Celia Disease - how does Royal handle gluten free?

Hello, Taking our 2nd Royal cruise in Sept, it has been 12 years!

My daughter has Celiac disease and we are concerned about gluten, any contact will make her very sick all week. On Carnival they have a dedicated dept., they met with her every day and she mapped out her dinner the night before, there were many options even in buffet nd food was great. I tried to find info on Royal website, I did find an email you can write to, I did that but never heard anything. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you.

We are just back off the Independence and in the Windjammer there were specific areas where gluten free options were every night. Usually starters, mains and desserts.

I know you are trying to help but this isn't really anything useful for a celiac since the chance of cross contamination is pretty much 100%.

We cruise with two Celiac children and RCI has been great, talk to the folks at the special needs email above and then most importantly get to know your servers in the MDR and Windjammer.

In windjammer let a server know you are traveling with a celiac and they will send a chef out to discuss your options, On liberty last year the chef would also be the one to bring the food back to make sure that the food got to the right people and to insure there was no cross contamination.

At dinner your head server will discuss the options for the next night and work with you to find safe meal for your daughter

both of the children we cruise with are extremely sensitive to gluten and one had zero issues while on the cruise, the other had one little episode of a bad stomach but the parents think that had more to do with how much she was eating VS gluten since it cleared up way faster then a gluten episode would.

I know you are trying to help but this isn't really anything useful for a celiac since the chance of cross contamination is pretty much 100%.

I have seen gluten free items in sealed packaging in the buffet: muffins, etc. I don't know if they are available fleet wide. They should be safe.

Actually, RC has a dedicated are for cooking gluten free food to avoid cross contamination. It was mentioned in another thread. I also have gluten issues and have been very happy with the way my needs were met on the 4 cruises we’ve been on since my diagnosis.

We make sure to alert everyone before the cruise including concierge, diamond club concierge, and I always speak to a WJ chef while we are there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello, Taking our 2nd Royal cruise in Sept, it has been 12 years!

My daughter has Celiac disease and we are concerned about gluten, any contact will make her very sick all week. On Carnival they have a dedicated dept., they met with her every day and she mapped out her dinner the night before, there were many options even in buffet nd food was great. I tried to find info on Royal website, I did find an email you can write to, I did that but never heard anything. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you.

It looks like you are going on Anthem, which has a very large, dedicated gluten free area in the Windjammer. There is also a gluten free dessert area. You can easily have food made to order for your daughter.

In the MDR, they will have her order the night before and her food will be cooked in the gluten free kitchen.

My daughter is also Gluten Free. We just got off Liberty. They had Udi's cookies at Promenade Café (didn't know this until the last day!) as well as gluten free sandwiches. My daughter is also dairy free, so that made it more difficult, but I think she ate better on the ship than she does at home! We did bring some GF pre-packaged food with us just in case, as well as to take off for the stops.

My husband has gluten AND soy allergies. We had no problem on Freedom, Oasis, or Harmony. At dinner, they took his breakfast order and dinner order for the following evening in the dining room or specialty restaurants. In Wonderland, they really went out of their way to prepare special dishes for him and still give him the experience of the restaurant. Royal Caribbean is pretty awesome at handling dietary needs.

We were on Oasis in May with our 5 year old daughter who has Celiac. We had a very good experience. It wasn’t perfect (no vacation with Celiac is perfect), but it was as good as any family vacation we have been on and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

The first night GF options were rather limited, but once we got to know our headwaiter and wait staff, we had plenty to choose from every other evening. They took orders the night before for breakfast and dinner in the main dining room & were quite accommodating.

Aside from the main dining room, our kids ate GF pizza from Sorrentos which is made in a dedicated oven. They enjoyed it a lot!

At windjammer the 2 times we ate there, a chef came out & took orders & prepared it in a safe area in the back. The GF burgers there were good.

As others mentioned, there were GF Udi’s cookies at Cafe Promenade. A nice treat for a snack!

Overall it was a very good experience for a child with Celiac and she never once was sick with cross contamination.

I wrote a very long report on the trip with much more detail (though it’s way more detail than you’re looking for as much of the report isn’t food related). If you search “Celiac” or “gluten” you’ll find my report, as well as several other much more succinct reports that are just as informative as to what to expect.

We found RC overall to be a very good vacation with a child who has Celiac. We have done several Disney trips on land (and Disney is very good with food allergies), and I found most Celiac meal prep encounters on RC to be as good or better than what we have experienced at Disney. Like Disney, it’s not a perfect experience. But it’s as good as I’ve found anywhere and we were quite happy with it overall.

I'll just add to the comments already made. My wife and I were on rhapsody of the seas in June and they handled her gluten free needs really well. Dinner ordered the night before , windjammer chef came out to take orders , made pancakes at breakfast , pizza at lunch , cookies at park cafe etc. Very good experience . Getting to know your MDR waiter / head waiter is key to this experience. Go see them on embarkation day and discuss your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums