Scenic Eclipse

russg140

Kirby, do you mean did we get anything extra for them holding our money?? If so the answer is NO.

At this point we will be relieved to get our expenses back and call it a day. The lesson learned is not to book on Scenic again. They do not seem to value our business and understand what problems they caused for each one of us. Someone on this or another thead posted that they had a cruise cancelled on another line due to a mechanical issue with the ship and they were refunded all costs and offered 50% off any other cruise. That could have served as a model of what to do for Scenic.

Kirby, do you mean did we get anything extra for them holding our money?? If so the answer is NO.

At this point we will be relieved to get our expenses back and call it a day. The lesson learned is not to book on Scenic again. They do not seem to value our business and understand what problems they caused for each one of us. Someone on this or another thead posted that they had a cruise cancelled on another line due to a mechanical issue with the ship and they were refunded all costs and offered 50% off any other cruise. That could have served as a model of what to do for Scenic.

Well the good news is that we all have many other choices in the luxury market. I have 3 Seabourn cruises coming up in the next 12 months, and I have just paid a deposit on an APT tour (coincidentally they are one of Scenic's main competitors in Australia for land tours and Europe river cruises!).

Those of you who have received refunds, has there been any consideration of interest lost?

Gosh, I would be happy to see my refund and out of pocket expenses repaid. I would not hold my breath regards getting the interest lost reimbursed,nice if you can get it though.

I have heard of many cruise lines offering better 'make good' terms than Scenic seems to be doing here, but AFAIR I have never heard of any line offering to refund 'lost interest.' How would they calculate that even if they wanted to?

I have heard of many cruise lines offering better 'make good' terms than Scenic seems to be doing here, but AFAIR I have never heard of any line offering to refund 'lost interest.' How would they calculate that even if they wanted to?

Date full payment made by guest, date cruise cancelled by Scenic, apply the CPI rate for that period and it would be a "reasonable" reimbursement of interest lost I would think. Of course that would probably be much less than the rate in the market but at least it would show good faith. All academic though, not likely to happen.

Host Jazzbeau.

We had an experience with a luxury cruise line, a couple of years back.

The ship was chartered for three months, by the Chinese, and it was during the time of our cruise. We were offered two alternative dates to take the same cruise a couple of months prior.They gave us an incredible discount on the fare that we had originally been quoted, and on top of that re-imbursed us for the extra amount of £1300.00 that we had to dish out for the change of flights. On top of that we almost had the ship to ourselves, 140 passengers on a 295 passenger ship!

Mistinguett - Yes, that is the kind of 'sweetened' offer I have heard about and would expect from a cruise line that is trying to portray itself as the height of luxury (as Scenic has been doing with Eclipse). OTOH in the example you describe the cruise line was getting lots of revenue from the charter – here, Scenic is cancelling cruises. But shouldn't they have insurance to cover these losses? [Many of us on Cruise Critic always advise cruisers to get Travel Insurance – the same surely applies to a cruise line!]

Mistinguett - Yes, that is the kind of 'sweetened' offer I have heard about and would expect from a cruise line that is trying to portray itself as the height of luxury (as Scenic has been doing with Eclipse). OTOH in the example you describe the cruise line was getting lots of revenue from the charter – here, Scenic is cancelling cruises. But shouldn't they have insurance to cover these losses? [Many of us on Cruise Critic always advise cruisers to get Travel Insurance – the same surely applies to a cruise line!]

Obviously we will never be privy to the contractual arrangements that Scenic has with the ship builders and the penalties in place for not having the ship completed in time. My guess is that Scenic is completely covered for financial loss.

For me though, the financial aspects of this issue in relation to customers is just one part of the story. The bigger issue is how Scenic chooses to treat us, their customers, and the value they place on us now and into the future. Unfortunately recent history has shown how they have managed customers aggrieved by problems with their river cruises. A company that repeats its mistakes is a very foolish one.

Travel insurance doesn't cover you when your travel supplier cancels the cruise. They cover only sickness or death and if you paid for extra coverage for any reason you receive 75% of total expenses.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/couples-100000-holiday-ruined-by-scenic-eclipse-delay/

This illustrates what we feared. I’m now thinking I may not get my independently booked flights and hotel costs now.

I was thinking before I saw this article that I probably would get what I considered “reasonable associated costs” back and that I would rebook as I didn’t want to “cut of my nose to spite my face” . Not so sure now .

If anyone does get any additional costs back please let us know

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/couples-100000-holiday-ruined-by-scenic-eclipse-delay/

This illustrates what we feared. I’m now thinking I may not get my independently booked flights and hotel costs now.

I was thinking before I saw this article that I probably would get what I considered “reasonable associated costs” back and that I would rebook as I didn’t want to “cut of my nose to spite my face” . Not so sure now ��.

Received this reply to my query yesterday 25th,from Scenic Spain- "They have just informed us that they are processing the refund for the cruise, but it takes some days to arrive to your bank account. We appreciate if you could inform us when you have received the refund in order to close this part of the file.

In regards to the airline charges they are pending of approval, I will send you more information as soon as we receive."

Does this sound as if we shall not see the additional costs?

We were informed by telephone on the 11th July,why is it taking so long?????

Received this reply to my query yesterday 25th,from Scenic Spain- "They have just informed us that they are processing the refund for the cruise, but it takes some days to arrive to your bank account. We appreciate if you could inform us when you have received the refund in order to close this part of the file.

In regards to the airline charges they are pending of approval, I will send you more information as soon as we receive."

Does this sound as if we shall not see the additional costs?

We were informed by telephone on the 11th July,why is it taking so long?????

Scenic is trying to make sure that those of us that have had our cruise canceled, we are not double dipping. We were told that proof of non-refundable third party expenditures need be varified before a check can be issued.

This takes time and frustrating, it’s almost like we’re at fault for canceling the cruise. Along with a pathetic 25% discount on the next cruise does not make up for time we have set aside for our trip and many hours of getting proof for non reimbursement.

I was thinking before I saw this article that I probably would get what I considered “reasonable associated costs” back and that I would rebook as I didn’t want to “cut of my nose to spite my face” . Not so sure now ��.

We were in (almost) the same category as the couple mentioned in the article, but our cruise (in February) has yet to be cancelled. We did NOT want to be one of the first cruises on this ship which is why we booked in February assuming the ship was launching in August. Now we would be the 3rd! We don't want to be Scenic's guinea pigs at $24K for the trip. Our next payment was due last week and our choice was a) make the next payment or b) forfeit the deposit. We've opted for "b" and will NEVER book Scenic. Ever.

We were in (almost) the same category as the couple mentioned in the article, but our cruise (in February) has yet to be cancelled. We did NOT want to be one of the first cruises on this ship which is why we booked in February assuming the ship was launching in August. Now we would be the 3rd! We don't want to be Scenic's guinea pigs at $24K for the trip. Our next payment was due last week and our choice was a) make the next payment or b) forfeit the deposit. We've opted for "b" and will NEVER book Scenic. Ever.

How much was the deposit? I would put in a claim for refund of the deposit, because your cruise in February is not what you booked. You allowed sufficient time for all "new ship problems" to be ironed out before your cruise, not the 3rd cruise. Scenic is loosing a lot of good will by not being generous with refunds.

Anyone on this thread booked on Great Civilizations Discovery Cruise #302M Tenerife to Athens April 5-27 2019? Curious as to your thoughts on this situation.

Sorry about the shouting font guys, couldn't seem to correct it.

I don't have that big a mouth. :o

mistinguett, did you use a travel agent??? if so it is time to contact them and have them go after it for you. Our agent got us our refund mailed to us. I have a feeling that if it was not for her we would still be waiting. Be aggressive and good luck. It is your money, not theirs.

mistinguett, did you use a travel agent??? if so it is time to contact them and have them go after it for you. Our agent got us our refund mailed to us. I have a feeling that if it was not for her we would still be waiting. Be aggressive and good luck. It is your money, not theirs.

Sharon, thank you,already spoke to Boston who said that I needed to speak to my travel agent. Our situation is a little more complicated because we live in Spain and could not book directly with Scenic USA. Had to use a Travel agent that represents them here, never normally use one,but, in this case had no choice.Have been on the phone to them this afternoon and was extremely firm with them. Waiting to hear back! :rolleyes:

Now I am getting very concerned about our cruise.

We are not volume cruisers, have only done a 16 day Silver Cloud Panama Canal and this will be a 23 day Mediterranean. These are our dream cruises. I would sure hate for this one to be a screw up.

Would have stuck with Silver Sea but reports the last few years weren't exactly glowing.

If this is a mistake I really want to know NOW!

We are getting so little information and certainly not any kind of special treatment like Silver Sea gave 10 years ago.

I would have expected a lot more from a "6 Star" cruise.

Am I wrong?

:eek::confused:

Going back, reviewing some posts and found yours.

Well by now you will have heard the news, our cruise is cancelled,Cuba in Depth, October sailing! We shall be going back to Siversea in March,sixth cruise!

Just to let you know that we have now received confirmation that our flights and precruise accommodation costs have been approved and paid to our TA and who are now passing it on to us. Once we receive the airport tax and fuel duty from our cancelled flights we will have been reimbursed in full which is a relief. I think that they have not handled this process particularly well and the rebooking 25% discount is not good enough. I will think long and hard about rebooking with Scenic

I

Just to let you know that we have now received confirmation that our flights and precruise accommodation costs have been approved and paid to our TA and who are now passing it on to us. Once we receive the airport tax and fuel duty from our cancelled flights we will have been reimbursed in full which is a relief. I think that they have not handled this process particularly well and the rebooking 25% discount is not good enough. I will think long and hard about rebooking with Scenic

I

Wonderful, encouraging news!

I

Glad to hear the positive news about your reimbursement.