Cruisers who like to read...

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:52 AM.
Leander TX
1,905 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
I have an iPad so I have all the readers (Kindle, Nook, iBook etc. and have over 300 books downloaded.

I’m a huge Clive Cussler fan- if you haven’t read any of his books, I highly recommend them!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Vista Family Cruise - Jun 15/2019
Carnival Breeze - Sep 17/17 My Review https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2552201
Carnival Magic - Oct 2014 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2127532
Carnival Paradise - Jul 2012 My Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674471
Carnival Sensation - Feb 2010
Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2008
Carnival Inspiration - Aug 1998
Big Red Boat - Feb 1996
Carnival Carnivale - Mar 1988
Long Island,NY
4,109 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by ariesknowbest
Hello Fellow Cruisers:

I am an avid reader and cruiser. I would like to know if you are too...............

I am an author and although I love to read my writings I would never do so on a cruise .Therefore ,I bring books written by friends .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
Saskatoon, SK
244 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by LRnascarfan
I work at a high school and I am always in the library checking out books. I just read To Kill A Mockingbird about 4 years ago and was so good!! I really enjoyed it.
You will have to read "Go Set A Watchman" by Harper Lee if you enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout is a 20 something woman who returns to her home town to find the people she loved and grew up with have changed. Apparently, Harper Lee wrote this manuscript first, but it was rejected and To Kill A Mockingbird was accepted by the publishers. Harper Lee, herself, has an interesting life story.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess: Western Caribbean, January 2008
Crown Princess: Eastern Caribbean, January 2009
Grand Princess: Alaska Northbound June 2015
Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal w Costa Rica and Caribbean April 2018
1,898 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by champagne123
I think I am the only one in the world that HATES the Harry Potter books. I'm sooooooo alone.
No you're not! LOL. I liked the first four, but the last ones were just too tedious. It was like Rowling was being paid by the word. I actually gave my entire series away, and I hardly EVER give books away.

I have so many books it's ridiculous. I hardly ever read fiction except when I travel, so I can leave the books behind at the hotel or on the ship. Otherwise it's mostly books on World War II. I reread the Little House series every couple of years, I guess those count as historical fiction.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
BeagleOne

Stella Maris 8/74; QE2 Transatlantic 7/75, 8/82, 7/00, 7/01; Fairwind 4/79; Volendam 8/80; QE2 Caribbean 1/84; Zuiderdam 2/05; Maasdam 2/07; Emerald Princess 3-4/08, Maasdam 4/12 YAY!!!
Saskatoon, SK
244 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
If you are looking for historical fiction, Pauline Gedge is a writer out of Alberta, Canada. She has written historical fiction novels for a number of years about actual Egyptian royalty when Egypt was in its heyday!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Grand Princess: Western Caribbean, January 2008
Crown Princess: Eastern Caribbean, January 2009
Grand Princess: Alaska Northbound June 2015
Caribbean Princess: Panama Canal w Costa Rica and Caribbean April 2018
Connecticut
13,714 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
If you are interested in reading as an exposure to wonderful use of the English language, as well as enjoyable fantasy fiction, you should read Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy --- preceded by the Hobbit - perhaps the best use of clean, clear basic English vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure anywhere. Someone who is seriously interested in writing in English should look to these works to see how it should be done
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (12), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1)
Texas
218 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
[quote=Shaded Lady;55457404]I have an iPad so I have all the readers (Kindle, Nook, iBook etc. and have over 300 books downloaded.

I’m a huge Clive Cussler fan- if you haven’t read any of his books, I highly recommend them!

Cussler, James Rollins and James Patterson.
Go Dirk Pitt.
Sydney, Australia
8,658 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My Kindle is always well stocked with books on a cruise, as is DH's although he can be just as happy reading one book (James Joyce's Ulysses). We both love reading and enjoy sitting somewhere peaceful where we can look out to sea when we want a rest from reading. The Kindle has made travel so much easier for me. I'm a speed reader and am so happy that I no longer have to lug half a suitcase of paper books around with me when travelling. I always pack a spare Kindle though.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Church Point AKA Cajun Country
10,832 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
I grew up loving books especially since my mother was our town librarian way back in the 60s, early 70s. I remember her telling me that books are meant to be read and not to be gathering dust on a shelf.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rosemarie
New Hampshire
3,046 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
I have read c. thirty books written by Alexander McCall Smith. Me darling wife and I particularly enjoy his "Number One Ladies Detective" series.

Our community has a free book swap at the local transfer station (i.e. the town dump). I take several books with me including Tom Clancy novels and leave them in the ship's library when finished. Speaking of ship's libraries, they can be hit or miss. I am an old guy who still prefers real books, although me darling wife swears by her Kindle. On our Coral Princess cruise last fall, they had a well-stocked library. Last month we were on the Caribbean Princess and their library had deteriorated to next to nothing. The space had pretty much been taken over by the Internet Cafe. It is all about the $$$, the Internet Cafe makes money and the library doesn't.
Northern California
3,465 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
I've always loved to read. Several years ago, I switched over to a Kindle. It was either that or buy more bookcases. Love the Kindle! When we travel, I load it up with several new books, since one never knows when any given book might turn out to be a dud.
Pa, NJ
19,412 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I usually load a few books on my kindle and much of my day while at sea is spent in Celebrity's Solarium. I can read, swim and eat in this room which is on all of the Celebrity ships.. Added benefit is it is inside and I am a Melanoma patient so avoid the sun like the plague.

I have read all the books in Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Interesting story about a British officer who came up through the ranks in the Napoleonic Wars. Most officers in the British military bought their commissions so coming up through the ranks was rare. Cornwells has also done series on the American Civil War and other eras in English history.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Don

Sgt Michael Johnson
Vermont State Police
EOW 6/15/03
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,780 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
I'm a lifelong reader and love to read on cruises as well. I do like 'real' books better, but read quite a bit on my Kindle, especially when traveling.

I like thrillers, Sci-Fi, historical fiction, some mystery and some YA.

Try Rosemary Sutcliff for historical novels. Supposed to be children's or YA but good for adults too. Especially her Roman Britain books.

I tend to read and reread my favorities many times. Book Bub is good for cheap/free books and most classics are free anyway.

I like Harry Potter but think that some of the later (terribly long) books written after she got very famous needed some serious editing for length and tightened up generally.

I just wish ship libraries were as good as they used to be. Now they are just an after thought and seldom have much in them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi