Please explain the difference.. Unlimited social media wifi or unlimted wifi ?

missemo12345

Looking to purchase but alittle confused could a past cruiser please explain?

Is the social media just face book? But you would need wifi to access correct?

The price is lower for the social media plan. I am thinking of checking in with our family at home so would we instant message through face book?

Thank you

The different plans are new this week, so we are just speculating. My guess is that with the social media plan you can get to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. The other will allow access to the entire Internet. If you can get to FB, then you can use FB messenger.

The Unlimited Social Media Wifi package gives you access to majority of social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, etc.). The package allows you to view, post and upload videos on social media and also chat on all popular messenger platforms. Save up to 15% when you book online.

The Unlimited Wifi package gives you access to unlimited websurfing, email access, social media access, all apps. This package does not allow streaming. Save up to 15% when you book online.

The Unlimited Premium Wifi package gives you access to unlimited websurfing, email access, social media access, all apps. The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Neflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu etc. Save up to 15% when you book online.

I am anxious to hear if iMessaging works with the basic type - the Unlimited Social Media package. Looking forward to feedback the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, iMessaging worked for me on the Getaway a few weeks ago with the Social Media package. I was able to use fb, snapchat and fb messaging with little to no trouble. My only issue was sometimes it would disconnect and I had to log in again. Other than that it was well worth the money for me to have some connection with my 14yr old at home

Yes, iMessaging worked for me on the Getaway a few weeks ago with the Social Media package. I was able to use fb, snapchat and fb messaging with little to no trouble. My only issue was sometimes it would disconnect and I had to log in again. Other than that it was well worth the money for me to have some connection with my 14yr old at home

Does anyone know if Whatsapp works with the Social Media package? We have the 250 free offer so I want to see if we can upgrade to the unlimited package when we board. If not, I will purchase the SM package.

Carnival only charges $5 a day for the SM package.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Whatsapp works with the Social Media package? We have the 250 free offer so I want to see if we can upgrade to the unlimited package when we board. If not, I will purchase the SM package.

Carnival only charges $5 a day for the SM package.

That I do not know. I don’t use the WhatsApp. Possibly you could contact NCL to find out what specific ones are included???

The Unlimited Social Media Wifi package gives you access to majority of social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, etc.). The package allows you to view, post and upload videos on social media and also chat on all popular messenger platforms. Save up to 15% when you book online.

The Unlimited Wifi package gives you access to unlimited websurfing, email access, social media access, all apps. This package does not allow streaming. Save up to 15% when you book online.

The Unlimited Premium Wifi package gives you access to unlimited websurfing, email access, social media access, all apps. The package also gives you streaming options via YouTube, Neflix, Amazon Prime Video, Audible, Hulu etc. Save up to 15% when you book online.

Thanks BirdTravels: Your clear and concise post should be a sticky for the barrage of constant questions about internet service on NCL!

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I was wondering about imessage. On Dawn next week and willing to spend 87.50 for that! And Facebook;);):)

I just logged in to my reservation to check out the options. My first NCL cruise is 4/22, Star 14 night TA. Spending 3 nights in Barcelona and boarding Carnival Horizon for another 14 nights, westbound.

Carnival's Social Media package is normally $5/day; but was $4/day when pre-purchased, so $56 for the 2-week cruise.

NCL wants $175 for the same thing. :eek:

Ouch. Guess I'll just do without until we arrive in Barcelona. Our Airbnb has wi-fi, so I'll just get caught up then.

I wish NCL would just 100% get rid of the internet on the ships and invest that money elsewhere. Please spare me the "but I HAVE TO be online while I cruise BS", no you don't.

My husband and kids will be staying at home while I’m on my cruise, and I won’t even consider not having contact with them. I plan on buying the social media plan, and we’ll use Facebook messaging to stay in touch. Easier than messing with trying to change my cell phone plan.

I’m on the Epic TA now. I traded in my 250 minute plan for the premium unlimited wifi plan. For 15-days it still costs about $300 with the $120 credit for the trade in. Haven’t been able to stream any video, though. Works fine, otherwise.

I’m on the Epic TA now. I traded in my 250 minute plan for the premium unlimited wifi plan. For 15-days it still costs about $300 with the $120 credit for the trade in. Haven’t been able to stream any video, though. Works fine, otherwise.

Correction to my last, just tried Netflix and now it’s streaming fine. So back to the bar.

Correction to my last, just tried Netflix and now it’s streaming fine. So back to the bar.

Could you please tell us how is the streaming quality when at open ocean on a TA; are you able to watch a movie from Netflix? Is there any way to stream movies from the iPad to the TV or to watch over the app directly on the TV? Sorry so many questions, but we are not savvy at all on the matter.Thank you in advance for your kindness and time to answer!

I wish NCL would just 100% get rid of the internet on the ships and invest that money elsewhere. Please spare me the "but I HAVE TO be online while I cruise BS", no you don't.

Ever wonder if NCL were the only line to not have WiFi how much business they would lose to other lines?

Only one person can be connected to an account at any one time, so if you each want to be connected simultaneously, you have to have two accounts.

Carnac767,

Could you please tell us how is the streaming quality when at open ocean on a TA; are you able to watch a movie from Netflix? Is there any way to stream movies from the iPad to the TV or to watch over the app directly on the TV? Sorry so many questions, but we are not savvy at all on the matter.Thank you in advance for your kindness and time to answer!

Edited by twopizz
misspelling

We have a Samsung in our suite on the Epic with a couple of spare HDMI inputs. Smarter people than me can explain the problems exporting Netflix, Hulu, etc from your IOS device via a lightning to hdmi adapter. If you bring an apple tv or amazon fire tv device, you could plug it into an hdmi port on the tv and sign your apple/amazon device into the ship’s network and use netflix that way. Netflix streaming has been good across the ocean, though I’ve usually just been checking now and then. Too much other things going on around the ship. Also, all the same movies recently released to pay-per-view are available for free in your room. At least they’re free in the Haven suites. Don’t know about other cabins.

We have a Samsung in our suite on the Epic with a couple of spare HDMI inputs. Smarter people than me can explain the problems exporting Netflix, Hulu, etc from your IOS device via a lightning to hdmi adapter. If you bring an apple tv or amazon fire tv device, you could plug it into an hdmi port on the tv and sign your apple/amazon device into the ship’s network and use netflix that way. Netflix streaming has been good across the ocean, though I’ve usually just been checking now and then. Too much other things going on around the ship. Also, all the same movies recently released to pay-per-view are available for free in your room. At least they’re free in the Haven suites. Don’t know about other cabins.

Carnac767, thank you for your replay! I will try to find out how to export from iPad to TV! Again thank you for your time!

I read this and now I am truly confused. So, the SM web package is $15 per day.....but through AT&T I can get an international cruise package for $50 for a month. Why wouldn't I just get the AT&T package? NCL seems silly to charge so much.