To drinks package or not to drinks package - my solution

This is my first post so please be kind.

On Monday I booked our cruise on Explorer for myself, hubby, DD 13 and DS (who will be) 12, and the MIL and FIL - 9 days in the South Pacific in the January school holidays. Our second ever cruise (the 1st about 6years ago)but the in laws have cruised loads around the med and the Caribbean.

For the past 5 days I have been trawling the forums and interweb to work out if it will be worthwhile pre-purchasing the drinks packages. By all accounts, there are some very divided opinions - I was looking at delux for me and the hubby and refreshment for the kids.

It’s not made any easier by the fact that the packages on my planner are quoted in AU$ and includes gratuity and the bar menus I’ve found on the web are quoted in US$ and then you have to add 18% on top! (As I understand it).

I’ve tried to imagine how much I would drink over the course of a day. Don’t get me wrong, I like to relax on my hols and am partial to a nice wine and a few cocktails after dinner. Both me and th OH sometimes over indulge (and these days it gets harder to shake off the foggy head the next day!) But I am wondering if we can sustain that for 9 nights straight. Plus you would drink less on shore days. Of which we have 4. Also as we have 3 rooms, that’s 6 bottles of wine we can bring onboard.

The in laws would probably not go for a package as, although FIL likes a tipple, MIL would probably have max 3 drinks and they would both have to purchase as in the same room.

Then there is the refreshment Package. As my kids are teens I am thinking that the plain Soda package would be too limited - the refreshment package is the next one up and 3 times the price needing around 8 drinks a day to be drank, so would it really be worth it?

I know people talk about the prepayment and convenience factor of not having to worry about it during the cruise, but at the current price 2 x delux packages and 2 x refreshment packages works out at just over $AU 2,300- I reckon there would be a bit of worry either way - if I buy the packages if I’ve wasted money, or if I don’t, the massive bar bill at the end of the cruise.

So I’ve got a plan: put simply I’m going to overpay my credit card.

I’m not going to get the packages and I’ll put the $2300 away and just before we go I’ll transfer this money onto my card. Then I get to not worry about our bar bill at the end of the cruise, if we spend more than that, well we only have to deal with the balance. I’ll get the kids the soda package to give them the independence of getting their own drinks and load a few dollars on their seapasses so they can buy the odd milkshake or whatever and I’ll keep an eye on what they are spending. I suppose I could potentially upgrade them i need to (or cut them off lol!)

Sorry I’ve rambled a bit, but that’s my plan - I just need to make sure I don’t spend my barbill money over christmas!!

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! This actually sounds like a good plan for you. It does not seem like the drink package would be advantageous for you and I think the "pay as you go" plan would make more sense. It seems to me the "average" would be at least 5 drinks per day to "break even"......somewhere around that. I like your plan.

LOVE the Explorer. Hope you and your family have a wonderful time!

We didn’t get the drinks package on our last cruise as it was quite port intensive.

Something we noticed, which we wouldn’t if we’d had the package, is how many special drinks promotions are run around the ship.

We really enjoyed ourselves, always had a drink when we wanted one and saved money on the packages.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m not going to get the packages and I’ll put the $2300 away and just before we go I’ll transfer this money onto my card. Then I get to not worry about our bar bill at the end of the cruise, if we spend more than that, well we only have to deal with the balance. I’ll get the kids the soda package to give them the independence of getting their own drinks and load a few dollars on their seapasses so they can buy the odd milkshake or whatever and I’ll keep an eye on what they are spending. I suppose I could potentially upgrade them i need to (or cut them off lol!).

This is exactly what I do. Last 6 cruises and spent no where near the cost of a drink package! I do like to drink on holiday. Going on an 18 night cruise later this year and plan on doing the same thing. Of course, I will evaluate my spending on drinks mid cruise and could always get s drink package for the remaining days if my expenditure looks like equaling the cost of a deluxe (premium) drink package.

I’m not going to get the packages and I’ll put the $2300 away and just before we go I’ll transfer this money onto my card. Then I get to not worry about our bar bill at the end of the cruise, if we spend more than that, well we only have to deal with the balance. I’ll get the kids the soda package to give them the independence of getting their own drinks and load a few dollars on their seapasses so they can buy the odd milkshake or whatever and I’ll keep an eye on what they are spending. I suppose I could potentially upgrade them i need to (or cut them off lol!).

This is exactly what I do. Last 6 cruises and spent no where near the cost of a drink package! I do like to drink on holiday. Going on an 18 night cruise later this year and plan on doing the same thing. Of course, I will evaluate my spending on drinks mid cruise and could always get s drink package for the remaining days if my expenditure looks like equaling the cost of a deluxe (premium) drink package.

Thanks for that - it’s good to know there’s someone who’s putting the plan into practice

The only thing you might miss out on is a good price on the package. During a recent sale I got the deluxe package for $42 USD. That is a significant savings off the on-board price of $55 USD per day.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the sales and, if you are able, get deluxe package. I'm not a big drinker (but hubby is) so I calculated that with one specialty coffee, one fresh squeezed OJ, minimum five bottles of water and only TWO drinks per day, I will break even with this sale price (Hubby will definitely get his moneys worth). Of course this depends on if you enjoy the non-alcoholic drinks I suggested (I plan on them every day with or without the drink package). Otherwise you have to have at least four alcoholic drinks per day which isn't too excessive. Like others have said, it's more about not having to worry about going over my budget so I'm happy if I just break even.

This is my first post so please be kind.

On Monday I booked our cruise on Explorer for myself, hubby, DD 13 and DS (who will be) 12, and the MIL and FIL - 9 days in the South Pacific in the January school holidays. Our second ever cruise (the 1st about 6years ago)but the in laws have cruised loads around the med and the Caribbean.

For the past 5 days I have been trawling the forums and interweb to work out if it will be worthwhile pre-purchasing the drinks packages. By all accounts, there are some very divided opinions - I was looking at delux for me and the hubby and refreshment for the kids.

It’s not made any easier by the fact that the packages on my planner are quoted in AU$ and includes gratuity and the bar menus I’ve found on the web are quoted in US$ and then you have to add 18% on top! (As I understand it).

I’ve tried to imagine how much I would drink over the course of a day. Don’t get me wrong, I like to relax on my hols and am partial to a nice wine and a few cocktails after dinner. Both me and th OH sometimes over indulge (and these days it gets harder to shake off the foggy head the next day!) But I am wondering if we can sustain that for 9 nights straight. Plus you would drink less on shore days. Of which we have 4. Also as we have 3 rooms, that’s 6 bottles of wine we can bring onboard.

The in laws would probably not go for a package as, although FIL likes a tipple, MIL would probably have max 3 drinks and they would both have to purchase as in the same room.

Then there is the refreshment Package. As my kids are teens I am thinking that the plain Soda package would be too limited - the refreshment package is the next one up and 3 times the price needing around 8 drinks a day to be drank, so would it really be worth it?

I know people talk about the prepayment and convenience factor of not having to worry about it during the cruise, but at the current price 2 x delux packages and 2 x refreshment packages works out at just over $AU 2,300- I reckon there would be a bit of worry either way - if I buy the packages if I’ve wasted money, or if I don’t, the massive bar bill at the end of the cruise.

I’m not going to get the packages and I’ll put the $2300 away and just before we go I’ll transfer this money onto my card. Then I get to not worry about our bar bill at the end of the cruise, if we spend more than that, well we only have to deal with the balance. I’ll get the kids the soda package to give them the independence of getting their own drinks and load a few dollars on their seapasses so they can buy the odd milkshake or whatever and I’ll keep an eye on what they are spending. I suppose I could potentially upgrade them i need to (or cut them off lol!)

Sorry I’ve rambled a bit, but that’s my plan - I just need to make sure I don’t spend my barbill money over christmas!!

I’ll let you know how it goes.

I personally think the refreshment plan is a total waste of money for teens/kids. Most kids want soda, and when you get into the teen years a lot of them are watching even watching their weight and know not to drik heavy sugary drinks all day.

The drinks on refreshment, like smoothies and milkshakes and virgin coladas are very heavy and most people wouldn't sit there and drink them all day....maybe just one or two. On soda they can get seltzer which can substitute for water in most instances.

Just my opinion but I'd just get them the generic soda plan which is a good jumping off point, and tell them they can have a few other drinks here and there...….

The package is a great value to royal but not to us otherwise they couldn’t be selling it lol

I only had the refreshment package once when traveling with my family of 4 and I felt I had to over drink even when I didn’t want to just to break even.

You can’t and I didn’t not share my package since it’s against the rule but maybe if you are able to share it legally the package will make sense

Now I understand why a guy in the ice show was getting up to the bar every 1 minute to bring a drink to his friends. 🤣[emoji23]

Just a little side not for you . . . the Deluxe Package includes specialty coffees, water bottles, fresh squeezed orange juice in addition to your adult drinks.

It really depends on how important those might be to you also.

The only thing you might miss out on is a good price on the package. During a recent sale I got the deluxe package for $42 USD. That is a significant savings off the on-board price of $55 USD per day.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the sales and, if you are able, get deluxe package. I'm not a big drinker (but hubby is) so I calculated that with one specialty coffee, one fresh squeezed OJ, minimum five bottles of water and only TWO drinks per day, I will break even with this sale price (Hubby will definitely get his moneys worth). Of course this depends on if you enjoy the non-alcoholic drinks I suggested (I plan on them every day with or without the drink package). Otherwise you have to have at least four alcoholic drinks per day which isn't too excessive. Like others have said, it's more about not having to worry about going over my budget so I'm happy if I just break even.

We also got the great deal at $42. My hubby likes to relax and he always more than gets his money's worth from the package. I come close everyday with a few coffee drinks, and I drink lots of water, followed by a few adult bevvies in the evening. The biggest thing for me is peace of mind. I know going in what I have spent and never have to worry. The first few cruises we took, the drink packages were few and far between , so we did not buy one, I worried everytime hubby got a drink about our bar bill, to the point of depriving myself of something I would enjoy because I didn't want to break the bank. :tropical-drink:

Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast are included in your fare. If that will suit you for non-booze options, then there's no need for a refreshment package.

As far as the "fuzzy head" from drinking...simply do NOT mix drinks. If you start with beer, stick with beer. If you're drinking wine...don't switch to cocktails! It's quite simple to avoid hangovers. Of course, not getting "blotto" helps too!...but it's the MIXING of different drinks that will get you every time!

As far as the "fuzzy head" from drinking...simply do NOT mix drinks. If you start with beer, stick with beer. If you're drinking wine...don't switch to cocktails! It's quite simple to avoid hangovers. Of course, not getting "blotto" helps too!...but it's the MIXING of different drinks that will get you every time!

That's a rather simplistic statement. It's also unproven, except for the not getting blotto part.

I like rum and Coke. I've noticed that I have less of a hangover if I leave out the Coke and just drink the Rum.

Of course, as always, I could be wrong.

If the money is in the bank why prepay your credit card?

I’ll fix up the bill at the end of the cruise with the credit card - no doubt we’ll but other stuff - OH usually gets a watch and I’ll probably get some trinkery, so it will all go on the card.

Also, as I’m in Australia, my credit card will do the conversion to US$ for me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s a great point - and I think that the fear of missing out is always a great incentive - however, my planner is currently offering me the delux package at $81 in Aussie dollars, on the current exchange rate that’s a smidge above $US60. (granted though, you would never actually get that rate from the bank). If the package was anywhere in the $60 Aussie dollar range, I think I would definitely reconsider! - I am no hopeful, but will definately keep checking.

That’s a great point - and I think that the fear of missing out is always a great incentive - however, my planner is currently offering me the delux package at $81 in Aussie dollars, on the current exchange rate that’s a smidge above $US60. (granted though, you would never actually get that rate from the bank). If the package was anywhere in the $60 Aussie dollar range, I think I would definitely reconsider! - I am no hopeful, but will definately keep checking.

Very astute

there is typically a 10-drink punch card sold also several days into the cruise you may want to consider or (re)consider once you see how a few days go.

I don't know that we have any reports of that occurring on the Explorer in the South Pacific.

This is what we do and since we are now Diamond Members we get free drinks during a few hours in the early evening so it works out much better to pay as we go.

As Elite on Celebrity we will be Diamond on Explorer at the end of August 2019.

Could you please tell me how many drinks are loaded on to your card per day and do they have to be taken in the Diamond Lounge or can you take one into the dining room.

there is typically a 10-drink punch card sold also several days into the cruise you may want to consider or (re)consider once you see how a few days go.

Sounds interesting, which ships have this ?

We will be sailing from Southampton.

Edited by upwarduk

As Elite on Celebrity we will be Diamond on Explorer at the end of August 2019.

Could you please tell me how many drinks are loaded on to your card per day and do they have to be taken in the Diamond Lounge or can you take one into the dining room.

Sounds interesting, which ships have this ?

We will be sailing from Southampton.

3 drinks each day on each card, can be taken in and thus from pretty much every bar. They are in addition to the daily Diamond Lounge/event, BUT can only be used during the same hours as the Diamond Lounge/event.

We either go to the Diamond event and dinner around 6, then use our card drinks in a bar, or vice versa, according to how busy the DL is on that sailing.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app