Nieuw Statendam-help choosing a Verandah cabin

surgie

I have a hold on two cabins for August 2019 HAL Northern Isles cruise: (Amsterdam>England>Scotland>Iceland>Norway>Amsterdam).

Both cabins are in the Verandah category (VA6100 port side and VA 7107 starboard side)

Both have an oversize balcony since they are adjacent to the "hump".

Neither is a connecting room and both decks have cabins above and below them (as opposed to the pool, etc.)

Any reason to choose one over the other? I have researched which ship side is better for the ports we are visiting but results are inconclusive.

I think either would be great.

We were in the same type of cabin on the Koningsdam and loved the extended balcony.

I don't know if this is true, but I have heard it said that the best cabin stewards are used to service the Neptune Suites, and the deck 7 cabin is next to the Neptune Suites, and therefore you may have extra good service. Again, I have only heard that said.

No matter which you choose, have a great cruise.

Thanks for the info. I really wanted to do a Vista Suite but I can't get past the room layout - really don't like the bed nearest the balcony door rather than the sofa. So the Verandah with extended balcony seems like a good compromise. Did the balcony have shade? - we don't like a totally sunny balcony.

We found the balcony was great, because you could pull your chairs close to the rail if you wanted to be in the sun, or back close to the cabin if you wanted shade or to get out of the rain. We were in cabin 5113 on a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. We loved the cabin and the location midship. It was such a handy location to many things.

The only thing we would have liked better, was lounge chairs on the balcony. There is tons of room for them, but you will only have the same 2 chairs, 1 footrest and a small table that any other balcony gets.

I have a hold on two cabins for August 2019 HAL Northern Isles cruise: (Amsterdam>England>Scotland>Iceland>Norway>Amsterdam).

Both cabins are in the Verandah category (VA6100 port side and VA 7107 starboard side)

Both have an oversize balcony since they are adjacent to the "hump".

Neither is a connecting room and both decks have cabins above and below them (as opposed to the pool, etc.)

Any reason to choose one over the other? I have researched which ship side is better for the ports we are visiting but results are inconclusive.

Please come join our roll call for this cruise

Yes, thanks I will join the roll call once the final decision on this cruise is made. We were also looking at Princess in the same time frame but it goes to Iceland (4 ports) and Norway (5 ports). We have not been to either country but we also have not been to Amsterdam or Scotland so the HAL itinerary is pulling at us...

We just booked V8080 for next June's Voyage of the Midnight Sun, a cabin identical to V6100. We prefer to be at the front of the hump looking forward than at the back of the hump looking aft, which would be the case with V7107.

Having sailed on the Koningsdam in a Vista Suite, as well as in other cabins on other ships with the bed by the balcony, we much prefer this configuration. It provides more room near the closets and bathroom when we are dressing in the morning or for dinner.

All totally subjective, of course, and I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever cabin you choose.:)

Thank you Fouremco. It was suggested to me that being on the front of the hump (6100) would be windier than being at the back of the hump. Have yo found this to be true? Or dependent on the itinerary?

Thank you Fouremco. It was suggested to me that being on the front of the hump (6100) would be windier than being at the back of the hump. Have yo found this to be true? Or dependent on the itinerary?

You could get a bit more wind (I've not tried a back-of-hump cabin to make a comparison) if you are standing at your balcony railing, but the divider between your balcony and that of your neighbour provide a good wind break when you are away from the railing. I suspect that local winds, from whatever angle, would be a greater factor than the ship's forward speed.