they refused to do is share some of the extra money I was paying them to book the higher tour/cruise?

How is that fair to me? as far as them matching, they were not giving me anything over $ 100.........It was a losing battle with them.

No. They can't. That's part of an agency's contract with the lines. They can give you additional gifts, purchase on board credit for you, etc. BUT commission rebating is against the rules.

Here are the consequences as outlined by RCCL:

Q: If the policy is violated, what actions will be taken?

A: Currently violators of the Rebating Policy are subject to a variety of

consequences, including, but not limited to, the elimination of co-op

support and/or the lowering of base commission and/or variable

volume commissions. Ultimately a failure to comply with the policy may

result in an account being placed on no-book status or termination of

the relationship with the account. The specific enforcement actions

taken and the timing thereof are matters that the Cruise Lines will

unilaterally determine without consultation or discussion with other travel

agencies.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Jimbo
cause i can

Original agency all ready released it back to Royal for me..........what they refused to do is share some of the extra money I was paying them to book the higher tour/cruise?

How is that fair to me? as far as them matching, they were not giving me anything over $ 100.........It was a losing battle with them.

You're welcome to do whatever you want. I've edited my response above with RCCL's exact wording on the consequences of commission rebating. So, if something happens with the new agency, don't say you weren't warned.

Who said what form the $ 1100 would be in? I never said commission

They're not pulling that $1100 out of thin air. Whether they put it in the form of a gift card, cash or anything else, they are still giving you part of their commission. They're just being "creative" in how they do so. As I said, you're still welcome to do it. Lots of people do. If I call ten different companies to get a quote on a new roof for my house, and one company comes in 40% lower than the other nine, I can easily go with that company. And, as long as I don't expect any rain, snow or wind where I live, I probably would.

Making it whole with the original travel agency is not a problem, I have booked over 10 cruises with them and had friends and family book with them. Believe me they have made alot of money off of me with all the bokings they got from me.

So what percentage rate do you give your clients when they book a cruise with you?

That percentage is outlined by the individual cruise lines. We don't decide on it. The same commission is built into EVERY reservation to allow for fair trade. If you book directly with the cruise line, they just keep it. I CAN tell you that offering someone $1100 on a $9000 spend is pretty much working for free.

But, since we're asking: how much do you make annually? Do you work for free if you really like someone? Would you mind selling me that new car for less than you paid for it?

Edited by payitforward
  • Haha 2

I have $ 450 on the current reservation on the $3000 cruise? I all ready know going in, it's going to cost $100 a person to change ships and sail date.

. Would like to carry over $ 450..but won't happen if I can't keep the same reservation number.

I don't see what the issue is with RCCL, do they lose anything when they change from one travel agency to another? what's their issue with allowing the switch?

Pretty sure if you switch ships you will lose that OBC even if you were to keep the same booking number if that OBC was for some sort of promotion that was running when you booked.

Bill

Pretty sure if you switch ships you will lose that OBC even if you were to keep the same booking number if that OBC was for some sort of promotion that was running when you booked.

Bill

I believe I might lose only a $ 100 of it.

$200 was for booking onboard, $ 150 was for Good Will for an issue we had on a prior sailing.

other $ 100 was tied to just that sailing I believe.

So carryover would be $ 350 if we can keep the same reservation number.

That percentage is outlined by the individual cruise lines. We don't decide on it. The same commission is built into EVERY reservation to allow for fair trade. If you book directly with the cruise line, they just keep it. I CAN tell you that offering someone $1100 on a $9000 spend is pretty much working for free.

But, since we're asking: how much do you make annually? Do you work for free if you really like someone? Would you mind selling me that new car for less than you paid for it?

So you are telling me a cruise agency that sells 5000 cruises a year and one that sells 10 cruises a year for Royal Caribbean work off the same commission rate?

I think not....................... and that is why different agencies can give out different amounts and still make a living. If every agency gave out the same amount...all cruise agencies could work under one name.

• Like 1

I believe I might lose only a $ 100 of it.

$200 was for booking onboard, $ 150 was for Good Will for an issue we had on a prior sailing.

other $ 100 was tied to just that sailing I believe.

So carryover would be $ 350 if we can keep the same reservation number.

I believe you are correct. That's why I asked where the OBC came from originally.

Good Luck to you. You shouldn't have any issues.

Bill

I believe you are correct. That's why I asked where the OBC came from originally.

Good Luck to you. You shouldn't have any issues.

Bill

Issue is transfering the reservation to a second travel agency becaused the first one refused to give more then $ 100 OBC for a cruise worth 3 times what the original cruise was worth.

So you are telling me a cruise agency that sells 5000 cruises a year and one that sells 10 cruises a year for Royal Caribbean work off the same commission rate? I think not....................... and that is why different agencies can give out different amounts and still make a living. If every agency gave out the same amount...all cruise agencies could work under one name. Jimbo:)

They get the same commission amount per booking, but the huge consortia probably get huge volume incentives at the end of the year. They hire call takers who make minimum wage as opposed to educated, professional travel planners who work on commission. They can afford to rebate all of their commission because 1.) Their call takers make very little money. 2.) They make their money on quantity versus quality. 3.) Their goal is to put all other agencies out of business.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do or not do. I am simply telling you that the agency you have come to trust would have literally lost money on your booking had they given you $1100.00 in OBC. Don't blame them for the way the system is set up. It's not that they were trying to be difficult. It's that they were working with what they have been given.

I have used the same mechanic for more than 25 years now. Are there times when I might find a lower price on a particular job somewhere else? I'm sure there are. But, I trust him explicitly and you can't put a price on that.