South Korea ports

Maksim

For those that are scheduled to visit South Korea ports. Have you heard anything from the cruise line or fellow cruisers in light of the most recent events? I am wondering if we are still going there. If not, I hope Cruise Line comes up with some other exciting ports. If anyone finds out, please post here. Our cruise starts on April 11 out of Hong Kong. Thank you! :(:confused::eek:

For those that are scheduled to visit South Korea ports. Have you heard anything from the cruise line or fellow cruisers in light of the most recent events? I am wondering if we are still going there. If not, I hope Cruise Line comes up with some other exciting ports. If anyone finds out, please post here. Our cruise starts on April 11 out of Hong Kong. Thank you! :(:confused::eek:

What are you talking about?

We are on the same cruise with things to do already booked for Jeju and Busan, and have heard about nothing to concern us..:confused:

I am talking about possible military actions between North and South Korea. Hope there is no danger to go to these two ports.

No dont stress we are faraway from that action..there is nothing on traveller warnings on our government websites, and the cruiseline would have put out a warning by now..

That talk has been going on for a while.

If there was any significant concern, the US State Dept would post a warning here:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

North and South Korea go through a regular cycle of détente followed by lots of saber rattling and even some live fire incidents. I lived in Seoul, which is far closer to the border (and within artillery range) than the cruise stops in Busan and Jeju and we were never seriously concerned.

We're on the same cruise as you. It does seem to be a volatile and unpredictable situation.

I suspect that nothing will change unless official governmental advice changes (as that will impact on travel insurance policies).

I've signed up to our government's (UK) travel advisory alerts service for the area. At the moment it's saying that it's still ok to travel to the south, but watch this space. So I guess that's all we can do for now.

Edited by lilianani

We're on the same cruise as you. It does seem to be a volatile and unpredictable situation.

I suspect that nothing will change unless official governmental advice changes (as that will impact on travel insurance policies).

I've signed up to our government's (UK) travel advisory alerts service for the area. At the moment it's saying that it's still ok to travel to the south, but watch this space. So I guess that's all we can do for now.

Hi Beth, well, it seems like it could be a bit of bother after all..lets hope not..

I wonder where they will send us if not to S. Korea??

Anyway, I will see YOU At the races..:D

Hi Jann

Yes looking forward to my first ever trip to the geegees! If you're going to do it - might as well do it in style:D

Hubby and I made a guess that if things escalate and we have to miss Busan, it might mean an extra day in Nagasaki, Jeju or Beijing.

We're researching back up plans as to what else we might like to do with out time in Nagasaki or Jeju - plenty of DIY options as we'd only picked the highlights on our to do list for those anyway. With Beijing, we have a private car and guide for the whole day on day 3, so if necessary we could take longer to do the things we have scheduled there and be delievered back to the ship later than planned I suppose, then look at more local options (e.g. Tianjin itself) for the last day.

I hope if Celebrity makes changes to the itinerary it's soon enough for people to cancel tours and make new plans.

Cindy, With just over a week till we leave home who knows ...

At least once on the ship we will have a better idea, but its too late to organise private stuff then, and the ships tours, if any, will be swamped if its a different port etc..

Damn that funny looking Korean dictator..:mad:

Edited by jannandjohn

I recall the 2011 spring Asia season for the Diamond Princess which had itineraries changed several times. First, Laem Chabang, was removed as a turnaround port due to protesters shutting down the airport the year before. Then, Busan was removed from the itinerary due to the North Korean shelling incident. Finally, it was the tsunami and Fukushima incident and Japanese ports were removed and Busan was put back in.

Just spoke with Celebrity. At this time they are not showing any changes in the itinerary, however, this doesn't mean they can't change it last minute or even during the cruise. They assured me that they will not take us into the port if it is not safe. Let's just keep watching. One conclusion from this situation is that I will not exchange Korean currency prior to the trip. If anyone learns anything new, please post here. Thank you.:D:(

I'm still on mailing list from the US Embassy in South Korea from when I lived there. For everyone's info, they sent out this email today:

Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:11 PM

Subject: A Security Message for U.S. Citizens

The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that despite current political tensions with North Korea there is no specific information to suggest there are imminent threats to U.S. citizens or facilities in the Republic of Korea (ROK). The Embassy has not changed its security posture and we have not recommended that U.S. citizens who reside in, or plan to visit, the Republic of Korea take special security precautions at this time. The U.S. Embassy takes as its highest priority the welfare of American citizens in Korea. Should the security situation change, the Embassy will issue updated information.

We urge U.S. citizens to keep in regular contact with family and friends. U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad are encouraged to enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), to receive the latest travel updates and information and to obtain updated information on travel and security issues. We encourage you to read the Emergency Preparedness Section of the Embassy website. You can also get global updates at the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs website where you can find the current Worldwide Caution, Travel Warning, Travel Alert, and Country Specific Information. Follow us on Twitter and the ACS Seoul page on Facebook as well, or you can download our free Smart Traveler App, available through iTunes and the Android marketplace to have travel information at your fingertips. U.S. citizens without Internet access may register directly with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, U.S. citizens make it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

American Citizen Services

U.S. Embassy, Seoul

Unit #9600

DPO AP 96209T

el: 02-397-4040 (Passport Inquiry line)

Tel: 02-397-4114 (All other services)

Fax: 02-397-4080

English: http://www.asktheconsul.org/

E-mail: seoulinfoacs@state.gov

Just spoke with Celebrity. At this time they are not showing any changes in the itinerary, however, this doesn't mean they can't change it last minute or even during the cruise. They assured me that they will not take us into the port if it is not safe. Let's just keep watching. One conclusion from this situation is that I will not exchange Korean currency prior to the trip. If anyone learns anything new, please post here. Thank you.:D:(

Just heard on abc good morning America that North Korea warned all Americans to get out or stay clear of South Korea! Wow- between that and millenium having propulsion problems doesn't sound good. We are booked on same cruise next year and did Xmas/ New Years cruise on millenium this past Xmas. Went to hk, Vietnam,bangkok & singapore. Ship was totally rundown but Vietnam and Bangkok amazing! If I had to miss hauling bay like last cruise I would not be happy! Celebrity needs to retire millenium b4 more major issues. Or they will be the next carnival!

Stay safe and enjoy and bring cipro for noro virus.....just in case!

• 5 years later...
What are you talking about?

We are on the same cruise with things to do already booked for Jeju and Busan, and have heard about nothing to concern us..:confused:

Help! We are stopping in Busan in Oct. any suggestions outside of cruise ship tours?

Sent from my iPad using Forums