Is Alaska cruise “colder” than Baltic cruise end of July?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I am reading so many posts of dressing in layers etc!

I am a “hot” person ahem generally.

Last year we took a Baltic cruise which included 5 nights in Amsterdam after.

Granted St. Petersburg was Hot when we were there. But I heard a lot about rain, layers etc. I never wore more than a light sweater. Umbrella.....

Is Alaska another level?

Thanks

Kerri

Might be, might not be. Weather in the two areas is not related. Layers in Alaska is a very good idea.

Only been to Baltic once, happened to be in July. Locals were complaining about the record high temps...low 90s. Never come close to that in Alaska..2 cruises, one in June, one in September.

I can’t compare it to a Baltic cruise, but I think a lot depends on what you are used to where you live. Temperatures from the 40s - 60s May feel warm to someone from a colder climate and very cold to someone from a warmer climate.

Also, on land it is generally warmer and most can get by with a light jacket or less. When sailing, near glaciers or on a glacier, it is substantially colder and we needed an extra layer.

Finally, weather in Alaska can change quickly. It may be warm and sunny one moment and cool, windy and raining later in the same day. This is where the layers, and particularly something water-resistant, is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on a Baltic cruise last July and only took a light rain coat. I did layer a light weight sweater under the rain jacket, but on my Alaska cruise in June I had gloves, ear warmers, scarf, sweatshirt, long sleeved shirt, a fleece lined rain jacket and a cuddledud vest! I was never cold in Alaska, that’s for sure. Glad I had it all with me, too! The only place I was cold on the Baltic cruise was on deck when the ship was moving.

We were in Baltics in Mid - End July and in Alaska Mid - End June.

I needed more layers in our Alaska cruise mainly on deck in Glacier Bay/on the whale watch in Juneau and when we did our Glacier walk (I wore leggings under my trousers). I was also colder on the ship and could have done with tights for the evenings. I think that in the port towns the two areas were not that much different.

Been on both Baltic and Alaska cruises in July. Disclaimer: I hate to be cold! And neither time was I cold. Baltic is generally warmer than Alaska. For both cruises expect rain, possibly heavy, so the most important layer is the outer one. It should be waterproof, as well as your shoes. Silicone waterproof spray works great if you don't want to buy new gear. Add a scarf and gloves and you should be fine for most excursions. We'll be on our third trip to Alaska the end of August. Will have to start planning my wardrobe soon!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app