Port Intensive and Picture Intensive Trip Report for Jewel's E Mediterranean cruise

Monday,11/6/17, Day 18, Day 13 of the cruise – Civitavecchia Debarkation and Home

Last day! I think we were ready to go home. It was a long vacation! But we had such a great time! Another trip of a lifetime!

We had a full breakfast in Chops Grille. I had a pancake again that was yummy! It was early, though, lol! Diego took us off the ship at 7 am. It was so easy – he took us to a special elevator (wish our last cruise on Harmony had had this!) and to our luggage. He stayed with us until we all found our luggage. He was a really good concierge. We got some porters for all of our luggage and went out to our transport. We had a great surprise in that Fabrizio was waiting for us! He had a story, of course, and was on fire on our ride to the airport. He is so funny and was a nice addition to our experience. I didn’t mention, but he had the funniest way of phrasing things (and knew it). He would call drivers who cut him off “Jimmy” – and we were pretty sure what he meant by that. 😊 He would yell out “casserolei” and mutter “I can’t kill another priest!” when driving. He would say “squeeze my brain” when he was trying to remember something. He called Phil, “Saint of Divorce”, due to his 3 marriages. He had never been married himself, but engaged something like 17 times, he would say. In fact, I think he met #17 one night after he dropped us off at the hotel. 😊 We really enjoyed our time with him and he greatly added to the tremendous time we had.

At the airport, I got an intimate pat down. Phil was stopped because he had a pair of pliers in his carry on. WHY??? No idea. We got through security finally. It was a big airport! P&I had gotten the upgrade to priority boarding this time. M got pulled out and had to go through a random full check at the gate. It was so weird and embarrassing... Anyway, finally we were on the plane and headed home. It was a long flight and I read and did not move once. P slept just about the whole time. Food was edible, but nothing good.

36669885_2223045837712356_6955713335601922048_n_zpsrmalbqwm.png

36661568_2223046211045652_3043776003357802496_n_zps6n7iy7sh.png

We got our luggage, met Dave and followed him to the beautiful huge van, drove back to M&F’s house, and then P&I drove home to MD. Traffic was yucky, but not too terrible for rush hour. So tired and I had work the next day, but it all went very well and perfectly to our plan! I put my souvenirs that my sister and I got each other from Sicily on my bookshelf at work to remember. 😊

15cacee7-36ae-48fe-a406-d771248b2b71_zpsef3prwej.png

We had a fabulous time and it truly was a wonderful experience of a lifetime!! It was amazing to see the awe-inspiring sights that were so ancient. Those make America look like a toddler. The people also aren’t embarrassed about their heritage, good and bad. I was happy to get back to the U.S., though, and our traffic laws. LOL! Thank you all for your kind comments! Happy cruising to all!

Next up – The Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore – 12 day Southern Caribbean!! Can’t wait!!

Thank you for your posts & pictures - I’m doing Jewel’s 2018 version of this itinerary and I really enjoyed a peak at many of the ports I’ll be visiting in Oct./Nov..

I’m curious, did many people on board dress up for Halloween?

Beautiful pics, thank you for sharing your experiences. We are doing the Greek Isles in September on Jewel. Did they have live bands playing in lounges at night? Were any of the shows worth going to?

Judy

Hi Judy! Thank you! That should be amazing! Yes, they did have live music throughout the ship. We did not go to any of the shows, but I did not hear anything negative about them. We had been on Harmony last year and Quantum and Allure in previous years. We figured the shows wouldn’t be at that level and with such a port intensive trip didn’t really feel the urge to go to the shows. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Debbie,

Thank you again for the wonderful review and beautiful pictures. Quick question: you say that Pizzeria Aurora in Sorrento was the best pizza of the trip. I'm spending a full day in Sorrento next May before boarding Jewel. Do you have a point of reference for Aurora? Is it close to the Cuomo shop that you also pictured...near the roundabout? I don't know street names, but that's where we usually start our day!

Thank you.

Susan

Speaking of safety, we did hear stories about pickpockets in Europe, and we were careful with our belongings. We bought money / credit card holders with RFID protection from Travelon as we read that was a problem. We did not run into any problems and it did not seem any more dangerous than anywhere else we have been. Our guide in Marseilles did say that even she had been recently pickpocketed and she is always careful. She was still upset over it.

This hotel was stunning! Unfortunately, our rooms were not ready. We got there at 1:45 pm. The hotel bell hop took our luggage to hold. We went to sit outside and had a drink. Waiter could not understand that I wanted amaretto and sprite. Another waiter came out to see what it was we were asking for. They finally got it right. We were like didn’t you guys invent amaretto??? LOL!

DSC06614_zpsjckmzetu.jpg

Cavalieri is one of my favorite hotels anywhere.

Debbie,

Thank you again for the wonderful review and beautiful pictures. Quick question: you say that Pizzeria Aurora in Sorrento was the best pizza of the trip. I'm spending a full day in Sorrento next May before boarding Jewel. Do you have a point of reference for Aurora? Is it close to the Cuomo shop that you also pictured...near the roundabout? I don't know street names, but that's where we usually start our day!

Thank you.

Susan

Thanks! Lucky you! Sounds awesome! I don’t know for sure but I do think so. It was very open area there. Have a wonderful trip!

Did you find the quality of the food onboard to be the same as cruises from the US, or was there a difference for a European cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello! P&I both found it to be the same. I had read a lot about how much fresher and better the food is on the European cruises, but I didn’t really notice. But you can tell we are more meat and potato type of eaters and I think they might mean more like salad and fancy foods are better. [emoji23] We found it all to be very good. [emoji4]

Thanks! Lucky you! Sounds awesome! I don’t know for sure but I do think so. It was very open area there. Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks Debbie. A google search tells me the restaurant is exactly where I thought it was! Can’t wait for Sorrento and the outstanding pizza.

Susan

We came across one of the cars that was in the show.

DSC06362_zpsuodtitky.jpg

DSC06368_zpsd7um2kk8.jpg

DSC06382_zpsv0dx8nno.jpg

That red Ferrari belongs to the owner of a Gelato shop in Sorrento. I have pictures of that car from our land tour two years ago. It was parked right outside his shop and was quite an attraction.

Btw, his gelato is excellent. Our tour company had given us coupons for a free gelato from his shop:D

That red Ferrari belongs to the owner of a Gelato shop in Sorrento. I have pictures of that car from our land tour two years ago. It was parked right outside his shop and was quite an attraction.

Btw, his gelato is excellent. Our tour company had given us coupons for a free gelato from his shop:D

Wow!

And now I want gelato... [emoji23]

your review is GREAT. Thank you. I have question about dress in the MDR. WE are traveling with two teenage boys. If there were any on the ship during your cruise, was did they wear?

Thanks so much! I didn’t see too many teens but most boys were in khakis/polos that I saw. Have a terrific cruise!

• 2 weeks later...