Kuri Bay, Western Australia

erisr

Can anyone give me any information about this port? We will be there next January on the Maasdam. The only tour offered so far is a 1¾ walking tour of a Paspaley pearl farm for US$60. I suspect that the pearl farm may be about all there is there. Are there other things we can do on our own here? Beaches? Walks? I think that P&O and Princess call there occasionally. HAL has no information on its website apart from the tour details. Any information would be appreciated.

Change of maps brings it up.

Doesn’t look to be much there.

There is an aboriginal art centre that could be a good visit.

Thanks for looking it up. It comes between Broome and Darwin on our cruise so it's somewhere in the Kimberley. I guess we'll probably do the pearl farm excursion and see what else presents itself for the rest of the day.

Sounds like a real bucket list destination. I also googled it and P&O,s port guide came up. The pearl farm was also the only tour and they also stated that only those on the tour would be able to go ashore. Looking forward to hear how HAL handle the call .

There won’t be many people on our planet who are able to say they have been there. Enjoy.

Sounds like a real bucket list destination. I also googled it and P&O,s port guide came up. The pearl farm was also the only tour and they also stated that only those on the tour would be able to go ashore. Looking forward to hear how HAL handle the call .

There won’t be many people on our planet who are able to say they have been there. Enjoy.

Thanks. I'll let you know when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Aloha3 said:

Port charged notified today.

Was this an official ship excursion only?

What did you do on the day

We were at Kuri Bay on a Maasdam cruise in January last year. Kuri Bay is a working pearl farm owned by Paspaley Pearls; there is nothing else there. As it is all private property, we could only go ashore if we were on a ship’s tour. There were a number of these to choose from including a zodiac tour (Maasdam has its own zodiacs) and flights on Paspaley’s flying boat. We did one called “Kuri Bay Walk & Pearl Farm”, which was a guided tour (by Paspaley employees) of the pearl farm operation and the surrounding property. This tour was running pretty much all day, lasted about 2 hours and was fairly modestly priced. I have zero interest in pearls but I found it very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed it. It helped that the farm manager had joined the ship a couple of days earlier and gave a few talks on board about pearling. The coast around there is quite spectacular. The ship anchored in a sheltered bay and landing was by tender. It was extremely hot the day we were there and the pathways around the property are a bit rough and rugged, but the guides were very good; they took us up to a spectacular lookout as well as explaining the pearling operation. There were plenty of places to sit under shade, and cool drinks, around the farm buildings. I thought it was a great experience to be able to go there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, erisr said:

We were at Kuri Bay on a Maasdam cruise in January last year. Kuri Bay is a working pearl farm owned by Paspaley Pearls; there is nothing else there. As it is all private property, we could only go ashore if we were on a ship’s tour. There were a number of these to choose from including a zodiac tour (Maasdam has its own zodiacs) and flights on Paspaley’s flying boat. We did one called “Kuri Bay Walk & Pearl Farm”, which was a guided tour (by Paspaley employees) of the pearl farm operation and the surrounding property. This tour was running pretty much all day, lasted about 2 hours and was fairly modestly priced. I have zero interest in pearls but I found it very interesting and thoroughly enjoyed it. It helped that the farm manager had joined the ship a couple of days earlier and gave a few talks on board about pearling. The coast around there is quite spectacular. The ship anchored in a sheltered bay and landing was by tender. It was extremely hot the day we were there and the pathways around the property are a bit rough and rugged, but the guides were very good; they took us up to a spectacular lookout as well as explaining the pearling operation. There were plenty of places to sit under shade, and cool drinks, around the farm buildings. I thought it was a great experience to be able to go there.

Thank you, this is very helpful. 🙂

• 3 years later...

Some useful info here on Kuri Bay. 

We're on a P&O cruise up there at the end April 2023.

I hear:

There is not the ability to go ashore unless on a ship's tour. Currently AUD69 which is OK.

We'd prefer to amble around on our own.

The shore tour is 1½ hours.  Can we stay ashore longer than this and return to the ship later?