Akaroa Harbour questions

hylasgirl

Hi all... does anyone have any recommendations on things to do in this port? It looks beautiful but having a hard time finding things. I'd LOVE to do something active... SUP'ing or bike tour. Anyone have any experience with this port? Also, where exactly do we go into on the tenders?

Hi all... does anyone have any recommendations on things to do in this port? It looks beautiful but having a hard time finding things. I'd LOVE to do something active... SUP'ing or bike tour. Anyone have any experience with this port? Also, where exactly do we go into on the tenders?

The tenders will take you right in to town and you can cover the whole town easily on foot. Akaroa has a French influence in many of the restaurants and shops and is a really picturesque little place to wander around. There will be many tourist operators waiting on the tender wharf and offering a wide variety of active and non active experiences. The harbour trips to see the miniature dolphins and penguins are very popular and will be also offered as a ship's tour. The other alternative is a full day tour by bus to the city of Christchurch.

• 6 months later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:52 PM, hylasgirl said:

I'd LOVE to do something active... 

Swim with the dolphins!  There are many other places that you can do the dolphin experience thing, but those poor dolphins are caged in a pen.  I feel sorry for them and I wouldn't support that type of activity.  But the dolphin swim tours in Akoroa are with wild and free Hector dolphins.  They just like to play with the swimmers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Just wanted to say you're a great blogger - so fun to read your blog posts!

Thank you. It’s a labour of love that brings me joy and pleasure sharing 😜

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, roothy123 said:

Late to add to this, but IF you're interested in fun and fanciful mosaic works of art, the gardens of the Giant's House look fabulous to me!  

They are fabulous, and the view from the top.of the garden are wonderful too.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ