Allure: Confessions of a solo passenger

hucifer

Thank you Cel!

Oh that "Richard." When he stopped replying to my texts, I asked him if I had done anything to offend him. No response. Ever. Which is weird, because he gave me so much of his time on the ship. Either man up and say, "I didn't like it when you said x," or risk getting publicly ridiculed on a cruise forum. Your choice. Because getting ghosted by a grown man is ridiculous.

Yup - definitely a ‘Richard’ move...men suck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hucifer,

This by far is the most entertaining cruise review I have ever read. Filled with sarcasm( which makes it even better)comedy and some great commentary. You made us feel as if we were with you or at least wish we were. You tell a great story, I wish we could have been at your table for dinner, would have made for great convos, Sorry you had such sticks in the mud for dinner mates. Anywho, there are 4 of us going on Allure next Nov' and can't wait, We may do the same specialty dining you did just because of your experience on how great the food was.

Again, thank you for the great report and hope you will do anther one after your next cruise. I bet you will have some great stories with your 11 yo with you.

Hi all...greetings from Belfast!

I only found this review last week when trying to find info on The Beast as I will be sailing on her at the end of September. I have sailed on Oasis and Harmony before but I love doing my research. I too am a frequent solo traveller and 100% people treat you like you are a visitor from another planet at times but either I travel solo or I stay home and I know which one I will be doing!! :cool:

The tears have been tripping with laughter throughout and have really enjoyed not only the review but everyone's comments. :')

I will be keeping my eye out for Robo and Vlad while onboard! :hearteyes:

Looking forward to reading your review of Oasis with your son!! ;p

She is back! I have 15 pages to catch up on. Been off line myself since my Solo back in February.

Anyway welcome Hucifer, look forward to getting caught up when it’s not 1am.

I came back, indeed. So glad I did! How was YOUR solo?

i am a grand mom and LOVE cruising solo! I can do what i want, when i want and gamble as much as i want without feeling guilty!

There is so much freedom to traveling alone. I never knew there were so many of us out there until I made this thread.

Thank you hucifier for such an entertaining and fun review. I only discovered it a few days ago, and actually printed it to read while on a flight for work. People would look when I'd giggle out loud. LOVE! I travel along many times a year for work. Sometimes meet up with distributors and the like, but there are many a time I eat alone. I'm taking my first solo cruise Dec 9th on Harmony of the Seas and am looking forward to actually have an endless list of choices to do whatever or do nothing. I'm hoping to "unplug" from work for awhile, which these days never seems to be possible. Thank you again, for bringing your trip to life.

Laurie

Yes, I travel alone for work a lot myself, and I absolutely love it, which is sort of a test run for vacationing alone, isn't it? Except on vacations you don't have to, you know, work and stuff.

YOUR FIRST SOLO CRUISE! My first one was in December too and certainly very memorable. I hope yours is an incredible experience too.

Glad you enjoyed the report! :)

This was such an awesome read! I discovered it today and was hooked. Thanks for sharing. You have a gift for writing. I'm inspired. Have fun in August on the Oasis. I'll be traveling then as well.

Glad you liked it! And thank you for such humbling compliments! Where are you headed in August?

Yup - definitely a ‘Richard’ move...men suck..

Well...."Richard" certainly sucked. But honestly, I have met and known so many wonderful men.

Hucifer,

This by far is the most entertaining cruise review I have ever read. Filled with sarcasm( which makes it even better)comedy and some great commentary. You made us feel as if we were with you or at least wish we were. You tell a great story, I wish we could have been at your table for dinner, would have made for great convos, Sorry you had such sticks in the mud for dinner mates. Anywho, there are 4 of us going on Allure next Nov' and can't wait, We may do the same specialty dining you did just because of your experience on how great the food was.

Again, thank you for the great report and hope you will do anther one after your next cruise. I bet you will have some great stories with your 11 yo with you.

Aww, I'm glad you liked it. I wish you guys could have been at my table too. You are going to love the Allure! And 150 Central Park, if you go. And I DO recommend 150 CP very, very much.

I hope to have the energy and time to write a report after the Oasis trip with my boy. That is my plan, at least. Thank you!

Hi all...greetings from Belfast!

I only found this review last week when trying to find info on The Beast as I will be sailing on her at the end of September. I have sailed on Oasis and Harmony before but I love doing my research. I too am a frequent solo traveller and 100% people treat you like you are a visitor from another planet at times but either I travel solo or I stay home and I know which one I will be doing!! :cool:

The tears have been tripping with laughter throughout and have really enjoyed not only the review but everyone's comments. :')

I will be keeping my eye out for Robo and Vlad while onboard! :hearteyes:

Looking forward to reading your review of Oasis with your son!! ;p

Hello! I had to look up Belfast because I'm geographically impotent. Now I'm a little bit smarter now, so thanks!

Well, I am certainly happy that you stumbled upon my thread while researching The Beast and that you enjoyed it.

Vlad wasn't his real name, I made it up because I can't remember what it was. But Robo? Mmmm. I can't forget HIM. Post pics if you find him!

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be taking a cruise with my boy in August, but he is so clingy that there's no way I will feel like I'm solo. Unless I lock him into the kids club. Not unlike the scene in Sixteen Candles when the parents force their son to go to the dance. As they barricade the school doors from the outside, the kid yells, "I want to go home! I want to be with you guys!" That would be my boy, acting as if dropping him off at Adventure Ocean was some form of parental torture.

Anyway, Nachi Cocum was still as wonderful as you remember it. Sombreros and all.

I'm cruising with my boy (11) in Jan and he's just as clingy and reluctant to go to the kids club...why don't they get that hanging with them puts a huge dent in the ogling of the male species and consuming of the alcohol that is key for single women cruising fun!

I'm cruising with my boy (11) in Jan and he's just as clingy and reluctant to go to the kids club...why don't they get that hanging with them puts a huge dent in the ogling of the male species and consuming of the alcohol that is key for single women cruising fun!

My type of solo female cruiser ;p:p:p

Does the kids club run through the night? ;-)

Hucifer thank you soooooo much for your wonderful and funny review!! We are going on the Allure in Dec, 2018. Can't wait! I stretched this out for 4 days and feel like I have been on the cruise with you! Your writing is superb and totally enjoyable. Can't wait to read your next adventure. Happy Cruising!

Hucifer, this was an excellent read and I loved it! As a solo traveler, I take my trips each summer after school is out. When I can ship the blocker off for the summer and I count my cruise as a reward for making it through the school year and work! I have mainly cruised on ships with solo rooms (traveling on the Harmony next year). I look forward to your review with your son. I took my son on my very first cruise (I was hooked, he was not so impressed), but I plan to take him again to see how he will enjoy cruising as a teenager. As everyone has said, THANK YOU for your review and your awesome writing style...LOVED IT!!!!

I went back and binged your review today, in full... An 8 month epic journey all in a few hours. Great job. You would be a fun person to cruise with, although I'm much more of an introvert. I want to try out Royal some day... Hope you have a great trip with the youngin' next month.

Hucifer, have you considered doing stand up comedy based on the solo vacationer? You might be good at it!

Well dang if that isn't an incredible compliment. Thank you! I have fantasized about stand up throughout my adult life, but honestly I don't think I have what it takes. My reports take hours and hours of writing and rewriting, so I don't think that improvisational comedy is my thing.

Awesome trip report..

Thank you! :)

No!!!!!!!!!! Don't go! I loved this entire thread. You're amazing! Now to count the days until your August recap.....

Aww, thank you. But I had to go. Cuz it was over and stuff. 27 days and counting until we board...but Lord knows HOW long the recap will take to write. Am considering bringing my laptop on the cruise to get a jump start on the writing, but i'm not sure.

So you know EXACTLY where I'm coming from. I talk to my boy a LOT about the kid's club so that I can fill his head with all sorts of expectations that he will be forced to socialize with peers. Oh, the horrors!

My type of solo female cruiser ;p:p:p

Does the kids club run through the night? ;-)

Pffft. I WISH.

ETA: Oh wait. That comment was for another poster. Oops.

Hucifer thank you soooooo much for your wonderful and funny review!! We are going on the Allure in Dec, 2018. Can't wait! I stretched this out for 4 days and feel like I have been on the cruise with you! Your writing is superb and totally enjoyable. Can't wait to read your next adventure. Happy Cruising!

Why, thank you so much! I love writing, and I love that people enjoy my writing. I can only hope that my next trip has enough material to keep it engaging.

Hucifer, this was an excellent read and I loved it! As a solo traveler, I take my trips each summer after school is out. When I can ship the blocker off for the summer and I count my cruise as a reward for making it through the school year and work! I have mainly cruised on ships with solo rooms (traveling on the Harmony next year). I look forward to your review with your son. I took my son on my very first cruise (I was hooked, he was not so impressed), but I plan to take him again to see how he will enjoy cruising as a teenager. As everyone has said, THANK YOU for your review and your awesome writing style...LOVED IT!!!!

First of all, thank you for being the only person to acknowledge the blocker. For a minute, I thought no one was picking up on that.

Second, I love that this report has brought out so many fellow solo travelers. Do you ever write about your trips?

Third, thank you so much for your compliments. Each one means a lot to me. Happy that you enjoyed it so much!

I went back and binged your review today, in full... An 8 month epic journey all in a few hours. Great job. You would be a fun person to cruise with, although I'm much more of an introvert. I want to try out Royal some day... Hope you have a great trip with the youngin' next month.

Well, I think I'm fun, but opinions may vary on that. I have a very strong personality when I'm in my comfort zone, but can also tone it down considerably around introverts. I'm good with all kinds of people. Except Richards. Definitely not Richards.

I absolutely loved your review! I'm going on the Allure next month with family and can't wait to check out the Beast! But I usually cruise solo, and have a solo cruise planned for this October on Princess. Your observations about dinner are spot-on. On one solo cruise I had a great table, but I'm starting to think that was a fluke. My other traditional dining tables have been duds. People don't show up at all or do show up but refuse to talk to anyone except their companions. Or speak French the whole time (on my one Carnival cruise, it was Russian). As far as the solo gatherings, on one cruise, it was great - a lunch that was well-attended by a lot of fun people. But that also seems now like a fluke - most of the solo gatherings, if there are any, are very poorly attended, in my experience.

Still solo cruising definitely has its advantages, mainly being able to do what you want when you want to do it.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. I was lol'ing the whole time.

Loved the review, thanks so much! I am glad I found it after the pause....

We are doing our first RCCL cruise on something less than the Beast, but I am reading everything I can to get a general "what's this RCCL all about" feel for things.

And then our end of the month vacation plans fell through, and I got to thinking...I wonder if we could book a very last minute cruise, on the Beast...Now I just have to convince DH before the airfare prices get out of hand!

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 8:16 PM, hucifer said:

Ichigan as in "itch" or "ick"?

Okay, let's make this clear: I went to State, so I would NEVER wear a UofM shirt. I bleed green, not blue.

Second, I know you haven't read the second installment of day 1, as I haven't posted it yet, but as a social reject you will find that people do not want to sit with me. Ever.

And since I don't know what you look like, I can only make the assumption that your eagerness to invite people to your table seems a little too enthusiastic for this demographic.

I am not worthy of a comparison of that nature...but I'll take it! Glad you are enjoying it.

Yeah!  Go green!  I, too, would NEVER wear a scUM shirt!  Offended when people think just because we live in the beautiful state of Michigan, we are Michican’t fans!

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

Yeah!  Go green!  I, too, would NEVER wear a scUM shirt!  Offended when people think just because we live in the beautiful state of Michigan, we are Michican’t fans!

Soooo...I guess that means we're friends??  The whole enemy of my enemy thing.