Buying cigarettes in France, Spain or Portugal?

jimmyisgod

Hi, we're visiting France, Spain and Portugal in March/April on the Ventura, and want to buy some cigarettes to take back to the UK for our daughter (dirty habit I know, but she can't stop).

Where is the cheapest country to buy them, and are the prices the same in each shop (ie government controlled) or should we shop around.

And how do prices compare to buying on the ship?

Any idea of the price of 200 B&H?

Thanks in anticipation

JiG

hi jimmyisgod welcome to the forum.if you are going to the med i would wait till you call at gibralta for your cigys,thats if the ship is going to stop there.last year in gib 200 b&h were only about £15.00 i think and if you rolled your own 5,50gramm pouches were about £10.00.i think if you buy them in europe they are cheaper than at home as you are paying the tax on them from that particular country.but you are restricted to your duty free alowance from gib.hope this helps ..happy sailing..humpy

I'm not a smoker, but on one cruise noticed a lot of people buying cigarettes and alcohol in Gibraltar. The spirits were certainly the cheapest prices I'd seen.

It was our last port of call so we never bothered buying.

We always go to the El Corte supermarkets in Spain where they have some excellent offers -plus some good priced Riojas.

We once saw a couple on arrival at Southampton being relieved of their many cartons of cigarettes by customs officers.

Caryl

Hi Jimmy

I haven't been to Portugal for a few years, but they were about the same as Spain in 2004. Spain was certainly cheaper than France in 2008.

In Spain, the cheapest prices will be at the licensed shops with brownish/purple sign and a license number. Not sure there is an equivalent system in Portugal. Because the minimum prices are controlled in Spain they often give you gifts for buying various brands. I've had free whiskey, vodka, radios, bags, lighters and even a free jacket in one shop.

Duty paid cigarettes within the EU are more expensive than duty free in the likes of Gib or the Canaries, but you can bring 3200 of EU duty paid per adult for personal consumption or gifts. You should not sell them (even to your daughter) otherwise the Customs will treat it as smuggling.

Happy Cruising

Hi, we're visiting France, Spain and Portugal in March/April on the Ventura, and want to buy some cigarettes to take back to the UK for our daughter (dirty habit I know, but she can't stop).

Where is the cheapest country to buy them, and are the prices the same in each shop (ie government controlled) or should we shop around.

And how do prices compare to buying on the ship?

Any idea of the price of 200 B&H?

Thanks in anticipation

JiG

Have just returned from a short break in spain, I don't smoke but noticed the prices for British Brands were in the region of 30 euros and spanish brands about 18 to 20. Franch is in the region of 38 to 40 euros

They are called Tabacs.

David.

They are actually 'Estancos' in Spain. Tabacs are in France

Here is the sign to look for

estanco.jpg

These are the only places (apart from machines) that are allowed to sell cigarettes in Spain.

You might find it difficult to find British brands like B&H. Even if you do they will be a lot more expensive. To get the best value, try a Spanish brand. Most are not that different to English brands.

I quit smoking last year but before I did I used to smoke a brand called Fortuna (Blue is the lighter version). These are quite similar to English cigarettes.

The cost per carton (200) is currently about €26-27 due to a recent price rise.

Hi we were at portugal and spain last october and the cigarettes were a lot cheaper in spain. we found a small shop in vigo and i think 200 mayfair about 35 euros i think, definately cheaper than lisbon. we're going on the ventura next week and will stock up on cigarettes in spain. The only thing was a bit after we had bought ours we met a couple who said the shop we used had closed as it was sold out.Hope that helps.

Archived