Harvest Caye - Highlight of Our Trip

seanandstefIRL

Just wanted to share:

My husband and I just got off the Getaway last week and we had a blast. This was our 4th Getaway trip and we absolutely love everything about the ship. The biggest surprise of the trip was Harvest Caye. This was our first time to HC and I didn't have high expectations based on reviews and readings but we had the absolute BEST day. We booked the parasailing and ziplining excursions and both were wonderful. Parasailing was breathtaking and I would recommend that to anyone. Parasailing was really easy to do (this was our first time) and the guys running the excursion were super friendly and very professional. The zipline adventure was equal parts challenging, terrifying and fun. Definitely not for the faint of heart but worth every penny.

We are travel vloggers and this trip to Harvest Caye was amazing. Everything about the day just kept getting better and better. You can check out a video review of the entire day here:

Can't wait to go back!! :D

Harvest Caye was a beautiful port, and huge! I regret booking the excursion I booked - the Mangrove Estuary wildlife tour, but the port was wonderful. I wish I’d just stayed on port! Huge beaches, plenty of free loungers, swim up bar and pool, and beautifully landscaped. I didn’t get to try the zip line or parasailing because I had the other excursion, but they sure looked fun! (I watched other people try them from the beach.) But I recommend skipping the excursion I took. Didn’t see the manatees that were advertised, and actually only saw birds and jellyfish. That was a big disappointment, but I’d love to return to Harvest Caye and stay on port next time!

Just wanted to share:

My husband and I just got off the Getaway last week and we had a blast. This was our 4th Getaway trip and we absolutely love everything about the ship. The biggest surprise of the trip was Harvest Caye. This was our first time to HC and I didn't have high expectations based on reviews and readings but we had the absolute BEST day. We booked the parasailing and ziplining excursions and both were wonderful. Parasailing was breathtaking and I would recommend that to anyone. Parasailing was really easy to do (this was our first time) and the guys running the excursion were super friendly and very professional. The zipline adventure was equal parts challenging, terrifying and fun. Definitely not for the faint of heart but worth every penny.

We are travel vloggers and this trip to Harvest Caye was amazing. Everything about the day just kept getting better and better. You can check out a video review of the entire day here:

Thank you for your post on Harvest Caye.

How long did it take in total to do both things? I have read both take up good deal of time.

Thank you for your post on Harvest Caye.

How long did it take in total to do both things? I have read both take up good deal of time.

The parasailing was about an hour. You are in the air about 10 min and it takes about an hour to get everyone in the air. The zipling took about 1.5 hours. I think our zipling took a little longer because it was very windy and people were having difficulty getting across one of the lines. We waited in the main lighthouse for about 25-30 minutes on the first run just waiting for everyone to get across. The last "superman" line is the quickest and easiest but the first set of lines are challenging.

We scheduled the 2 tours at the beginning (parasailing) and end of our day (ziplining) to allow for the most time possible. If I were to do all over again, I probably would have scheduled the zipling first and then finished up with parasailing.

HC is beautiful and a great port. IMO the best thing about HC are the workers. Everyone I interacted with were kind, friendly and fun to chat with.

We completely agree with you. The Belizean staff members we encountered were over and above friendly. Having great staff made the port even better than we imagined. They even said goodbye to us by name (after showing our ship cards that is ;)) and that was a great way to end a perfect day.

Just wanted to share:

Love your vids..just started following last week...you guys are fun to follow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the video! Looks wonderful. ;) We will be on this same itinerary in 3 weeks and have been considering parasailing with our kids so I'm so glad you posted this. Definitely going to have to check this out.

Thanks for the video! Looks wonderful. ;) We will be on this same itinerary in 3 weeks and have been considering parasailing with our kids so I'm so glad you posted this. Definitely going to have to check this out.

Yay for parasailing. It is so much fun! Have a great time!

The parasailing was about an hour. You are in the air about 10 min and it takes about an hour to get everyone in the air. The zipling took about 1.5 hours. I think our zipling took a little longer because it was very windy and people were having difficulty getting across one of the lines. We waited in the main lighthouse for about 25-30 minutes on the first run just waiting for everyone to get across. The last "superman" line is the quickest and easiest but the first set of lines are challenging.

We scheduled the 2 tours at the beginning (parasailing) and end of our day (ziplining) to allow for the most time possible. If I were to do all over again, I probably would have scheduled the zipling first and then finished up with parasailing.

Thank you for the information. We will be there in June and still cannot decide what we should do.

We walked around HC then got right back on the ship after we found out that we would be charged extra to actually go to Belize on a tender (after already being charged port fees) with no excursion.

HC isn't Belize. HC is a private dock for NCL in Belize waters. NCL paid the government of Belize to build it.

Imagine if all the cruise ports put up locked gates and barred you from actually leaving the cruise port unless you paid an additional fee to the cruise line. That is what HC is, you are trapped in an NCL property unless you pay more to leave it to spend money with actual citizens from Belize.

All the complaining about how NCL nickle and dimes, but HC gets a pass and it is the worst possible example. I vote with my wallet when stuck visiting Harvest Cay and stay on the ship.

We walked around HC then got right back on the ship after we found out that we would be charged extra to actually go to Belize on a tender (after already being charged port fees) with no excursion.

HC isn't Belize. HC is a private dock for NCL in Belize waters. NCL paid the government of Belize to build it.

Imagine if all the cruise ports put up locked gates and barred you from actually leaving the cruise port unless you paid an additional fee to the cruise line. That is what HC is, you are trapped in an NCL property unless you pay more to leave it to spend money with actual citizens from Belize.

Harvest Caye is a pretty nice place to be "trapped". It was your choice to return to the ship after your walk around. You could have enjoyed the beautiful pool and used one of the many free loungers either pool or beach side without spending any $$. You could have done what many people do and carried drinks off the ship to enjoy ashore and returned to the ship for lunch.

I've been to the "real" Belize three times and did the Lamanai Mayan Ruins and New River boat excursion each time because it was so special. We're happy we had that experience but are looking forward to being on Harvest Caye in two weeks. We'll even spend some of our own money without feeling nickeled and dimed.

PS to original thread starter ..... we enjoyed your video.

Harvest Caye is an absolutely beautiful island.

Loved the pool, beach, activities. The locals are friendly and helpful.

Second visit there and it makes for a wonderful relaxing day.

If you don’t want to spend any money on food or drinks it is a 5-10 minute walk back to the ship.

The only thing that can ruin it is the weather and I was lucky both times, looking forward to another visit there next year.

Love all of your videos! Going to check out your newest one right now. At first our plans were going to be rent a private villa, but we since decided to just enjoy all the island as to offer pool, beach wise. Thanks so much for posting!

Thanks so much for watching! Either way you will have a great time. The villas looked amazing but the pool is also amazing. The villas are quite the distance from the pool so if you are planning lots of pool time, I think you are making a great decision. Enjoy your cruise! :D

Harvest Caye was a beautiful port, and huge! I regret booking the excursion I booked - the Mangrove Estuary wildlife tour, but the port was wonderful. But I recommend skipping the excursion I took. Didn’t see the manatees that were advertised, and actually only saw birds and jellyfish. That was a big disappointment, but I’d love to return to Harvest Caye and stay on port next time!

Here is a big heads up to anyone booking a tour promising manatees between November and April: Manatees are not in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico waters because the water becomes too cold for them.

The manatees are along the Florida gulf coast in the various springs in the area.

I remember taking one snorkeling excursion in Belize that included a stop in a manatee "research" facility. I knew better than to expect to see manatees but really had a good laugh at all the displays. All the specimens and pictures were from the Florida gulf coast (including several that were taken 2 - 10 miles from my house).