Disembarkation time?

DevonianCruiser

Hi

We are sailing from Southampton 31st August and our cruise disembarks in Citivecchia (Rome) mid September. We can get a flight from Fiumicino at 10.10am. We’re going to hire a private shuttle which says 50 mins transfer time. But to be cautious we’ll say over an hour and although we’ll have checked in online before again to be cautious we’ll say 2 hours at the airport.

Is it realistic to be able to get off the ship by 7am? Cunard told us 8am to be safe but most cruises I’ve ever been on you can get off at 6 to 6.30am. I think maybe once there was a problem with the port officials in Athens and we were delayed slightly.

I would not risk it. There are all sorts of reasons why the ship might be delayed and the officials at the port may not be available that early to clear the ship for disembarkation. Then you may hit traffic.....I’d choose a later flight.

There is no way you will comfortably make that 10.10am flight . This is Italy ! and the Airports there are a complete shambles and often in chaos.

September is still the holiday season and you'll be subject to long lines for everything. Even though you may have checked- in on line, you'll still have to join a queue at the baggage drop to have your luggage tagged and to drop it off. You'll be joining another long line to get through airport security ( shoes, belts, jackets etc ) and another at the passport exit control.

Finally you may be subject to a 'long hike to the departure gate' ( often using the mono rail )

And we haven't even built in the factor if the ship 'arrives on time', officials are on hand to clear the ship, or the morning commuter traffic .:eek:

Are there any flight options from Ciampino?

I've used the rail system in Italy a lot & found it to be great, so that could be an option if you wanted to look at other cities & airports, but I know that doesn't appeal to everyone.

If none of these work out, hopefully your time allows for spending a night in Rome, there are worse places to be than the Eternal City!

Hope you get something sorted out.